Bachelor of Cultural Heritage Conservation (954AA) and other things (1 Viewer)

vce_kiddo

HSC
Hi!:love:

So I want to be a conservationist and the only undergrad course near me is at UC (Bachelor of Cultural Heritage Conservation (954AA)) (and im in Vic)..... are you doing the course? is anyone you know doing it? do you do work placement in the industry, what's the pay like, is it hard to find a job?
:p many questions......
:dog:

thanks for answering:apig:

Zaza101

HSC
Hi,
I cant really help that much becouse i dont know/met anyone whos doing the course :(
From what i can see in the Course Structure you do get two placements in the industry in your third year.

Sorry i cant be of more help

vce_kiddo

HSC
thanks Zaza101:apig: =)
and is the entry to the whole uni the same ATAR score (75 or 65 or something) cause thats what it sounded like on the website and i was like :karate:wa?"

:love:

Resident

HSC
My mother is a consultant for the course and the current head of conservation at the NGA so I might be able to shed some light.

You do get to do some work placement.

Pay varies dramatically depending upon level and institution.

Jobs abound for skilled conservators, most unis scraped their conservation courses during the forensics fad and so there is a shortage.

Worth mentioning that being a conservator is more about science then art, you need a good grasp of materials science and in some areas good manual dexterity.

Hope that helps.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Well i dont do the conservation course, but i am doing the basic Cultural Heritage Degree at UC, as this and the conservation degree is quite small, both degrees: everyone knows everyone. Both degrees are very similar, conservation does chemistry and other conservation units. at the moment they haveing real hands-on experience with conserving items that have been found on a dig near the defence academy and they seem to be really enjoying it.
Recently the department has banded together with museums in canberra to offer work experience for 'heritage research unit' so you can either write a fucking long essay or have fun doing the work experience!!

my degree also has 'Heritage Field School' unit which ill be doing during the winter term. this is going to give us hands-on experience at a site for a week.. tis going to be fun.

Job wise, there is a shortage, hence one of the reasons why UC has brought back the course. i have seen jobs advertised (for jobs dealing with culutral heritage management, which i am doing) from 60k up to 100k

If you look up on the UC's magazine 'Monitor' there is a huge article on the these degrees, a fun read too.. i think this magazine is available on-line
:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)