ATAR AND SCHOOL (1 Viewer)

skawjibnjiwdbkda

HSC
Ok just want the rundown please. I am first (or close) in most of my HSC subjects. Why would it be in my best interests to help those lowest in my cohort at school? Could it really help me at all/have any effect if timmy goes from a 50 to a 70 on my ATAR? THANKS

skawjibnjiwdbkda

HSC
First to be nice and second to increase the cohort's mean and hence favour your moderation in subjects that you arent first in
my ranks are
1st in bio
1st in modern
1st in legal
Math Advanced 8th
4th in English Advanced
2nd in SOR

School Rank is about 120-150

For the first reason, I would say I help out decently but just to those that are nice to me

The second, I honestly can't get my head around that. Wdym about the cohorts mean leading to better moderation for those subjects?
Sorry this has probably been done to death on this forum but though to ask

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Regarding the moderation process, it would be favourable if the performance standards of your cohort are high, which is something you can contribute to by helping your peers. If this is attained in all/most of your school-based assessment tasks/exams (i.e. internally) and taken a step further via good overall performance from your cohort in the HSC exams across your subjects, it will mitigate the risk of receiving a lower Assessment Mark, which contributes 50% towards your final mark (i.e. HSC mark) for each of your subjects, in the event where you receive a low/unfavourable rank final rank. However, considering your ranks, I doubt you will be affected by this, particularly in Biology, Modern History and Legal Studies. If your final rank in those subjects ends up being first, then your Assessment Mark will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (i.e. HSC exam mark, which contributes the other 50% towards your final mark) of any student in your cohort.

I hope this helps! :D

skawjibnjiwdbkda

HSC
Regarding the moderation process, it would be favourable if the performance standards of your cohort are high, which is something you can contribute to by helping your peers. If this is attained in all/most of your school-based assessment tasks/exams (i.e. internally) and taken a step further via good overall performance from your cohort in the HSC exams across your subjects, it will mitigate the risk of receiving a lower Assessment Mark, which contributes 50% towards your final mark (i.e. HSC mark) for each of your subjects, in the event where you receive a low/unfavourable rank final rank. However, considering your ranks, I doubt you will be affected by this, particularly in Biology, Modern History and Legal Studies. If your final rank in those subjects ends up being first, then your Assessment Mark will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (i.e. HSC exam mark, which contributes the other 50% towards your final mark) of any student in your cohort.

I hope this helps! :D
Firstly, cheers mate - a great explanation. Just to clarify, the external mark is whatever you get on the bonafide HSC Exam. Internal mark is lets say you came 4th, the 4th highest mark anyone gets in ur school for that subject in the HSC exam.

Given that, why does everyone rave about ur school mattering so much?

specificagent1

HSC
Firstly, cheers mate - a great explanation. Just to clarify, the external mark is whatever you get on the bonafide HSC Exam. Internal mark is lets say you came 4th, the 4th highest mark anyone gets in ur school for that subject in the HSC exam.

smart school = like top 70 is band 6

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

No worries, the external mark (the technical term for which is the Examination Mark) is indeed the mark you get on your HSC exam for each subject. This mark is determined solely based on your own performance and isn't affected by factors such as your rank within your cohort or your school rank.

What you're suggesting in terms of the internal mark (the technical term for which is the Assessment Mark) only applies to the first and last ranks. The highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in your cohort. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in your cohort. In the case of your example, a student ranked 4th may not necessarily receive the same internal as the 4th highest external mark. However, it is likely that they will receive a similar mark. Consider the following moderation example from NESA:

Example table

As you can see, the highest Moderated Assessment Mark (92) equals the highest Examination Mark (92). The lowest Moderated Assessment Mark (50) also equals the lowest Examination Mark (50). In the case of the student ranked 4th, their Moderated Assessment Mark is 59 which does not equal the 4th highest Examination Mark (60), although it is very close.

An academically capable cohort is therefore advantageous in terms of the Assessment Mark (consider what specificagent1 mentioned), because the performance standards would be higher. In such a case, a student may not need to rank at the top to maximse their chances of receiving favourable Assessment Marks across their subjects, as opposed to being part of a cohort with low academic standards, in which case top ranks become a priority. The Examination Marks remain independent of this.

specificagent1

HSC
This mark is determined solely based on your own performance and isn't affected by factors such as your rank within your cohort or your school rank.
In saying that, it is aligned tho but there is nothing you can do to take advantage of this

idkkdi

HSC
Ok just want the rundown please. I am first (or close) in most of my HSC subjects. Why would it be in my best interests to help those lowest in my cohort at school? Could it really help me at all/have any effect if timmy goes from a 50 to a 70 on my ATAR? THANKS
for the ones you are first in, helping others won't do anything. first gets first mark, without the mean adjusting it afaik. for the other subjects, yes perhaps, but likely negligible.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)