Assess how the delian leauge transformed into the athenian empire (1 Viewer)

krissyjenko

:) Hi everybody i was just wondering if anybody could help me answer this question as i am having probs!

Qu- Assess how the delian leauge transformed into the athenian empire

I am realy confused please help me! Thankyou.

Muzza666

HSC
N/A
i cant remember everything but firstly all the helenotomae ( tresurers) were athenian, they then moved the tresury from Delos to Athens, and they enslaved or destroyed any city state which wanted to leave the leauge.

And used the resources from the Delian leauge to beautify Athens

Every city state in the league had to contribute money, food , men , ships or whatever was determined by the tresurers and eventually it became to much for some because there was no imminent threat from persia

Muzza666

HSC
N/A
and also over time they set up garrisons in most states and eventually the city states fell under athenian control then athens brought in its imperial policies
then it became the athenian empire

have you read Thucydides- The History of the Pelleponisian War

it will give you pretty much all the information you want to know

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
you have to say that the transformation was a gradual process. ie. it took a long time, and use examples showing how athens started to not include others in their decision making.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
we did a practice on this yesterday - some of the things u would look at are;

- the fact athens did not want / plan to become an empire initally - very very importnat to mention - thucydidies states that power was thrust upon her hence she had no choice but to accept power

- athenian leadership of the delian league - Backs up point before - they were voted into power because the people did not wnt Sparta to lead after the exploits of pausanious the regent

- the subjection of member states within Delian League - revolt of Naxos - subjecation of Thasos, Carysus - they made sure these nations did not leave to teh leguage and made nations become full tribute states to athens rather then allowing them autonomy

- moving the treasury of Delos to athens - became used for athenian projects instead - (building temples and the like) - All money went into athens and taxes from nations - so much so that athenians did not have to pay taxes for a period

so there is just a few points you can use

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
“It is more worthwhile to see the transition of the Delian League into the Athenian Empire as a progressive intensification of control by the Athenians, exercised as early as the suppression of Naxos’ revolt in 471” – T. Buckley

-The basis of Athens’ imperial power was the fleet
-More allies were beginning to choose to donate money as the phoros rather than to build and man ships. Athens’ naval strength was increasing at the expense of the allies
-The revolt of Naxos and Thasos shows how the Athenians were now forcing some members to stay in the League, thus becoming subject states.

“Naxos was the first allied city to be enslaved” - Thucydides
“Athens’ actions against Thasos in 465 was blatantly self seeking and imperialistic” – T. Buckley
“Athens did change during the first 30 years after the formation of the League, from a hegemon into a ruler and other member states from allies into subjects”
– Character of the Athenian Empire

-In 454 BC the League treasury was moved from Delos to Athens. This shows how Athens was taking control of the League to benefit herself. Athens now longer consulted allies, who now had little or no control over their own foreign affairs. The tribute paid into the treasury was being used not only to maintain the fleet but to rebuild and beautify Athens.
-By 450 BC most of the allies were subjects of Athens.
-The Athenians grew in power because of their means of control over the other states:
-Forcible suppression of revolts – Naxos, Thasos, Megara, Euboea. Evidence: Chalcis decree
-Athenian settlers as colonies or cleruchies
-Judicial control. Evidence: Thucydides suggests court hearing were moved to Athens
-Athenian garrisons. Evidence: The Eruthrae decree in 453 BC
-Payment of tribute – it was in the interest of Athens to lower the status of allies from non-tributary to tributary to subject status, thus allowing control over internal affairs
-Support for pro-Athenian democracies, participation in Athenian festivals, coinage decree
-Powerful navy fleet – the most important means of control, as many members were islands in the Aegean or on the coast. With this naval strength Athens could put down revolts with great force.

“For no city can do without exports and imports but it will no be permitted to trade unless it submits to the rulers of the sea” – The Old Oligarch
“The most effective instrument of control…was the Imperial war fleet without which her other devices would have been ineffective” – D.A French
“The assertion of Athenian power over her allies, and her interference in their affairs, are among the clearest evidence of her imperialism” – D.A French

Hope that helps, the first quote by Buckley is really good, since it was a gradual wearing down of the united power, with allies depending on Athens more and more.

jimmik

HSC
my my, the bograt has done his homework. very thorough. gud stuff :mad1:

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Fark man, this is probably the section that really let me down... but in class we only spent about 3 weeks on it :S I know pretty much nothing on it... I see lost of studying for this before the exam... eurgh...

Though I remember that when they made the pact they threw a lump of lead into the sea to... what's that word... I can't remember but they did it to make the pact/oath more "authentic", so to say...

becky_baby

Hey, i got this information off another thread in here somewhere! i hope its useful, i thought it was:

ACTIONS OF THE DELIAN LEAGUE

“The way in which Athens reached her position of power was as follows.”
(Thucydides I.89.1)
I.89.-118 is an account of Athens’ imperial expansion inserted by Thuc into his history in order to explain the Spartan decision to declare war in 431. He believed this was caused by Sparta’s fears of further aggression by Athens, inspired by the fact that so much of Greece had fallen under Athenian control. Thuc relates the circumstances in which Athens found herself after the Persian Wars and how she used this situation to build up her power.

