B Combined Law/Science at USYD (1 Viewer)

tracyquang

HSC
Hi guys,
Anyone of u doing B Law/Science?
I look it up in the USYD site and it sounds great.
But I reckon it's gonna be hard so just wanna ask if this course is "doable" ? ^^
thanks heaps

Libbster

HSC
hey i'll b going into 3rd yr science and law and let me tell u, it's a lot of hard work.

while ur arts or commerce/law buddies will have 10-15hrs a week, u'll be looking at anything from 22-27. The least i've had is 22 and that's after finishing all my 4 hr chem labs after week 8. this does not include the law readings which u have to do in ur own time, these can range from 30 mins to 2 hrs per night i've found.

however it is certainly doable if ur willing to put the effort in and type up ur law readings etc

tracyquang

HSC
thank you so much for replying :)
i would like to ask, in your science subjects, do you find it interesting?
i love science but my hsc science teachers were not that good and i kinda expect a lot of great things in every uni science lectures :D
i spoke to a professor on info day and he said only appr. 20 ppl do science/law, it must be hard ay?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
tracyquang said:
i spoke to a professor on info day and he said only appr. 20 ppl do science/law, it must be hard ay?
I don't think it's because sci/law is hard. Science and law together is less common because they are different fields. The traditional combination is something like arts/law or comm/law.

Most high school students who have science in mind are those who have done lots of science-type subjects and are focused with a science frame of mind, and those who are interested in doing law are doing arts- or business-type subjects in high school. So they are more likely to go into arts/law or comm/law.

Fewer students are comfortable straddling science and a humanities-type area like law at the same time. Either that, or it just doesn't occur to them to put them both together. They are both very different fields that not many students look at simultaneously, from a statistical perspective.

tracyquang

HSC
true true
many ppl also share your opinions. :)

Last edited:

tracyquang

HSC
nbdy comes in here anymore?
i would like to ask, i got an offer to combined law course.
and i will combine it with science.
but if i cant cope with the workload, can i drop law and follow the science path?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
tracyquang said:
but if i cant cope with the workload, can i drop law and follow the science path?
Hmm, it should be possible for you to do that, although I really wouldn't have a clue whether you could. Suppose other people will just have to answer your query in a better manner :)

Also, good luck, I'm taking the Law/Science path as well :uhhuh: See you around this year :)

tracyquang

HSC
:D
thx 4 replying.
btw since we r on the subject, what units of study did u choose?
Bio ,Chem ,Phys, geo?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
tracyquang said:
Yes you can, BUT you might have to do some catch up on your units. Should you choose to quit Law, the best time to quit it is after first year, otherwise your units will be a mess. What most (if not all) people tend to do in Law/Science for each semester in first year is:

- ONE pair of maths units (which is compulsory anyway)
- TWO non-math science units (most do Chemistry and Physics)
- ONE law unit

A typical Bachelor of Science degree on its own for first year would require you to do:

- ONE pair of maths units (compulsory)
- TWO non-math science units
- ONE elective (that means any unit of your choice - doesn't have to be science; can be anything random like Chinese...)

Notice that the two overlap because the Law unit takes the place of the elective in a normal Bachelor of Science. Therefore, if you decide to drop the Law degree after first year, you still would have satisfied the requirements for first year Bachelor of Science anyway, so they'll let you go on into second year without making you catch up on any first year units.

Last edited:

Libbster

HSC
u have to do two maths units per semester because maths is only 3 cp and u need 12 cp altogether

tracyquang

HSC
k i c
i got my units of study as :
- one pair of maths unit
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Foundations of Laws
so now i have total 24 units.
I m thinking about adding smthing coz i read somewhere that the max CP u can do is 30. So maybe i'll add 1 elective like u suggested. ^^
but do u guys reckon?
or it's just ... pushing it too hard doing 30 cp?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)