B.Arts/B.Anc students: How is my draft timetable? (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I've created an early draft timetable and would like some feedback before enrolment.

http://i.imgur.com/1BzVW.png - Semester 1

http://i.imgur.com/bTPs9.png- Semester 2.

Blue = lecture
Red = Tutorial

Semester 1:
Tues: 2pm-4pm - Egyptian archaeology: Lecture
4pm-5pm - Egyptian Archeology: Tutorial

Thurs: 8am-11am: Coptic I: Lecture
12pm-1pm: Approaches to English Language: Lecture
1pm-2pm: Approaches to English Language: Tutorial

Friday: 11am-1pm: Egyptian Hieroglyphics A: Lecture
2pm-3pm: Egyptian Hieroglyphics B: Tutorial

Semester 2:
Mon: 1pm-3pm: Antiquity's Heirs: Lecture
3pm-4pm: Antiquity's Heirs: Lecture
4pm-5pm: Myth in the ancient world: Tutorial (There is no lecture?)

Tues: 10am-1pm: Coptic II: Lecture

Wed: 11am-2pm: Hieroglyphics B: Lecture

Thurs: 9am-10am: Existential Questions: Lecture
10am-11am: Existential Questions: Tutorial
1pm-2pm: Mind, Meaning and Metaphysics: Lecture
2pm-3pm: Mind, Meaning and Metaphysics: Tutorial

Can anyone who has done the Bachelor of Ancient History tell me if I'm doing enough in semester 1 and 2 to meet my major?

I am required to do 27cp of electives, so i'm dividing that into 3 elective units a year. I wanted to do 1 English, 1 Modern history and 1 philosophy unit, a year. However the 100 level modern history units don't interest me at all and the 200-300 level units don't require any modern history perquisites.

Also, do my elective units count towards my GPA? I'm taking 2 philosophy units, and although I find philosophy interesting, i'm not sure if i'm good at it. I've never done it before. I'd hate for it to bring down my GPA if I end up sucking.

Also, Also, Coptic I doesn't have a tutorial, while Hieroglyphics A has both tutorial and lecture. While in semester 2, Coptic II and Hieroglyphics A and B don't have a tutorial. Similarly, Myths in the Ancient World doesn't have a lecture. Is this normal? or am I mistaken?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Just wanted to say - O_O you are VERY VERY VERY organised!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ok, so first of all i notice that in your second semester you are planning to take 6 units. The normal workload for a full time student is 4 units a semester, not only would 6 units of study be EXTREMELY difficult to keep up with (let alone get good marks in) you probably won't be able to do it as i don't believe MQ allows first years to overload without a very good reason. I would stick with 4 units and see how you go, you can always drop/add units before the census date (a couple of weeks into semester).

The next thing i notice is that you are planning on taking both Coptic and Hieroglyphs in your first year. In my experience, ancient language units are not really on the same level as other ancient history units, they are quite challenging (especially if you have never studied another language before), fast paced and require constant, dedicated study throughout semester if you want to do well. I'm not saying that it can't be done or that you shouldn't do it, just that you should be prepared to be working very, very hard. For me, Greek A and B were probably the most difficult units i have taken at uni so far, this was because i had never studied a language before and was not prepared for how quickly the class moved. Later on i studied Greek and Latin at the same time and this year i will be studying Latin and Hebrew together, the only reason i feel confident with this is because i now understand how languages generally work and have plenty of experience behind me. However this is just me and i'm the first to admit that languages are not my strongest point (despite being my favourite, go figure), do what feels best for you but do it understanding that the workload of 2 ancient languages will be pretty heavy.

Apart from that, your plan looks good! You are getting stuck into your major (Egypt and the Near East i assume) nice and early so are well on your way to completing that requirement. Your plan for 3 electives a year is fine, providing you are able to meet the rest of your degree requirements at the same time. Also, yes, your electives will most definitely count towards your GPA, every unit you take for credit is counts towards your GPA. If you are worried that your not very good at it, you have till the census date (several weeks into semester) to drop it without financial or academic penalty. What this means is that if you withdraw from the unit after the census date, you will still have to pay for the unit and will incur a fail grade on your academic transcript (which you really want to avoid at all costs).

In terms of the different class types languages tend to work a bit differently, instead of lectures and tutorials they tend to have classes called 'seminars' which are kind of a mix of both and similar to a high school class. The lecturer will explain concepts but you are mostly free to ask questions and discuss problems throughout the class, then you usually do some sort of grammar and/or translation exercise. To me it looks like someones just put down 'lecture' and 'tutorial' for Hieroglyphs A in sem 1 in the timetable, when really what you'll be getting is a 2 hour seminar and a 1 hour seminar. The other languages are probably the same, the timetable says one big lecture, but really it's just one big 3 hour seminar. I've had both of these class set ups for my languages and they are totally normal. In terms of Myth in the Ancient World i don't think the timetable is complete yet, this wouldn't surprise me as Ian Plant (the convener) is away on leave at the moment, i'm sure it'll get sorted by the time you enrol in classes.

Last edited:

Fake-Name

HSC
Thanks for the replies:

@Atlas: Haha, yea. I definitely like to be organised. And I'm also pretty excited to begin studying ancient history.

@May-Cat: Thanks for the response. I will probably remove the Coptic units and possibly one philosophy unit. But I might have to add another elective unit next year to make up for only doing two on my first year. It should be better since I will get to do all the English and Modern history 200 level subjects I couldn't do this year.

@Asylum: I've already watched the HBO series. So I pretty much understand the entire history of Rome. :p

Fake-Name

HSC
haha. Thankyou Atlas. :)

And May-Cat, would it better to do Hieroglyphics A & B in semester 1 and 2, or should I do Hieroglyphics A & Coptic I in my first year, and Hieroglyphics B & Coptic II in my second year?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I would do Hieroglyphics A and B in semesters 1 and 2 of this year and Coptic I and II in your second year, this way everything will be nice and fresh in your mind. Also, consider taking your language studies further than just A and B/ I and II; It takes longer than two semester to become proficient in a language.

Fake-Name

HSC
Thanks for that. That's what I presumed.

I'm definitely going to take advanced coptic studies and Middle Egyptian texts from the 300 level on my third year. I'd love to become proficient in both languages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)