Arts Inquiry (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
So yeah I got into BA Arts program at Callaghan for next year as some of you may well know, and am planning to undertake the Japanese major.

I was just checking the amount of people who where accepted into arts and it is like a fuck load...so my question is: are there only limited places available in the courses relating to each major??.

If this is the case(I am assuming it is), what steps can i take to ensure that I get into the courses i want or is this generally not an issue.

Also anyone with some info on what the Japanese major is like please post.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Nope, you can do whatever you want.
There are plenty of cases where there are too many students for a class and they still go ahead with people hanging in the door and sitting on steps and shit.

All you need to do to 'get a spot' is to enrol and register in your tutes (when the time comes).
I doubt the Japanese major would be insanely popular in comparison to some.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Thanks people repage coming your way.

[edit:] The_highwayman, you must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The_highwayman again.

eb590

HSC
I'm doing arts/law at newcastle this year and have found that my timetable seems to overlap slightly. I'm aware that some lectures and tutorials have alternate times, however my courses of ancient history and sociology overlap with 2 lectures that do not have alternate times. i don't want to change my courses, any advice?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Don't go to the sociology lectures.
(Nah I dunno, go to one one week and then the other in the second week. Or withdraw from it and choose something else and do the course another year if it's not a prerequisite).

Edit: No, I say tomaaaaardo.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Hagaren, you totally need to do JAPN2410 in first semester so we can be study buddies.

:party:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I intend to at this stage :party:
I've got a fair few mates that did B.Arts (Japanese), and they said that there isn't too much to it if you keep up with the work as the subjects progress, but they also all say that you need to like language to enjoy it fully.

Other than that, you could always talk to Sato about it (if he's ever in his room).

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
i love languages and Japan & Japanese more than anything, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
nah, i got wait listed for IH.

I'm coming up to Newcastle to look at off campus options this week.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
another Q.

how many courses can i enroll in each semester (or how many units worth)??

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Normal enrollment is 4 courses, 3 still counts as full-time for receiving public transport discounts and stuff, 2 or less makes you part-time, you can enrol in up to 5 without asking for special permission.

More than 5 you have to contact the head of the faculty or something. The only reason I can imagine you'd do more than 5 is if you just barely failed a few courses and had the barest amount to catch up on a repeat to pass a couple on a 2nd try.

In short, enroll in 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)