Bachelor of health science subjects? (1 Viewer)

ambidextrous

HSC
Hey guys,

I received an offer for the Bachelor of health science at usyd and I was wondering how to choose and where to find the list of subjects/units I would have to take?

Thank you!!

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
It'd be in the handbook. There should be a study plan example you can follow and info on what is required for your award and for units/majors. :D

For B Health Science there are core units and/or elective units you can choose. But I don't know what the course structure is like so its best to refer to the handbook you will or have receive(d). You will be enrolling into the core units and/or elective units for first year on enrolment day (whatever day it is for you and your course). Depending on the major make sure you fulfill the requirements and meet intermediate and senior unit prerequisites. Some units are offered only to Health Science students, and some only to Science and Medical Science students eg. Anatomy and Histology majors and Physiology majors etc.

There will be help available on enrolment day. :)

http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/health_sci/undergraduate/b_health_sciences_unit_of_study_table.shtml - This is just core units and for faculty electives they are here: http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/health_sci/undergraduate/faculty_electives.shtml There are also other electives outside the faculty that you can choose.

Last edited:

ambidextrous

HSC
It'd be in the handbook. There should be a study plan example you can follow and info on what is required for your award and for units/majors. :D

For B Health Science there are core units and/or elective units you can choose. But I don't know what the course structure is like so its best to refer to the handbook you will or have receive(d). You will be enrolling into the core units and/or elective units for first year on enrolment day (whatever day it is for you and your course). Depending on the major make sure you fulfill the requirements and meet intermediate and senior unit prerequisites. Some units are offered only to Health Science students, and some only to Science and Medical Science students eg. Anatomy and Histology majors and Physiology majors etc.

There will be help available on enrolment day. :)

http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/health_sci/undergraduate/b_health_sciences_unit_of_study_table.shtml - This is just core units and for faculty electives they are here: http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/health_sci/undergraduate/faculty_electives.shtml There are also other electives outside the faculty that you can choose.

Okay, thank you so much.

Also, will the intermediate and senior unit prerequisites be part of the core units I choose from?
Sorry, i'm clueless. :/

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Okay, thank you so much.

Also, will the intermediate and senior unit prerequisites be part of the core units I choose from?
Sorry, i'm clueless. :/
I don't know for B Health Sci... but I would presume first year and second year core units will flow with one another. Best to check with the advisers on the day.

madharris

HSC
N/A
With health science, I'm not sure what major you want to do, but most people choose either the speech major or the movement major since most people want to transfer

The speech major is self explanatory and is for people who want to xfer or some something related to speech
Whereas the movement major is for people who want to transfer or do something related to physio, exercise sport science, EP, OT, etc

Hearing Major timetable
Movement Major Timetable
General timetable (for people who want to do majors such as psychology, health promotion and whatever else there is :))

Hope that helped

ambidextrous

HSC
With health science, I'm not sure what major you want to do, but most people choose either the speech major or the movement major since most people want to transfer

The speech major is self explanatory and is for people who want to xfer or some something related to speech
Whereas the movement major is for people who want to transfer or do something related to physio, exercise sport science, EP, OT, etc

Hearing Major timetable
Movement Major Timetable
General timetable (for people who want to do majors such as psychology, health promotion and whatever else there is :))

Hope that helped
Yep, the speech major. :)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Makes more sense now. :)

ambidextrous

HSC
Sorry, one last question.

If I was to transfer fro the Bachelor of Health sciences to the Bachelor of Applied science(Speech Pathology) after my first year, would I have to start the Speech Path course from year 1 or will I be able to jump straight into year 2?

Chubbeh

HSC

If I was to transfer fro the Bachelor of Health sciences to the Bachelor of Applied science(Speech Pathology) after my first year, would I have to start the Speech Path course from year 1 or will I be able to jump straight into year 2?
It depends on the units you choose/complete in the first year. If you complete the same units as someone would if they were doing B App Sc (Speech Pathology) in first year, and you successfully transferred, you would just join in on 2nd year and start from there.

madharris

HSC
N/A

From my understanding, you'll have to start from first year. However in saying that I recommend that you email the head of speech pathology
http://sydney.edu.au/health-sciences/disciplines/speech-pathology/staff.shtml and ask him to help you out.
Say that you're starting at BHS at usyd this year majoring in the speech and hearing major, and that you'd like to transfer into speech pathology next year. Say to him that you were wondering if he could help you out with that or refer you to someone who could.

Main things that he/someone else could help you out with:
- Doing appropriate electives that you can get credit for, meaning you wouldn't have to do them again (This means that your speech degree could potentially be only 3 years, or will be less hectic than others)
- He can also answer any other questions that you may have
- He can also give you other advice in terms of transferring

I recommend setting up an appointment with him (or whoever he refers you to) in the holidays as you'll probably need to go into cumbo
Good luck! :)

Airstrike

HSC
I currently do health science - going in to 2nd year
Yes you have to start all over again if you're transferring !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)