Australian Citizenship (1 Viewer)

Aaron.Judd

HSC
I am a New Zealand citizen and have lived in Australia for the past five and a half years, having moved here in May, 2003.

How long does it take to get Australian citizenship? I.e could I obtain it before Semester 1 of Uni starts next year so I could use HECS-HELP?

What are the requirements for citizenship? I.e have I lived here long enough? How do you know if you are a permanent resident (I assume that what I am).

Is the application process different if i want to retain my New Zealand citizenship and have dual citizenship?

The citizenship test would not be a problem as I've only ever spoke English, are from NZ and its (the test) pretty darn easy.

Any help in this would be much appreciated. Thanks, Aaron Judd.

Last edited:

Lori.

HSC
The citizenship website pretty much explains everything, but a word of advice, book your test ASAP! When I did it, there was a three month waiting period. After doing that you'll have to wait for a citizenship ceremony - I could be wrong but I think they're only held twice a year, so there might not be one until Australia day.
So definately get it sorted straight away if you dont want to pay your fees upfront next year!

Aaron.Judd

HSC
So if I booked a test tomorrow, done the test and participated in a citizenship cermony on Australia Day. this would be alright for University and I would be able to use HECS-HELP? I.e theres no waiting period clause or anything?

Aaron.Judd

HSC
Well, it turns out I'm not a permanent resident!!!! So as a NZ citizen, do I need to be a permanent resident first? How do I go about this?

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Would you have a dual citizenship or does it mean giving up your NZ citizenship?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
always.dreaming said:
Would you have a dual citizenship or does it mean giving up your NZ citizenship?
Both Australia and NZ allow dual citizenship.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
Well I'm in the same situation, came here 2001. Im pretty sure u gotta get permanent residency first, which sux cuz its like $3000 or something like that
My parents checking it out with council though, u might wanna do that in case u can get around having to do permanent residency

Lori.

HSC
how are you people allowed to live here without permanent residency?? >:/

yosemite sam

HSC
New Zealanders are allowed to live in Australia for as long as they want because of an agreement between Aust and NZ governments. You can become a permanent resident once you've been here for 2 years.
When I did my citizenship it was only like 3/4 months before we could get it a the ceremony (I got mine before the test came in) and our local council has citizenship ceremonies about 4 times a year ie after the Australia Day one, ours was in April.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
yosemite sam said:
New Zealanders are allowed to live in Australia for as long as they want because of an agreement between Aust and NZ governments.

Seriously, we should block Kiwis from coming here. Taking our jobs, our men, our careers, go back to your own country :shy:

Aaron.Judd

HSC
alez said:
Well I'm in the same situation, came here 2001. Im pretty sure u gotta get permanent residency first, which sux cuz its like $3000 or something like that
My parents checking it out with council though, u might wanna do that in case u can get around having to do permanent residency
$3000? I don't think it is that much.

Aaron.Judd

HSC
So how do I go about obtaining permanent residency and what are the requirements? The governments website is quite confusing on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)