Atar to tutor? (1 Viewer)

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
What atar do you need to tutor?
ppl associate high atar with credibility which is reasonable but imo what matters is the results you got for the subject(s) you're planning on tutoring.

someone with 85 atar but 92 English adv result could probably tutor for the subject better than someone with 95 atar who got 87 English adv, for instance

also another thing to note is that a high atar doesn't necessarily mean you'd be a good tutor, it takes more than brains i.e. it takes character and strategy to deliver a good tutoring service since you also need to be able to improvise and adapt without being unprofessional, be empathetic and sincere not lazy in your teaching/after hours support etc.

iirc your results are pretty amazing (congrats) so you're probs completely capable of being a tutor

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
That depends on whether you wish to become a tutor at a tutoring centre or to become a private tutor. Some tutoring centres may list a specific ATAR and/or subject band as a requirement to be met by applicants. On the other hand, there are no particular requirements that you need to meet if you wish to tutor privately. High academic achievements are usually enticing, although this does not necessarily mean that the person will make a good tutor.

A friend of mine who achieved a 79.20 ATAR worked (and is currently still working) at a local tutoring centre. Despite the lower ATAR, he is quite an organised person and displays an effective way of delivering maths and science content to younger (non-HSC) students. As mentioned above, having the relevant subject knowledge and being capable of providing great explanations are essential characteristics of successful tutors.

I hope this helps! :D

vishnay

God
HSC
ppl associate high atar with credibility which is reasonable but imo what matters is the results you got for the subject(s) you're planning on tutoring.

someone with 85 atar but 92 English adv result could probably tutor for the subject better than someone with 95 atar who got 87 English adv, for instance

also another thing to note is that a high atar doesn't necessarily mean you'd be a good tutor, it takes more than brains i.e. it takes character and strategy to deliver a good tutoring service since you also need to be able to improvise and adapt without being unprofessional, be empathetic and sincere not lazy in your teaching/after hours support etc.

iirc your results are pretty amazing (congrats) so you're probs completely capable of being a tutor
thank you

personally i never looked at a tutor's atar or their actual results when choosing but rather student reviews/past experiences and students' results

since i don't have any previous students that i can advertise and i'm a new tutor i think i should have re-framed the question to "what atar do i need to attract students as a private tutor?"

That depends on whether you wish to become a tutor at a tutoring centre or to become a private tutor. Some tutoring centres may list a specific ATAR and/or subject band as a requirement to be met by applicants. On the other hand, there are no particular requirements that you need to meet if you wish to tutor privately. High academic achievements are usually enticing, although this does not necessarily mean that the person will make a good tutor.

A friend of mine who achieved a 79.20 ATAR worked (and is currently still working) at a local tutoring centre. Despite the lower ATAR, he is quite an organised person and displays an effective way of delivering maths and science content to younger (non-HSC) students. As mentioned above, having the relevant subject knowledge and being capable of providing great explanations are essential characteristics of successful tutors.

I hope this helps! :D
idm working at a tutoring centre but it seems like a lot of them are quite dodgy in their practices (esp some who try to pay their tutors very little)

i do think experience is infinitely more valuable than money however and if i am unable to get students as a private tutor i may just work at a tutoring centre

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
thank you

personally i never looked at a tutor's atar or their actual results when choosing but rather student reviews/past experiences and students' results

since i don't have any previous students that i can advertise and i'm a new tutor i think i should have re-framed the question to "what atar do i need to attract students as a private tutor?"
I mean everybody has to start somewhere, with like very little experience, a few students only and a low rate p hr

even though you have no tutoring experience or existing reputation your atar is still attractive to potential students, try to gain exposure on bos and your social media accounts (seen ppl do it on insta), also irl word of mouth really helps. all my current students are literally family friends lol I didn't have to make much of an effort to find them they like, came to me

surely you'll recruit a couple students after putting yourself out there for the first time, make yourself stand out a little when advertising bc again it's not just the atar that attracts people it's also about the value you promise and commit to providing, eventually you'll gain experience, make a name for yourself and get positive reviews n whatnot. it isn't so difficult I hope, good luck!!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
ATAR is not too important. If you are tutoring maths and you got an 80 HSC mark in english, then there is no link between the two. In your advert when you write it there's no need to state every single mark you got for all subjects just list what is relevant to the subject you are trying to teach.