When the Athenians returned from evacuation (at Troezen, Salamis and Aegina) they also began to rebuild their city and walls, which had been devastated by the Persian occupation. The Spartans didn’t like the look of this and sent a delegation to Athens to dissuade them (Thuc I.90). They were apparently under pressure from their allies who were alarmed at the unprecedented size of the Ath. navy and their fighting spirit during the war. Their real motive was not revealed to the Athenians; instead, they gave a spurious reason for demolishing the walls. Themistocles instigated a plausible response to the Spartans and used delaying tactics to dupe them. The restoration of Athens was undertaken with great haste, and is so strongly emphasised by Thuc in this excursus that one must question what Athens’ intentions were: rearming, rebuilding, constructing a system of interconnected walls..? The fear and suspicion which intensified among her neighbours would have conveyed to them that Athens was aiming at imperialism (in less than 50 years, the period known as the Pentacontateia, this was achieved, culminating in the Peloponnesian War).

The first recorded action of the DL was the siege of EION, commanded by Kimon in autumn 477. It was taken from Persia in 476, its inhabitants enslaved. (I.98.1) This action was clearly a legitimate step in the war against Persia and must have caused no concern.

In 476 the DL captured SCYROS, inhabited by the Dolopians. The people were enslaved and an Ath. cleruchy established (Thuc I.98.2; Diod 11.60.2) The Athenians profited from the expedition but no objections came from the allies (they were actually quite pleased!!) ast the Dolopians were semi-barbaric, piratical people. When they were expelled, the Athenians were lauded: “they liberated the Aegean.” (Plut. Cim, 8.3-6) Establishment of a cleruchy guaranteed continued freedom from piracy.

The expedition against CARYSTUS, which was not under Persian rule, nor were the people piratical. They had apparently committed no action to merit attack.They had fought on the Persian side during the war, thus could expect little sympathy from the Greeks. The assumption was that Carystus was not part of the DL and that this expedition compelled her to join. She later appears on the tribute lists as a member, making regular money payments (ATL III.198; Gomme, H. Comm, I.281-82; Thuc. I.98.3). This is the first known case of compulsion being used to join the DL and it seemed to have approval. Carystus was unpopular because of its medizing, and it was considered unfair that she should benefit from DL efforts and protection from piracy unless she became a member.

This use of force/coercion/compulsion was to prove ominous in the future.

In 470, NAXOS, an original member, rebelled. No reason is given by Thuc. He merely says: “After this came the operations against Naxos, which had tried to defect from the Confederacy; it was brought down by siege. This was the first allied state which, in defiance of the covenant, was reduced to the status of a slave.. (I.98.4)
It is uncertain, but likely, that Naxos was forbidden a navy, thus they had to pay tribute. Perhaps a garrison was installed, or land confiscated, or a cleruchy settled on confiscated land (ATL III.156-7). Athens apparently acted with DL approval (see Kagan p.46): “Rebellion could not be allowed or the alliance would soon disintegrate" (p.46). Thuc uses the attack on Naxos for a general account of the change in the nature of the DL, clarifying the fact that Naxos was not the only state in rebellion, and that increasingly harsh treatment of rebels was the rule (Kagan p.46)

Rebellions occurred when members were unwilling or unable to pay tribute, supply ships, or do military service. Athens was strict about tribute collection and exaction of service.

The demeanour of the Athenian commanders also changed, mainly due to circumstances. “The Athenians were no longer equally pleasant as leaders. They no longer bahaved as equals on campaigns, and they found it easy to reduce states that had rebelled,” (Thuc I.99.2)

Rebellions and reductions provided a vicious circle for the allies. Each rebel state was forced to yield a fleet and pay tribute, becoming weaker while Athens grew proportionately stronger. “The Athenian fleet was increased by their payments, while whenever they themselves revolted, they set about the war without preparation and without experience.” (Thuc I.99.3)

Growing allied discontent must have been increased by Kimon’s great victory at EURYMEDON in 469. (Thuc I. 100.1; Plut. Cim 12-14; Diod. Sic. II.60-62). The victory was so decisive, damage so great. booty so considerable, that it led some allies to believe the DL was no longer necessary (Kagan p.47) The Athenians (perhaps correctly) continued as the Persians had not completely abandoned the Aegean. (DS II. 62) The allies became increasingly restive which required greater compulsion from Athens.

In 465, THASOS, a charter member, who was rich and powerful, revolted. (Thuc I.100.2) The causes were different to those of the Naxian revolt. A disagreement with Athens over trading stations on the Thracian coast and a mine there provoked this. As they were rich yields, their loss would be a great economic blow to Athens. Simultaneously, Athens was establishing a colony at ENNEA HODOI (“nine ways”)
Also called AMPHIPOLIS, it was located on a bend in the River Strymon which radiated from here in several directions. It was a DL undertaking and sensibly designed to be a strategic base against the Macedonians, and would also probably extend Athenian influence to Thasos which in turn, led to rebellion. (ATL III.258) The colony was abandoned after a serious defeat by the natives. Thasos withstood a siege for over 2 years, but was defeated and was compelled to surrender:
• Its walls
• Its ships
• The Thracian coast *Thuc I.101.3
• The mine
• They also had to pay an indemnity in the form of tribute (immediately!)
This was the harshest treatment yet imposed. It led to great profit for Athens, yet increased her unpopularity.

The situation of the alliance by 462 was, according to Diodorus Siculus: “In general, the Athenians were making great gains in power and no longer treated their allies with decency as they had done before; instead they ruled with arrogance and violence. For this reason most of the allies could not bear their harshness and spoke to one another of rebellion; some of them even disdained the League Council and acted according to their own wishes.” (DS II.70.3-4)

Implied independence and open defiance were impossible as long as Athens was not distracted. By 462, Athens was in a struggle with Sparta on the mainland. For 15 years Athens was involved in war on land and sea, from Egypt to the eastern Mediterranean to the Greek mainland. In such circumstances, some disaffection was inevitable (Kagan p.48). Under pressure of war and rebellion, Athens resorted to harsher means to assume control. The ultimate outcome of this was EMPIRE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)