[B]How to study effectively for crime[/B] (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
this is only a opinion of how one should study for crime. i repeat, it is only how i think you should apprach this topic.

first of all, in crime the major way to do well is application of the knowledge that you have in you're head. that is what you have studied for. the acronym that you should be using to help you remember can be:
Lucy = Legislation
Cuddle = Cases
Me = Media
Darling = Documents

the way to study is to study effectively. so therefore, you should remember the following when approaching you're studies for this topic:

1. Legislation.
you must know the acts. these will get you the marks in an exam if you can follow it up by explaining them well. you must also state where the law was from, and the year that the Act was passed into legislation.

ie. XXXX Act #### (****)

XXXX= the acutal act
####= year
****= where it has jurisdiction.

an example of this would be Crimes Act 1900 (NSW).

however, during a test, it is advised that you should not put the year of the Act, unless you are sure that it is certain. that means you can leave it as just, Crimes Act (NSW).
Thanks Joe :p

2. Cases.
therefore:
R v Civilian(year)Court is the state prosecuting.
Civilian v R(year) court is the individual appealing.

civilian v civilian(year)court are an example of a civil case, that is, must be proved beyond the balance of probabilities.

3. Media and Documents

these would be cut outs from newspapers and can also be pages from the net, that have relevance to the case, Act or topic that you will use it in. it is best that you use cases that are orginated in Australia. for crimes, it is best that you use media and documents that are from the state of NSW.

i have grouped media and documents together, because they are quite similar.

Studying For Exams
as aforementioned, study smart, not hard. though you can study hard :p

the way i studied, was to learn all the basic definitions of crime, such as primie face, Mens Rea, or the defences. after you have mastered this, it will then be best for you to remember to start memorising the legislation and the cases.

these will be you're best friend in the exam while you are doing you're essay. therefore, you should have in a typical paragraph in you're essay should be in the format of:

Act, Explanation of the Act, Case, explanation of case, M & D if needed, M & D explanation. elaboration and explanation of the significance of the above to the question.

Know the true meaning of the defences that can be used in each kind of scenario. practice you're skills with either friends, or even on TV. in time it should be 2nd knowledge to you. make sure you practice heaps of them from past papers if you are still quizical about them. some can trick you!!

If you want to further you're understanding of the legislation, try to find a reason why each Act was passed. what was the cause? what influences were there?And in the end, how will the offender be punished.

Effectiveness of the law on the individual
Criminal Punishments

well this is all i can advise at the moment. this post can will be changed with further developements if neccesary. I hope you all do well. now to concentrate on my own hsc :D. Correct if i am wrong, or tell me if a new, and better thread can replace one of the below.

These threads below, i thought would be most suitable.
The Crime LMCD Thread
Crime:Quick Notes
Crime Study Thread
Notes For Crime
Court Structure

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
doh! i've been putting e.g. Crimes Act (NSW) 1900... but i'm sure i got this trend from some textbook.. i don't know this one..
and i just remember LCMD as LCMD.. i'm not a fan of those aconymns.

a good synopsis of crime..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)