Associate Degree Question (1 Viewer)

Epic

HSC
Hey guys,

I posted this in the ANU section a while ago but all I got was one smart arse comment, so I'll try my luck here.

I'm just wondering about the ANU Associate Degree, on the site it states:

Admission is not dependent on formal attainment measures such as the UAI or other index, or UniTEST.
If this is the case how do they decide who gets accepted and who doesn't? I'm guessing it's decided on a first come first served basis or is the course just so unpopular that they don't have any formal requirements?

By the way, this is just a back up course, in case I do terribly on the exams.

Thanks in advance.

X

xeuyrawp

I assume it's their version of mature entry...? They're usually based on some sort of application.

You should obviously email them if you have any questions.

Epic

HSC
I assume it's their version of mature entry...? They're usually based on some sort of application.

You should obviously email them if you have any questions.
I've emailed them, they do not reply. It's not just mature age entry:

The associate degree is a two-year full-time qualification accredited against higher education requirements undertaken following year 12 or equivalent with mature age entry possible.
And it's not application based as I have already applied for it through UAC.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
It's not that it is unpopular, it's just to help people get into uni that otherwise would not have made it.... basically their version of Open Universities Australia.

From ANU - Admission - Student Administration Services ...
What is an Associate degree?
The Associate Degree is a recognised post secondary, two year qualification accredited against higher education requirements offered by ANU College. Typically the Associate Degree emphasises the foundational, research-based knowledge of an academic discipline. Click here for more information.

Why is ANU College delivering the Associate Degree?
ANU College is delivering the Associate Degree to provide equity in access to the ANU by providing an alternative means of access for capable students. There are currently many people who don't meet the ANU standard entry requirements. An Associate Degree allows them:

to obtain a higher education exit qualification that is recognised throughout Australia
to transfer to an ANU Bachelor Degree program with credit*
access to HECS.
The Associate Degree program does not replace Foundation Studies programs at ANU College or the successful CIT-ANU Associate Degrees in Science, Engineering and Music and the Mature age entry programs offered by the Centre for Continuing Education.

What is ANU College?
ANU College is the English language and academic pathway provider for The Australian National University (ANU). ANU College is situated on the campus of the ANU in Canberra. More information about ANU College can be found at ANU College.

Are students able to articulate into an ANU Bachelor's Degree?
Yes, a student who completes the Associate Degree program could expect to receive up to 48 credit points (typically 1 year) towards an ANU Bachelor's Degree. Students have to successfully complete an Associate Degree program before transferring into a Bachelor's program.

What programs are offered?
There are three streams: Science and Technology, Social Studies and Business.

What ANU Bachelor Degree program can I enrol in on successful completion of the Associate Degree?
Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Science.

Can I study the Associate Degree as a part-time student?
Yes, you can undertake your studies on a part-time basis.

What are the Associate Degree academic standards?
The Associate Degree is accredited by ANU. ANU has engaged ANU College to deliver the Associate Degree program. Assessment for the Associate Degree is monitored and moderated jointly by ANU and ANU College.

What are the admission requirements?
To be eligible for entry into the Associate Degree you must have completed Year 12 or be aged 21 years or more, and be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen.

Where is the Associate Degree taught?
The Associate Degree classes are held on the ANU Campus.

When does each program start?
The first intake of students was in semester one 2008. The next intake will be semester one 2009.

How much does it cost?
The Associate Degree program is Commonwealth supported, and students are eligible for HECS-HELP. A HECS-HELP loan covers all or part of the student contribution amount. If you receive a HECS-HELP loan, the Australian Government pays the loan amount directly to ANU on your behalf. A HECS-HELP debt is recorded for you with the Tax Office against your Tax File Number. More information on HECS-HELP is available at The Going to Uni Homepage.

Are there any scholarships available?
Associate Degree students may be eligible for Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarships (valued at $2,162 in 2008) and Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships (valued at $4,324 in 2008). Further details, including eligibility are available at Scholarships. You can apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship when you apply for entry into the Associate Degree.

Is ANU student accommodation available for Associate Degree students?
Yes, subject to normal application and eligibility requirements. See University Accommodation for more information.

How do I apply?
Students apply through the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) at The Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) processes applications for higher education study at participating Australian institutions.. Applications through UAC are now closed.

Late applications are now being accepted until midnight Tuesday 17 February 2009. Click here to apply.

Will there be an Information Session for me to get more information?
Yes, there is a free Information Session being held at ANU College in September 2009 (Time and date to be confirmed).

ANU College is located in:

Building 95,
Fulton Muir Building Cnr Barry Drive & North Road
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200

Epic

HSC
Thanks for the info but my question actually was "How do they decide who gets accepted and who doesn't?".

Obviously they don't have unlimited positions so there must be some method of selection.

Admission is not dependent on formal attainment measures such as the UAI or other index, or UniTEST.
And if the above statement is correct then I am just wondering how they decide who gets the places in the course...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)