artificial blood (1 Viewer)

joey_1234

HSC
how did you go about justifying its development and research??

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
easy question!

mentioned that theres a lack of donated blood, to meet demand they need to formulate artificial blood. PFC (perflurocarbons) was the example that I used, and although it can carry more O2 than Haemoglobin it cant yet carry nutrients, wastes hormones etc therefore they need to develop more effective forms of artificial blood blah blah...

licia

HSC
im pretty sure i stuffed this one up.... but i mentioned the use of artificial blood in emergency transfusions, the rewards associated with the availability and the fact that artificial blood is not blood-type specific and is guarenteed not infected... thats all i remember writing about- but theres so much more i should ahve mentioned... :S

SweetSeasons

HSC
didn't the question ask to justify further research and development?
I talked about increasing the oxygen carrying capabilities, more then what they are now, and increasing the self life, for longer. some other stuff and i wrote stuff in the columns cause everything gets marked and i wasn't too sure how to answer the question.

HSC
it only asked to justify it not to explain the process andd shit so u didn't have to use much biological terms,

all i said was 'there is a lack of donated blood so the it is imperative that further research is conducted to perfect the formulation of artifical blood'

MattMMM

I just mentioned its advantages over donated blood such as compatible with all blood types, doesn't carry diseases, etc. It also lowers the need for donated blood.

Jessisbored

HSC
shit it said justify which means 'support and argument or conclusion' uhhh i dont think i did that i just said its use by saying this r+d needs to occur, is that a conclusion :p ???

HeyKrazi

did anyone mention say that it is UNJUSTIFIED, to an extent. eg: unknown side effects, eg: causing internal bleeding in rats

malkin86

HSC
I just said HIVAIDS and new variants of this.. and also lack of donated blood. 80% of Australians need blood at sometime in their life, and only 3% donate regularly. I should donate blood.

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
I wrote about lack of donated blood and less chance of the blood rejecting organs in organ transplants. I dont know where that came from but i thought I'd write it anywayz cos if im right i will get marks and if im wrong i shouldnt lose marks.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i talked about blood shortage and need for haemorrages. non-blood type discriminant

BelindaJ

ugh!..juussst b4 the exams started..i was like..artificial bloood?!..whats it called!?..n i couldnt find it in the books...but someone was like..PFC...n i was like..ohh right..whats PFC..perfluorocarbon??...n theyre like..cnt remember..n im like..oh well..ok...n then..in the exam i was like..SHITE!..i didnt want to put perfluorocarbon coz i wasnt sure if it was right..i put PFC tho..u think they would mark me wrong?..or down??...

sopha_bear

mmm... i think it was all in the EXCEL biology book

artificial blood = haemoglobin oxygen carriers or sumthing
as heamoglobin oxidises, this stops it from carrying O2.
so research is needed to:-1) find a way to reverse it, and 2) also to make artificial blood last longer in the body.

if any1 else has already said something along these lines, sorry for the repetition hehe

skyfox

PFC's isn't just the only type of artificial blood, they also use saline and water based nutrient carriers, well that's what i put and that artiificial blood was a universal blood type.

nesstar

i talked about the benefits of artificial blood (reduced risk of blood-borne diseases, make up for shortfall of donated blood) and then said further research is needed because current options cannot safely perform all the functions of real blood without damage to the patient. I used haemoglobin based oxygen carriers as an example, as they are an efficient alternative to blood, but breakdown into toxic subunits.

cwilson

i talked baout justifying the research.. i didn't give specific examples such as pfc (completely forgot when i was in there) will that be ok?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
neither did i but if you look at the do point i think the examples are covered by a different section

alien

HSC
i talked about how artificial blood is smaller and can go through blood clots in stroke victims, and how it can be stored at room temp and how it isn't blood type specific. wasn't too bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)