B Science/B Laws (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I'm confused...I was thinking of enrolling into the course based on the fact that someone I know at uni is doing it...BUT there's no such course? How on earth is she doing it? I'm really confused...especially since I'd like to do it as I don't really enjoy the business component of my degree.

I looked on the UWS website and they had B Science/B Laws but its been retired or whatever....and it wasn't in the UAC book...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I did some detective work (checked uni offers) and she only got into B science at parra...i'm confused...because shes doing intro to law with us as well as bio and chem...I think she does torts as well...lol...she lied to everyone and said that she got a uai high enough for UNSW medicine (lol i didn't even almost believe her) but i didn't expect to find out that shes not even doing law...i guess theres my answer

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, any one can do Intro to Law, some arts students etc...do it as we especially if they are looking to transfer. You wont be able to do science/law as they don't offer it anymore. If you don't like the business part you could also transfer to arts/soc sci law within UWS or another combined degree such as science law somewhere else.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Thanks...I think I might transfer to B arts/B laws at macquarie next year...I was like 1 point under the cut off for this year so I reckon I have a fair chance. I wouldn't mind doing arts at uws but the campuses are so out of the way i don't think i'll be able to handle it for long

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I suffered that problem. There were some units I really wanted to do which would have meant this semester I would have been going to Parra, Penrith, Bankstown and Hawksbury

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
Why doesn't UWS offer a law degree by itself?
They offer an undergraduate B Law by itself to NRSL...like most unis they offer the combined degree for whatever reason they do:p I prefer a combined degree tho (apart from the excessive length of the degree)

L

LaraB

Optophobia said:
Why doesn't UWS offer a law degree by itself?
It does... but just like the majority of unis, it allows you to enter it on a "non-standard-UAI" basis only..

The vast majority of unis do not have the "standard" UAI entry LLB course on its own, so its not something unique to UWS...

Its better to do a combiend degree anyway... most firms want all rounded people with other skills not a straight LLB student, especially if you went staight from school into uni.

L

LaraB

melsc said:
Yeah, any one can do Intro to Law, some arts students etc...do it as we especially if they are looking to transfer. You wont be able to do science/law as they don't offer it anymore. If you don't like the business part you could also transfer to arts/soc sci law within UWS or another combined degree such as science law somewhere else.
I've encountered students who also claim to be doing a LLB/B Science.

It's not a case of them having some kind of special course as some people think - it's more a matter of them being full of shit and trying to boost their rep/ego.

They are actually B Science students who fill their electives with LLB units so they can transfer into law at a later stage and not have to start the law from scratch. Or they are B Sciecn students doing law electives who don't have the smarts to understand that just coz you do some units it doesn't equate to doing the degree.

Bit like friends i know who go to other unis who do a couple of law subjects in a business degree and all of a sudden claim to be oding an LLB/B Bus...

Same with the whole major/sub major things. A girl i went to school with is doing a B Bus degree at Mac i think its bus admin or soething like that? as the proper name... but she claims to have majors in language/hrm and ir/law just because that's where she's picked her electives from. People don't get that there just doing units doesn't give you the "title"/qualification.
The uni doesn't offer B Science/LLB anymore so anyone who tells you they are doing it who isn't completing a degree they started yonks ago is full of crap and lying to you.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
I've encountered students who also claim to be doing a LLB/B Science.

It's not a case of them having some kind of special course as some people think - it's more a matter of them being full of shit and trying to boost their rep/ego.

They are actually B Science students who fill their electives with LLB units so they can transfer into law at a later stage and not have to start the law from scratch. Or they are B Sciecn students doing law electives who don't have the smarts to understand that just coz you do some units it doesn't equate to doing the degree.

Bit like friends i know who go to other unis who do a couple of law subjects in a business degree and all of a sudden claim to be oding an LLB/B Bus...

Same with the whole major/sub major things. A girl i went to school with is doing a B Bus degree at Mac i think its bus admin or soething like that? as the proper name... but she claims to have majors in language/hrm and ir/law just because that's where she's picked her electives from. People don't get that there just doing units doesn't give you the "title"/qualification.
The uni doesn't offer B Science/LLB anymore so anyone who tells you they are doing it who isn't completing a degree they started yonks ago is full of crap and lying to you.
Yeah thats what I found out...I checked her name on the uni offers and she just got into B Science...the thing that made it much worse was the lies she was saying. She claimed that she got a UAI high enough to get into UNSW medicine. A 96+ uai is quite far from the 60 cut off for B Science.

Other people who bring up that they're law students are business students who do introduction to business law...I hear it all the time and yeah...from what I've heard it has nothing on commercial law (i.e. real law). It sounds similar to my degree too 'I'm doing business and law' compared to 'im doing business law'. Its kinda similar to the person I know who told everyone he's doing B Business (HRetc)/B Laws at Macquarie but I see him everyday at UWS.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
People lie all the time but if they must they should really get their story straight. someone I know heard I was doing Criminology and Law and said thats what she wanted to do, but was going to do it at NSW with a UAI of < 90 (I knew then she was going to be one of those people doing a single degree and some law elective claiming to be a law student ) then I saw her name in the paper with Arts at Sydney which doesnt even have a criminology major.

Everyone should be proud of what they are doing, thats why u end up with ppl in law who hate it and shit the people who actually want to learn. I was always upfront about my course and uni...

WWJD_2005

Banned
HSC
Ok it's time for me to confess... I don't actually do law at uws I really just do a b arts (feminist studies).

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
Where can you check these?
library > electronic resources > newspapers> whatever the 2nd one is

ChantelleG

HSC
N/A
hey - the b science / b laws course is no longer available through UWS, but you can do a b science and then graduate entry law course. it takes about the same amount of time to do.

i have done some detective work of my own

if you want to compare courses in nsw, there is a website that has a database of all courses available http://goingtouni.gov.au

if you want to check out the courses at uws you can check out the course list http://www.uws.edu.au/studyoptions/australian/undergraduate/courselist

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)