Atonement (1 Viewer)

xinxin89

HSC
I just bought this book called Atonement by Ian McEwan, it's currently being made into a film too. Has anyone read it?

HSC
N/A
Yes, it is shit. Especially the middle part. But I'm not into books with war themes.

p.s. Actually, as a movie, it could be pretty good.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
it's a pretty good book

i felt the second half was far less interesting, but the multiple narrative perspectives in the first half was very well done. interesting to read, well written and the device was actually used for dramatic effect, not for the sake of 'experimentation'

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I actually liked it a lot, though it did take me a while to get into the war bits, and I didn't enjoy them as much as the multiple narratives bit in the first half. And it probably could have been a bit shorter. But as someone else said, the multiple narratives bot wokred well, its didn't feel pretensious or experimental for the sake of being experimental. It was like a tense, engrossing game of Chinese whispers. The characters were all pretty intersting I though. And I like the way that it allowed the children characters to have some-what complex personalities, as children in literature are often far to one-dimensional in my opinion.

I'm not sure how I feel about the movie, aparently its going to star Keira Knightly who I haven't liked in anything since Bend It Like Beckham. I think it will loose all the bits that made it interesting and be reduced to a pretty basic war/love story. Blah.

walrusbear

HSC
mustn't have read this thread fully earlier
the movie sounds like an awful idea

a film couldn't capture basically the most important aspect of the novel (it's multiple perspective)
unless it's some shithouse 'rashomon' type thing - fuck that
smegger is prob right, it'll be an awful war drama

walrusbear

HSC
mustn't have read this thread fully earlier
the movie sounds like an awful idea

a film couldn't capture basically the most important aspect of the novel (it's multiple perspective)
unless it's some shithouse 'rashomon' type thing - fuck that
smegger is prob right, it'll be an awful war drama

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)