BA-Psych...confuso! (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
i got into BA-Psych and im in the process of doing my timetable. im wondering whether anyone can shed some light on this for me...

in total, according to the handbook, im only doing 9 credits in TOTAL for the first year...but i thought, and im still assuming coz i have 32 credits i have to fill up over the duration of the course, that im also supposed to incorporate other Arts courses, seeing it isnt a straight Psych degree, its a BA with a major in Psych. but the handbook doesnt say nething about putting Arts in....

am i supposed to put Arts into my timetable so i can qualify to b a full time student? (its 17 credits +)

anyone understand what im trying to say?:(

ta!

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lol i got into that course too :)

but i have no idea what ur talking about?? are we spose to worry about dat already??!?!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
i dunno.. i am! lol

coz if u try & do ur timetable, ur at uni like 6 hours a week which cant be right, so thats why im confused! (i just wana b able to pick some Arts to 'jazz' up my uni experience!) :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
What you have are your Core units (the ones you have to do) which you can see in your degree program, and Elective units (the ones you can choice) which you don't see in your degree program. Grab a uni handbook or check the website for other units you might want to do.

Btw, feel free to ask any questions you might have.

M

mushi

man..these things about timetables..i have no idea what u guys are tlakin about :p

we will know 5how to organise this stuff, when we start uni yeh?/

muli

Trust me, it'll all make sence once you have the undergraduate handbook. It's a big chunky book that lists the details of every single degree, and every single subject that is avaliable to be slotted into your timetable.

They were selling them at advisory day for $10, although I don't think many people bought them, I only got one cause I've got a friend who insisted.

See you guys soon!

mememe

My friend's doing this course and i'm 90% sure that in the first year, you do THREE psychology units (core units, you don't get a choice) and then you have FIVE free units to use on Arts subjects.

You have one psychology unit in first semester and one in second semester, then the third unit which is statistics (urgh!) is taught all year round, so you can choose whether to do it first or second semester.

This all only applies for first year.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
ok, so if i want to choose law from Arts, when i look them up on the timetable, it only has 2 law courses for first year (LAW103 &LAW113) but how do i decipher whether they are Arts or whether they are for the real law students to take? or doesnt it matter?

also, how many credits do each Art course have? is it a standard 3 in first year?

and can i take an Arts in both semesters?

i havent had to think for so long, ive forgotten how! lol

thanks everyone for al ur help btw, greatly appreciated :D

Last edited:

mememe

In the handbook, when you look up the red section it will tell you what you need to do law units - if it says "only for students in the B laws" then you can't. Otherwise you're allowed.

I think most arts units/subjects are 3 credit points, again it says it in the handbook :)

You have to take arts in both semesters. Here is what your timetable could look like in first year as far as i know...

SEMESTER 1:
...Intro to Psychology 1
...Art subject
...Art subject
...Art subject

SEMESTER 2:
...Intro to Psychology 2
...Art subject
...Art subject
...Statistics

The art subjects are of your choice. Hope this helps!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
i feel like a dumbass... lol

so if it says besides LAW113: "for LLB students, none; for other full-time students, 18cp in non-law units and admission to quota" means that i can do this one?or not?

mememe

Well, cos you're a non-law student, to be allowed to study this subject you have to have two things:

1) 18 credit points in non-law subjects, so you have to have done 18 credit points worth of other subjects (e.g. your psychology and other arts subjects) before you're allowed to do law, which means you probably can't do it til second year.

2) Admission to quota... no idea what that is, maybe its just generally being able to get a place in the course and it's not too full or you have permission? Someone else may know.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
bugger! oh well thanks mememe u've been a great help! i think ive got my timetable figured out, but now i have too many arts i wanna take!

HSC
so does dat mean if u doing a BA u cant do the intro psych subjects I and II???

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
yup but i think if u fulfil the rest of ur credits this year, u can do them next year

HSC
Preqrequisites: Either: admission to BPsych(Hons) or BBA or BA-Psychology/BSc-Psychology; Or: an equivalent admission rank (or aggregate); Or: for all continuing students at least 12 cp and overall GPA of 2.50 or better; Or: PSY105(P)

so does that mean if my equivalent admission my uai was higher than the arts-psych degree i can take on psych 104??

mememe

I think so, at least i'm counting on doing the same thing and a chick at the information day in january said that was correct. I think the only problem with taking psych 104 is that the actual arts-psych people will get preference over you if the course is too full.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by zaijan_85
so does dat mean if u doing a BA u cant do the intro psych subjects I and II???
no, you can. it's an alternate entry into psych so you have to be able to

yeah what mememe said is right - if the course is full, the others get preference over you. otherwise you will be able to do it

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I have no idea what psych cut-offs were this year but say you just scraped into a normal BA...then your admission rank would be lower...you CAN'T do psych subjects. But the BA and BA-Psych cutoffs were probably close so it wouldn't matter to most people.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
if u get into psych 104, u also have to do psych105 and stat 170 or 171 ...so make sure u have enough room left on ur timetable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)