Aus Study/Youth Allowance (1 Viewer)

HorrorOfBeauty

HSC
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me information on Aus study and Youth allowance..?

I will (hopefully) be attending university next year, but have heard to be eligable to claim these benefits in the previous year you have to earn over $18,000 or so.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Cheers
xx

HorrorOfBeauty

HSC
I read up on it, but am still a little confused..
If I am not considered independant am I still eligable and a family means test will be taken in to account?

Its all so confusing =(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
And if the outcome is that you're not eligible (if your family makes too much money), then you need to make about $18 000 in 18 months at some time and then you'll be eligible.

Bob.

HSC
hey something ive always wondered about youth allowance with the 18 month period is that do you have to wait til you've been out of school for 18 months and have earnt 18000 to apply for it? or just have earnt 18000 within a period of 18 months?

Last edited:

Flindersstudent

HSC
here is a quote another forum about centrelink.
how much money you will get through centrelink depends on a few things.
if you are considered an independent (not dependent on your parents) then you should get close to the full payout (around 370 a fortnight).
you can be classes as independent if you have earnt a certain amount over a coupe years, if you have been living with a partner for over a year, if you have major family breakdown, if your over a certain age.

if your classed as a dependent then how much you can get depends namely on what your parents make.
for example im classed as a dependent however i come from a very (very very) poor family:p so i currently get the full living away from home allowence of a bit over $200 a week (that includes my rent assistance)
however a friend of mine parents have a bit more money (tho not particularily well off) and hence she gets i think about $90 a week.

wheras other students i know get nothing because there parents make too much.

there are lots of other things that im not telling you im sure abnot how it is all worked out.
but thats what i know
i really suggest you get down to centrelink as soon as possible.
they can be a bitch to deal with somtimes, but if you can squeeze some money out of em then its well worth it.
Stolen from here, I hope it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)