B. Medical Science - 1st year program (1 Viewer)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Hey I am wondering if anyone has access to the USYD B. Medical Science 1st year and 2nd year program.

I'm tossing between going to UNSW for B.MedSci or USYD. I had a look at the UNSW program and it appeals to me, but I have no access to the USYD one.

I want to avoid subject areas such as evolution etc, but concentrate more on the anatomy/microbiology etc. By the way, the reason for this decision-making process is so that the B.MedSci (particularly the 1st year of it) will provide me with the best pathway for medicine in the following year or so.

Also, what is the general difficulty level in maintaining a High Distinction average GPA on a scale of:
Easy
Do-able
Challenging, but achievable
Challenging, but achievable if you sacrafice your social life, etc. ?

Any other helpful advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
very nearly impossible impossible

hd average over life of degree = university medal probably and not many people get that

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
First year MedSc is basically physics, chem, bio (microbiology rather than human biology, at least in second semester) and maths. Second year I have no idea about.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
jb_nc said:

hd average over life of degree = university medal probably and not many people get that
Haha, ok, I was just curious.

tennille

HSC
The problem with Medical Science is that the second year subjects are compulsory (I think there's biochemistry, microbiology, etc). It would be more flexible to do B science or B Science (adv), because you can do anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, etc.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
jb_nc said:

There are usually quite a few in each year for B Science (adv.), which is possible if you make "the marks you will get" a primary concern. However, this is possibly unheard of in medical science - there are a LOT of fields to consider: for a start, people will pass physics or biology, possibly neither. If you ever ace physics in a med science degree, you should actually be doing a Bscience because 2nd year at Usyd is filled with biochem and physiology and etc.

This is an information page
http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/science/05_ug_enrol_advice_bach_medsci.shtml

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
HD average is very difficult to attain. You'd have to be in the top 1-2% of nearly all your units to get a HD average...so yeah you gotta have something special to achieve that...

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
MedSci first year program was a pain! it was like HSC ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! BLOODY MATHS PHYSICS CHEM and BIO....If they made english compulsory I would have gone MAD!!

Second year was heaps good....learnt so much in one year its practically a crash course in Med...everything from anatomy, pharmacology,microbiology, immunology, pathology etc the list goes on!!!

Third year is up to u.....so many choices!!! but GREAT!

and so many opportunities when u finish...med, dentistry, honours, research, teaching etc!!! NEVER regretted doin med sci at USYD at all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)