If I was trying to go to a tutor I would consider the following factors (this is what a lot of parents look at from what I have noticed tutoring):

- marks in the subject being tutored (normally speaking you are unlikely to get students if you didn't get a Band 6 in the particular subjects) --> this unless you go to a tutoring centre but then it's kind of hard to get in to any of the recognised larger ones if other people you are competing against for the job have a 90+ mark in that subject

- previous experience (how long have they tutored for)

- degree being undertaken / completed (it's not a must but it's a bonus if you are doing a degree relevant to that area you are teaching)

(these above things keep them short as possible. It's good to add to your credibility but you shouldn't be spending like half the advert flexing marks lol)

- resources / lesson structure (make it clear how the lessons will be run. Don't say some generic thing like we will go through practice questions. Give specific times and how it's structured. This will depend on the subject but saying things like first 5 min - hw feedback, 10 min quiz, rest of lesson is content + HSC/exam questions relevant to the area. This gives the parent more confidence that you are prepared for the lesson and not just winging it on the spot. How will you deliver homework is it from a textbook, past papers and can they ask you questions during the week if they have problems with questions from your homework or what is being covered at school)

- safety (where will the lessons be held? is it at a library or your house? You should also ASAP if you are planning to tutor get a working with children number / certification. Without that you shouldn't technically be tutoring)

Your prices will be linked to those above things (aside from the safety thing, this is mandatory regardless of the price). As you are starting off I wouldn't charge insanely high fees like 60 an hour or 70 an hour like some fresh out of high school students do. That kind of price is way too high for the limited teaching experience and actual qualifications other than the HSC mark. But in saying that if you have got solid marks like a good band 6 in that area, you shouldn't under value yourself too. Something in the range of 30-35 is a fair price if you have those extra things like marking homework and help during the week over messages. Then after you develop some skills and maybe have some experience at uni if you are doing a similar degree to the subject you can charge a little more or go into some type of group tutoring as your ability to manage students, teaching and knowledge improves.

At the beginning getting students will be hard but you can try things like asking your friends if they have any family or know anyone who is going into year 11/12 that you could tutor. Basically just try ask and post in as many places as you can. You have to do work in the beginning and then as you build a reputation you won't have to look for students anymore and they will come through recommendations from parents/past students if you are doing a good job.

Tutoring centre is like I would honestly say the last resort I would go to. Unless it's like a 1:1 tutoring centre or very small groups you are going to be underpaid for the work you are actually doing. You might be teaching a class of 10 and the company takes the majority of the money. There is the benefit of you don't need to look for students and parent interaction is a bit less but you probably better off in most cases doing private tutoring. It's easier to manage the times, more flexible and safer at this time in COVID.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
thank you

idm working at a tutoring centre but it seems like a lot of them are quite dodgy in their practices (esp some who try to pay their tutors very little)

i do think experience is infinitely more valuable than money however and if i am unable to get students as a private tutor i may just work at a tutoring centre
im sure ull be a great tutor, and ur notes are pre good too considering u didnt even intend them to release them so imagine if u acc put in effort and focus. I think most people would be sold by high ATAR and subject marks but it wouldn't necessarily keep them interested unless their teaching does match their credentials.

ig if u fully understand ur subject and u have the exam tips/tricks then anyone will find u worthwhile, esp if ur not the avg guy asking 100 per hr and half a kidney by monday, then people will just naturally recommend u to anyone else and it snowballs like that. From what I've seen since most students do actually recommend private tutors to their social circles and people do join.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)