Assessment ranks (1 Viewer)

Stressedassss

HSC
If your assessment rank is not in the top 10 for two out of 5 subjects, would that affect your ATAR greatly by scaling down the HSC exams for those two subjects?

KCAVS

HSC
If your assessment rank is not in the top 10 for two out of 5 subjects, would that affect your ATAR greatly by scaling down the HSC exams for those two subjects?
I think you are misunderstanding what scaling actually is and how it is calculated. The only thing that your position in the class affects is the moderation of your internal mark. Put simply, the internal mark is calculated by giving the highest score in the HSC exam to the person who was ranked first internally, the second highest to the person ranked second internally, and so on until the lowest score is given to the person ranked last. This isn't really the case and there are some more complex calculations involved with the marks given to people who are ranked in positions other than first or last but in a general sense that is how it works. It is important to note that this only occurs with the internal mark, your external mark is the mark that is equivalent to your raw mark from your exam.
Scaling, on the other hand, is a process performed by UAC to ensure that all subjects are given the score that they deserve, for example, an E4 in ext 2 maths is harder to get than a band 6 in standard 1, and so UAC alters the scores so that the mark reflects the difficulty of the exam and the subject so that people choosing harder subjects aren't disadvantaged. This process is really complicated and no one outside of UAC fully understands how it is done, and your scaled marks are never shown to you. The scaling of each subject depends on the performance of the whole state and has nothing to do with your ranking in the school.
So yeah, a rank outside of the top 10 will not affect the scaling of your exam marks, however, it will affect the mark you are given for your internal mark.
An important thing to note is that the HSC is over and that there is no point stressing over what has already happened, which I know can be hard, but just remember that it's done and that no amount of stress can change what has already happened. Try your best to relax and remain positive :)

Stressedassss

HSC
I think you are misunderstanding what scaling actually is and how it is calculated. The only thing that your position in the class affects is the moderation of your internal mark. Put simply, the internal mark is calculated by giving the highest score in the HSC exam to the person who was ranked first internally, the second highest to the person ranked second internally, and so on until the lowest score is given to the person ranked last. This isn't really the case and there are some more complex calculations involved with the marks given to people who are ranked in positions other than first or last but in a general sense that is how it works. It is important to note that this only occurs with the internal mark, your external mark is the mark that is equivalent to your raw mark from your exam.
Scaling, on the other hand, is a process performed by UAC to ensure that all subjects are given the score that they deserve, for example, an E4 in ext 2 maths is harder to get than a band 6 in standard 1, and so UAC alters the scores so that the mark reflects the difficulty of the exam and the subject so that people choosing harder subjects aren't disadvantaged. This process is really complicated and no one outside of UAC fully understands how it is done, and your scaled marks are never shown to you. The scaling of each subject depends on the performance of the whole state and has nothing to do with your ranking in the school.
So yeah, a rank outside of the top 10 will not affect the scaling of your exam marks, however, it will affect the mark you are given for your internal mark.
An important thing to note is that the HSC is over and that there is no point stressing over what has already happened, which I know can be hard, but just remember that it's done and that no amount of stress can change what has already happened. Try your best to relax and remain positive :)
Oh wow this really makes so much sense, thanks a lot for your help.
Yes I know don't worry I am not stressing, I was just confused on how it works. Thanks for your advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)