Atar Equivalents (1 Viewer)

Samir97

HSC
Say for a high 98 ATAR, what sort of University mark is the equivalent or better? Credit, Distinction, High Distinction (or anything higher if it exists)?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Really its not a thing that can be compared relatively just like that.

I have friends who got 98+ ATARs getting 80-90 WAMs for first year Engineering. But that's just a small bunch of 5 to 10 students. Really, you can have 99+ ATAR students getting a 70 WAM, and 90+ ATAR students getting 90 WAM. There are a lot of factors that come into play once you hit university which makes this quite hard to compare.

JaySea2014

HSC
Uni Grad
What are some examples of other factors come into play?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What are some examples of other factors come into play?
How motivated a student is to do well with their degree, whether the student enjoys the courses they are doing each semester, whether the student is more or less active in university life, whether the student actually studies in an efficient manner for the appropriate course or not, whether the student actually understands what they are learning or if they are rote learning, whether the student picks up any extra responsibilities in life (example moving away from home, having relationships, work), etc.

Also uni is quite different in terms of study habits required compared to HSC. The workload usually rises and the type of work you may have to do might be quite hard.

Those are some from the top of my head at the moment, though others can arise too.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
From a commerce perspective. The 99 ATARS tend to be getting the upper HDs (Around low 90s). Then afterwards its just a bit everywhere. Mid-high 90 ATARS, and mid 90 ATARS, tend to be spread across from high C (low 70s) to HD (mid-high 80s)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
How motivated a student is to do well with their degree, whether the student enjoys the courses they are doing each semester, whether the student is more or less active in university life, whether the student actually studies in an efficient manner for the appropriate course or not, whether the student actually understands what they are learning or if they are rote learning, whether the student picks up any extra responsibilities in life (example moving away from home, having relationships, work), etc.

Also uni is quite different in terms of study habits required compared to HSC. The workload usually rises and the type of work you may have to do might be quite hard.

Those are some from the top of my head at the moment, though others can arise too.
I cannot point a fault in this post.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Also to put things more into perspective last semester I put very little effort in, did not understand the majority of concepts during the semester, and it was only till the 1.5 weeks before exams, that I started to basement hard. Yet I still pulled off a 77. And after the exams, I kinda wished to myself I had studied xyz. So I guess, maybe if I did study during the semester, maybe a wam of low-mid 80s could have been expected.

In light of this, next semester I have plans to go full at it in the hope I pick up a course ranking (gotta aim high). But if not, HDs should suffice.

Samir97

HSC
Basically I got 98.45, and i want to transfer from a health science degree into med, and if i do a degree I have to do well in it to keep my overall academic result high. I heard that if your results in uni fall short of your ATAR, then unis take 50:50 of your atar and uni marks. Also if your uni marks surpass atar, then unis take your uni marks at 100%. So what sort of marks for a health science course woudl i need to surpass my atar?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
It depends on your uni too.

I know for science/maths at USYD that getting high marks is quite hard.

I've seen courses where 1st in the university was only 81.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)