Avatar as a belonging text? (1 Viewer)

plshelp

HSC
Hey i was just wondering whether Avatar directed by James Cameron is a good text for belonging? I can see a lot of aspects of belonging in there and i asked my teacher and he said it was ok. However, im still not 100% whether it is worthwhile to analyse it or not...

And my prescribed text is As You Like It bt Shakespeare so both text seem to be saying that belonging to nature is a good thing...

legen_dary

HSC
N/A
it would work. but it mite be a very popular related text. so there may be alot of overlap with not only ur peers, but the rest of the state

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It would work. However, it is quite blunt with its message, and it is looking likely to be a popular choice among students. So there's that to consider.

plshelp

HSC
Hmm...ok but so far no one i know is doing it as a self selected text.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There were quite a few last year. I'd expect a similar level of popularity this year.

jayy100

HSC
N/A
hmm, just make sure that your "insights" are unique and sophisticated, so that you really stand-out from the others who may choose the text

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd be looking at something that can be much more complex, something that reveals many more layers about belonging.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
My English teacher raged when someone mentioned Avatar was a good text.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Avatar was a COMMERCIAL success. I'm not sure whether it was a CRITICAL success. If you do it, they'll be like, oh another student into mainstream movies with oversalted popcorn.. I'd suggest do a nice poem/foreign film.

Besides, it'd be disgustingly overdone.

brendroid

HSC
I was original. I did anime for a related text. It was a critically acclaimed one too, for the most part, and I knew it so well I could very safely bs my way through some bits that in other texts might seem like a stretch. Although Avatar might work, perhaps a less well known film might work better at providing you with a unique insight into belonging.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
It really depends on your ability to write, and analyse. Also it depends on what kind of mark you want.

I was over the moon with my 82. I used my big fat greek wedding as my RT. It was easy to anaylse and write about, which gets you a decent, but not fabulous mark.

Of course if you want 90's you'll need something more adventurous.

plshelp

HSC
Ok thanks guys =)

yeah my teacher is against disney films too...

I'm struggling to find a film related text that has a lot of aspects of belonging in it. We did Mamma Mia as a class but i dont see how that can be easily analysed for belonging.... Any suggestions that is not too overdone?

brendroid

HSC
Ok thanks guys =)

yeah my teacher is against disney films too...

I'm struggling to find a film related text that has a lot of aspects of belonging in it. We did Mamma Mia as a class but i dont see how that can be easily analysed for belonging.... Any suggestions that is not too overdone?
A couple of the ones I might suggest would be popular ones (namely Edward Scissorhands and Dead Poets Society), but one that I don't think would be all that popular could be Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Spielberg), or even The Time Machine (any version; the basic storyline is the same). I did not use these films however, but you can use any text and as long as you have decent quotes and techniques that you can unambiguously relate to belonging you can do fine.

wrecking

derp.
HSC
Well, Avatar does deal with belonging but personally I wouldn't use it. The only films I can think of from the top of my head are Babel & the House of Sand and Fog.

shimmer205

HSC
Try to think about it from the examiner's point of view - they are going to have to read hundreds of essays, and lots of people will be using popular movies like Avatar. Give them something a big fresh.

Also, while Avatar does deal with belonging, it is about as subtle and multi-layered as a mallet to the head. I would go for something dealing with more interesting, complex aspects of belonging. For example, I used 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini, and talked a lot about cultural belonging. That's been made into a movie too now - not as good, but if you are really lazy...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)