Atar Estimate (1 Viewer)

ColdMint123

HSC
Hey all,
I was wondering if yall could give me an estimated atar for the given overall mark for my year 12. The school needs to estimate my atar for some courses that I am applying to in Uni and they seem to just use the talent 100 calculator with whatever my overall mark is. I was wondering if this is accurate at all? I know that some people have mentioned that you need to convert these marks into equivalent HSC marks?

Anyway, here are my ranks and marks (i go to school ranked 150 ish, usually get 1-2 band 6s for most subjects although 3U math gets more than 10 and 4U maths gets 4-5).

Subject/Rank/Mark
English Adv - 2, 93
Physics - 2, 84
Chemistry - 1, 88
3U Math - 2, 85
4U Math - 4, 82
Legal - 2, 94

Talent 100 gives just under 97, is it too low? or is this fairly accurate?

sab13562

HSC
Use this, Talent 100 is correct but matrix gives you the lowest atar possible based on your results, in your case 96.65, so rest assured you will get that mark and higher.

sab13562

HSC
Keep in mind that it all depends on the performance of the entire state

icycledough

HSC
I tried using the HSCNinja ATAR calculator and it came out with a 97.8 with a range of 0.7 each side (so from 97.1 to 98.5). Keep in mind though that it's quite a big range, and will definitely change from year to year.

specificagent1

HSC
keep in mind that this is raw marks and the calculators are based of HSC marks

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
keep in mind that this is raw marks and the calculators are based of HSC marks
Aren't HSC marks raw marks? I'm confused.

Edit: Nvm just realised that the HSC marks are aligned. Mb lol.

tito981

HSC
its really hard to predict atar from schools stats for low b6 rates, it is more accurate to do exams from past years and predict based from rawmarksinfo. This is because even though your school may get 2 b6 in a subject, these b6 can be drastically different. e.g. 1-95 and 1-90. So it is impractical to predict as such.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Let's use the following example to understand all the terms relevant to a student's HSC results:

1633157397472.png
There are 3 important terms, each of which must be understood correctly, so that the student fully understand their results once they receive them:
  • The Examination Mark refers to a student's external mark (i.e. your mark in the HSC exam for each respective subject). This mark is subject to alignment.
  • The Assessment Mark/Grade refers to a student's internal mark. This mark is subject to moderation.
  • The HSC Mark is the student's final mark for a particular subject. This mark is the average of the student's Assessment Mark and Examination Mark. In this example, the student's Assessment Mark for Mathematics Extension 2 is 84, and their Examination Mark is 80. Therefore, their HSC Mark is

specificagent1

HSC
Let's use the following example to understand all the terms relevant to a student's HSC results:

View attachment 32402
There are 3 important terms, each of which must be understood correctly, so that the student fully understand their results once they receive them:
  • The Examination Mark refers to a student's external mark (i.e. your mark in the HSC exam for each respective subject). This mark is subject to alignment.
  • The Assessment Mark/Grade refers to a student's internal mark. This mark is subject to moderation.
  • The HSC Mark is the student's final mark for a particular subject. This mark is the average of the student's Assessment Mark and Examination Mark. In this example, the student's Assessment Mark for Mathematics Extension 2 is 84, and their Examination Mark is 80. Therefore, their HSC Mark is
so how do we predict anything lmao?

tito981

HSC
so how do we predict anything lmao?
you need to do past years test and find the moderated mark via rawmarkinfo, you can do this for trials but you will need to do at least 5 to gauge which band level you sit at, e.g. if you constantly get low 80s for chemistry you can predict that you are currently sitting at a 91-92 hsc mark.

ColdMint123

HSC
you need to do past years test and find the moderated mark via rawmarkinfo, you can do this for trials but you will need to do at least 5 to gauge which band level you sit at, e.g. if you constantly get low 80s for chemistry you can predict that you are currently sitting at a 91-92 hsc mark.
so using this, my atar sits closer to mid 98 to 99. Is that correct? Given I get similar raw marks in the HSC exam. I guess that would mean my school is giving me a much lower prediction right?

Also how much do my ranks play into this, given im top 2 for most my subjects?

specificagent1

HSC
so using this, my atar sits closer to mid 98 to 99. Is that correct? Given I get similar raw marks in the HSC exam. I guess that would mean my school is giving me a much lower prediction right?

what course requires an estimated atar? Also no one can really predict the rest of the things you asked about

quickoats

HSC
Generally entering raw marks into the ATAR calculator is not accurate at all.

Since you’ve been getting highish marks, best practise is to look up your school on HSCninja and see how many band 6s your school typically gets and calibrate your estimates to enter into the calculator based on that.

tito981

HSC

yeah, if you feel your internal assessments were of similar difficulty to HSC then that would be more accurate than your schools estimate.

Saint Dev

HSC
It's always hard to estimate results when you are at the top of your cohort and there isn't a sizeable body of top-performing students. Something to keep in mind when looking at predictions.

ssoans

HSC
It's always hard to estimate results when you are at the top of your cohort and there isn't a sizeable body of top-performing students. Something to keep in mind when looking at predictions.

what does it suggest if you are around "the top of your cohort and there isn't a sizeable body of top-performing students" ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)