B Psychology @ UWS compared to B Arts/B Science @ UNSW or Macq. (1 Viewer)

assiduous

HSC
I want to get into a B Arts - Psychology or B Science - Psychology @ Macquarie but my Atar is not enough. So I was thinking, is the B Psychology @ UWS a good course and will it allow me to become a psychologist or will people look down on me because I went to UWS for it? My other option is to take B Arts or B Arts/Science @ Macquarie and then transfer if I can get a credit average. But there is no guarantee I can get into B Arts - Psychology @ Macquarie. So what to do??? :(

Kralex

HSC
Do Psychology at UWS, fuck what BoredOS members say about UWS.

assiduous

HSC
Do Psychology at UWS, fuck what BoredOS members say about UWS.
Is it an okay course? lol, can anyone confirm if I can actually then do the extra 2 years to become a practising psychologist?

HSC
N/A
everyone told me psych at btown UWS is really good compared to other unis. i used to do psych but i didnt like it so i dropped it as my major. within that first semester the head of program said by the end of your psych course you can get into internships if you are a really good student and all these other offers available through the professors.

if psych is really what you wanna do then go UWS.

assiduous

HSC
everyone told me psych at btown UWS is really good compared to other unis. i used to do psych but i didnt like it so i dropped it as my major. within that first semester the head of program said by the end of your psych course you can get into internships if you are a really good student and all these other offers available through the professors.

So it is good? What made you not like it though? What units were you taking in your B Arts? I see you go to the Bankstown Campus? I guess I will see you there lol!
I hope I can get into internships.
alright, I guess I'll move it back up to number 2.

assiduous

HSC

??

HSC
N/A
So it is good? What made you not like it though? What units were you taking in your B Arts? I see you go to the Bankstown Campus? I guess I will see you there lol!
I hope I can get into internships.
alright, I guess I'll move it back up to number 2.
from what i've heard its good. i didnt like it just because i didnt have CLEAR direction of what i had to learn (im a little lazy when it comes to finding out what i have to complete on my own), it didnt really explore things that i was interested in (thus why i have transfered to cultural and social analysis, which is a branch of sociology) and my tutor was a little hard to understand since she was american. but the guy i had before her was good. the head of psych is really good. in her lectures she explains everything. ive talked to 3rd year psych students and post-grad students and they said its been very well structured.

in B arts its just a set course. in the first year you do 2 Arts units, one major unit and an elective (thats only if you are not doing pathways to teaching) per semester. arts units are just units from every school in the uni. for example i did Australia and the World (from history and politics) and Analytical Reading and Writing (from linguistics/english texts and writing) for my first two arts units. arts is just a taste of all the types of fields you can learn. in second year you only do 1 art unit a semester, which leaves you to choose whatever 3 units you desire to do (making sure they include you major units). does that make sense?

assiduous

HSC
from what i've heard its good. i didnt like it just because i didnt have CLEAR direction of what i had to learn (im a little lazy when it comes to finding out what i have to complete on my own), it didnt really explore things that i was interested in (thus why i have transfered to cultural and social analysis, which is a branch of sociology) and my tutor was a little hard to understand since she was american. but the guy i had before her was good. the head of psych is really good. in her lectures she explains everything. ive talked to 3rd year psych students and post-grad students and they said its been very well structured.

in B arts its just a set course. in the first year you do 2 Arts units, one major unit and an elective (thats only if you are not doing pathways to teaching) per semester. arts units are just units from every school in the uni. for example i did Australia and the World (from history and politics) and Analytical Reading and Writing (from linguistics/english texts and writing) for my first two arts units. arts is just a taste of all the types of fields you can learn. in second year you only do 1 art unit a semester, which leaves you to choose whatever 3 units you desire to do (making sure they include you major units). does that make sense?
Oh, were the units boring you? :p I'm glad to hear the head of psychology at UWS Bankstown Campus is 'really good' :p
SWEET. I put it back up to number 2. :D
I hope I can get in, if I don't make my first preference. :) How many people go to the Bankstown Campus, is it big? What is there to do there during your breaks?

Yeah, that makes sense. I was at the UWS info day. lol.
Anyway, mr final preferences are as follows:
1. B Commerce @ MQ
2. B Psychology @ UWS
3. B Arts/ B Science @ UNSW
4. B Arts/Science @ MQ
5. B Arts @ MQ
6. B Arts/ Business and Commerce @ UWS
What do you think of it?

HSC
N/A
theres no doubt you'll get in for uws. its just the other unis you gotta worry about.

ummm a fair amount of people go to bankstown. theres always a fight to get a computer/laptop/lounge in the library.

me and my friends chill during our breaks. we go to the cafeteria, try and score a lounge to sit in, drink coffee, eat hot chips, listen to channel v, laugh at the idiot 3rd year students (some of them are just too weird) and yeah. its basically our time to gossip and laugh. theres a gym if you REALLY wanna work out (its not advised you do) theres pool tables... ummmm yeah. throughout the semester thers usually a highlight to each day. for example on tuesdays they had free fairyfloss and on wednesdays they had free spray tattoos. they have an outdoor chess set. ummmmmmm.... three coffee shops? oh yeah and every two weeks they have this shop thing set up and all you can smell is incense for the whole day.

what else do you wanna know

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
I want to get into a B Arts - Psychology or B Science - Psychology @ Macquarie but my Atar is not enough. So I was thinking, is the B Psychology @ UWS a good course and will it allow me to become a psychologist or will people look down on me because I went to UWS for it? My other option is to take B Arts or B Arts/Science @ Macquarie and then transfer if I can get a credit average. But there is no guarantee I can get into B Arts - Psychology @ Macquarie. So what to do??? :(
Dude its not going to matter which uni you done your degree, if you simply think UWS will benefit your lifestyle, then by all means take it + my brother left UNSW Engineering for UWS B Psych lol simply because he feels that the teaching structure there is much more relaxed and intuitive. Now he's working in a clinic dealing with patients and is getting paid very well.

NewiJapper

HSC
You NEED those 2 years of clinical to become a practising psychologist. It's like a medicine student's intership :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)