B Commerce with B Arts (1 Viewer)

The_Punter

HSC
I have B Commerce with B Arts at Macquarie Uni as my number 1 UAC preference. I didn't do any form of maths in my HSC and I'm not too sure how much maths is involved with the course. Should I be doing a bridging course for mathematics or am I fine to enter the course with no prior mathematical knowledge? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The_Punter

HSC
I forgot to add that I do not want to major in anything like finance, I would mostly likely aim to major in marketing or maybe HR (if that somehow impacts upon the level of maths I require)

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
I also have B Arts/B Comm at Macq as my first preference. To answer your question, there will be higher level maths involved in the core units of the course, at a 2unit level i believe (2-3 units at most). You aren't the only one though, i only did general maths and will also have to complete those same units, so a bit of persistance will be required, but it's definitely not impossible.

The_Punter

HSC
So do you think I will have to do a mathematics bridging course?

Tiernanv

HSC
A bridging course isn't really necessary imho. ACST101 is a required unit which involves 70% mathematical finance and 30% theory. The hardest form of maths you'll see are basic log equations so if you attend your lectures/tutes, ask questions etc you should be fine. Additional help is also available through consultations

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
I also put down b commerce b arts (arts psych btw) in my preferences and I did general maths. Don't think I'll be doing a bridging course though. What do you guys think the atar cut-off will be?

Last edited:

Official

Bring it on
HSC
ACST101 is a commerce core and is maths heavy BUT the maths is relatively easy, so you should be fine...
in saying this I have my 101 finals tomorrow...

HSC
Uni Grad
ACST101 is a commerce core and is maths heavy BUT the maths is relatively easy, so you should be fine...
in saying this I have my 101 finals tomorrow...
gl for ACST101. I heard the subject's teaching of the theory is fucked up though :/

Anyway, I'm not sure about macquarie uni, but I know that marketing in general has some mathematics, and I doubt HRM has any mathematics though.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I have B Commerce with B Arts at Macquarie Uni as my number 1 UAC preference. I didn't do any form of maths in my HSC and I'm not too sure how much maths is involved with the course. Should I be doing a bridging course for mathematics or am I fine to enter the course with no prior mathematical knowledge? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Actually there is a descent amount of maths involved in 1st year commerce subjects such as ACST101, STAT170 and a bit involved in ECON111 (not necessarily but it can help a lot) ?

From what I hear, you could probably breeze through ECON111 and STAT170 with little maths, but ACST101 could be the one that you may have difficulty with.

You should do MATH123 as your planet unit and then do ACST101 subsequently, this way you should be quite okay with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)