• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

B Science (Adv) but haven’t done physics and extension maths (1 Viewer)

Sombreteen

HSC
I just found out this morning that I made it into my top preference (BS Adv) at UNSW. This is mainly because I was lucky enough to get a scholarship which also gives me an additional 3 selection points.
Rather than feeling over the moon about it I just feel kind of awful. I’m really worried that I’m in over my head and I’m going to be at a serious disadvantaged because I haven’t done extension 1 maths or physics, only 2u maths, chem and bio.

For context, I went to a really low ranked public school where physics wasn’t offered and there were only two kids in my 2u class.. everyone else did general maths. And going into year 11 maths was already a huge struggle for me because I hadn’t learnt the basic foundations for doing 2u maths when I started and I almost failed year 11. The good news is that after getting a private tutor over the holidays before year 12 content started and working hard throughout the year I managed to do fairly well in 2u maths to get a band 5. In fact I think I’m quite naturally good at maths but have just missed out on the opportunity to study it at a higher level.

Despite doing fairly well in all of my science subjects I’m seriously worried that I’ll be at a huge disadvantage going into an advanced science degree when all of the other students in it would have done 3u or higher. I feel as if I’m not smart enough to do an advanced degree and I’m worried I’ll have to drop down to just to a BS.
I’ve been told that there are many advantages to doing a BS(adv) such as smaller classes, being able to do advanced subjects, being bookmarked as a high achieving student etc.. so I really do want to do advanced and I also feel quite passionately about science because I think it plays to my strengths. Im just really worried that I’ll do badly in uni and idk what I should do..

I’ve decided that I’ll just chose physics as an elective for the first semester to at least experience it as a subject in case it turns out I really like it. As for maths.. should I do a bridging course?? I haven’t heard anything good about bridging courses and don’t really want to spend the money on it if it doesn’t benefit me in any way. I was hoping that someone who’s done a bridging course could give me their opinion on that. Alternatively I could try to learn the co tent by myslef.. can that be done? And if I do, is the extension 1 work only in year 12 or does 3u do extension work in year 11 as well? How hard would it be to learn it without any assistance?

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies :)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Well if you think you're naturally good at math then you should be fine.

You can always just take the normal math stream instead of the higher level math (I'm assuming you're not after a math major). Depending on your major, it's possible that you won't need any more math after first year (unless you do a physics major, in which case it's recommended that you also have a math major). Imo you'll be fine in the AdvSc degree with only 2u math.

HSC
N/A
Congrats on your offer!

The Adv classes that you will have to participate in will depend on your choice of Major (if structure at UNSW is similar to MQ). If your major isn't Physics or Math, you should be ok, but still do the bridging courses! Even if they are a complete shock to you they will allow you to see what kind of knowledge is assumed. For example if you haven't done math induction or calculus before, this will be a crash course you need to get your head around. But don't be too intimidated, you can do this if your motivated (I'm speaking from experience); there are loads of resources to help, from Khan academy to text books to free tutor sessions your uni may offer.
If you are choosing Math or Physics as a major, then you really really really need to do those courses, and start your study now :) - find out what compulsory first year text book your uni uses for your core subject (for example if it's Physics it might be Young & Freedman's University Physics) and get on it. You can do this, and congratulations again, studying science is a fantastic thing! :)

entartung

HSC
Congrats on your offer!

The Adv classes that you will have to participate in will depend on your choice of Major (if structure at UNSW is similar to MQ). If your major isn't Physics or Math, you should be ok, but still do the bridging courses! Even if they are a complete shock to you they will allow you to see what kind of knowledge is assumed. For example if you haven't done math induction or calculus before, this will be a crash course you need to get your head around. But don't be too intimidated, you can do this if your motivated (I'm speaking from experience); there are loads of resources to help, from Khan academy to text books to free tutor sessions your uni may offer.
If you are choosing Math or Physics as a major, then you really really really need to do those courses, and start your study now :) - find out what compulsory first year text book your uni uses for your core subject (for example if it's Physics it might be Young & Freedman's University Physics) and get on it. You can do this, and congratulations again, studying science is a fantastic thing! :)
Hi! I'm looking to do advanced science and major in psychology, however i only did general maths (received a 91). I'm going to do the 2U bridging course, but regardless, do you think i would struggle? I read that advanced science required you to take the harder subjects, so i'm quite worried. But since to become a registered psychologist you're required to complete a honours year, advanced science seems more advantageous over bachelor of science.

HSC
N/A
If your major is psychology, you'll be fine: whatever core math units your Uni will ask you to do will probably be first year only and be pure Math, life-sciencey Math or Statistical Math; you may still struggle, but thats normal! We all do :)
Congrats to you too, I hope you enjoy your studies. :)

Sombreteen

HSC
Congrats on your offer!

Thank you for replying!

Because of what you’ve said and what I’ve heard from others, I’ve decided to enrol into a maths bridging course and I also plan to get started with the 3u content in my free time this holidays. I think it will be good preparation for uni since I’m getting a bit rusty not studying since exams. :)

I’ve been going through the physics syllabus at home with the help of khan academy and I’ll try and get my hands on a physics text book.

Thanks again for your advice and positivity! :))

MajesticMemes

HSC
If it's any help, I caught up on 3U content mostly using USYD's online bridging course. Consists of a number of video files with student narration covering the important topics of 3U which you'll need in first year math courses as well as a pdf with a number of questions on each topic. It also goes through some 4U stuff such as implicit differentiation which might help if you come across it. For further clarification on harder topics, there's Khan Academy and Eddie Woo's youtube channel.

I did not do the bridging course, but I still did pretty well in MATH1A/1B at UNSW by having a good foundation in 3U with the resources above.

I'm speaking as someone doing engineering, so I'm not too sure what the requirements of your degree/major are, but good luck anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)