Arts (Lang) - Psych major? (1 Viewer)

wake_tonight

HSC
With Arts (Languages), one major has to be a language and the other a subject from part A of the arts table thing (for me, linguistics).
I have read that it is possible to major in Psychology too - but i can't quite understand how it would work time-wise. Any advice? Is it just considered a 'minor' and therefore would not allow me to do any post-grad psych courses?
How would it fit into a diagram such as this:
http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/images/content/current_students/pathways/balang-pub-06.gif

Also: looking on the timetable website thing, i have a few clashes, is there any night classes (lectures) etc. that aren't up there that may be available. Or any other way around it? (I'm particularly looking at a PSYC1002 lecture)

And one more question: With the time overseas, obviously your language major can be accommodated over there but is your other major always able to be done overseas?

Thankyou :)

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Yeah, I think that even though that blurb says "another major" from table A, you can really do the other major from table B UOS just like in a regular arts degree. Unless if your really set on linguistics and want to do that as a 2nd major.

Or, your question might really be "Is it possible to do 3 majors?". Is that bassically what you mean "i can't quite understand how it would work time-wise."? I had the same question exactly a couple of weeks ago. And you can fit it all in if you can just make sure you do enough senior credit points for each subject area. You should muck around a bit and see if its doable, but I'd say it probably would be possible time-wise.

the table A and table B units of study- http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/arts/05_tables.shtml

I can't say exactly how you'd fit it into that example diagram- but remember- those senior units in the 4th year can count towards majors (or atleast I think so).

I'm sure Chepas will arive soon and clear it up for you!

I'm doing this degree to, though starting in 07 (deferring).

daiesk

HSC
hey there :)

ok with ur first question about fitting in psych as a major, yep thats possible because according to that brochure we got when we enroled ( u know the one about our particluar courses with all the details) we can complete up to 60 credit points in a Part B course and so since psych is EXACTLY 60 we can major in it within our program. to be honest lol thats actually my own plans if i like psych... lol to do that as a major within my arts (languages) course :)

um cant quite answer ur second question nor ur thrid (hahah cause im kinda in ur same boat being a 1st yr arts(languages) student myself this yr) but i do hope that psyche thingie i told u above was of some help

so what language are u majoring in?

(this is so cool lol ur like the first arts(languges) person ive come across :))

chepas

HSC
Hey wake_tonight. From what I can gather, you want to do three majors yeah? Your language, linguistics, and then psych on top of that?

This isn't impossible, as people above have said. From a bit of skimming through the handbook, the prerequisites for a Psych major are:

http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/arts/03_b_introfac.shtml#psych said:
For a major in Psychology, the minimum requirement is 48 credit points across Intermediate and Senior Psychology* units of study. The Intermediate Psychology units required for the major are PSYC (2011 or 2111), PSYC (2012 or 2112, PSYC (2013 or 2113) and PSYC (2014 or 2114). No other Intermediate Psychology units can be counted towards the major. The Senior units must include at least one of PSYC3011, 3012, 3013 and 3014.
... so you could probably make up these 48 senior credit points from the subjects listed there. I'm not too familiar with how the psych units work and what you have to do for them, but it seems that you have to fulfil the 48 senior credit points for the major. (The first year units don't count in that, as far as I can tell.)

The only real challenge you have is get a timetable that can fit the units you need as much as you can so that you can actually do all these units in the 4 years. The diagram plan that you gave the link for is just an example, and it only counts for two majors.

Re timetable clashes: Timetable clashes are inevitable and happen a lot. For example I have to change a French option I wanted to do because it is at the same time as a German unit I'm doing, and from what the Unit Listing site said, there is no way around it. So again, it'll come down to choosing units that give you as few clashes as possible.

That said, you may find that you can skip one thing and go to another instead, and get aroudn clashes like that. Eg, if there's some really pointless lecture for subject X on at the same time as a tute for subject Y, then go for the tute! (Though warning, this sort of depends, don't take my advice too much there hehe :rolleyes: )

For structuring the degree: 192 needed all up, 144 of which are senior cpts. As far as I can tell, if you need 48 senior cpts for the psych major, then also 36 for each of the majors, that brings you to 120. So you have 24 cpts/4 subjects remaining... It all depends where your interests will eventually go there, for what you choose for the remaining units.

As daiesk said, you can do up to 60 cpts in the one subject area (I think it was 64 even last year, before the changes), so as long as you fulfill the major's requirements you can do more.

Re post-grad: You would probably need to do honours as well, which may be tricky because as I understand it you can really only do honours in the language major, but you could ask to do a joint honours (ie. A German and Psych thesis together, both relating to one another..). So I think honours would be the pathway to any post-grad psych stuff. Any other psych people out there that know more about the actual psych programme lol?

Re exchange and other majors than the language: This depends entirely on what subjects the exchange university offers, and how their own programmes are structured. What language are you going to be studying? Because then I/you can see what kind of unis you'd be looking at and then can research if the way they are structured permits you doing psych/linguistics. I can earbash you about France so far, because I know about its system....

Sorry if what I gave was sort of general and vague. Hopefully there's a psych person out there that can enlighten.

daiesk said:
(this is so cool lol ur like the first arts(languges) person ive come across )
Wow there are three people this year who have got into BA Lang! Yay! Comrades :D. What are all your languages going to be?

Hey fleepbasding you're from the Far North Coast, Lennox etc that you mention in your location? I flew up there to visit one of my old French teachers in Lennox last week and am now in love with the place :). Though at the beach at Lennox I nearly broke a few bones going into the water at the southern end - all the rocks!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
haha, cool Chepas. I live in ballina, which as you probably realised is very close to lennox. It is very nice here indeed! Gotta watch for them rocks, ha ha.

I will be doing french I think. And I'm trying to get some learning done this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)