Area of integration, help plz (1 Viewer)

HSC
Calculate the area of the region bounded by:
y=1/x^2 + 2
y= -2x+5
x = 4

Answers were not given

Thanks in advance.

HSC

EDIT: Thought maybe i'd explain a few things. The reason you don't integrate straight between the point of intersection of the two curves (x=1) and the boundary x = 4 is because the area produced is not uniform. If you were to sketch the situation, you would see that from 1 to 5/2 (where the straight line cuts the x-axis) is one uniform area between the two curves. From 5/2 to 4 and the x-axis is uniform for the 1/x^2 + 2 graph so you only have to integrate that. Hope this makes sense.
mmm
But if you find the area of y=1/x^2+2. Isnt that = area in between the graph and y =2 ?

as y = 2 is an asymptote of y= 1/x^2+2

gurmies

Drover
HSC
mmm
But if you find the area of y=1/x^2+2. Isnt that = area in between the graph and y =2 ?

as y = 2 is an asymptote of y= 1/x^2+2
Hmm, good point. I'm not too sure about this actually. On second thoughts, i'm quite sure you can't integrate over an asymptote.

shaon0

HSC
Hmm, good point. I'm not too sure about this actually. On second thoughts, i'm quite sure you can't integrate over an asymptote.
I don't think you can't integrate over an asymptote as the area will be undefined at a point. But I maybe wrong entirely.

Last edited:

shaon0

HSC
Can't say. At this point it remains trivial, although i'm leaning towards it not being able to be integrated. Then that means the question is void, does it not?

EDIT: Actually, maybe just integrate from the curve to y = 2 line and then add the rectangle below as it's a constituent of the whole area? Not sure..
You could take a limit as the function approaches the asymptote and integrate to infinity but that's too complicated and not necessary since gurmies has already got the solution. Should just wait for Trebla.

Last edited:
HSC
i showed u in class today lawrence...
You did, but i didnt accept it that day

but ye i do understand it and theres also another method for this but longer
.....im guessing your demanding a thanks from me lol?

thanks =p

Last edited:

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Drawing a diagram will always help because you can see what you have to integrate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)