Bahelor of Health Science as an alternative pathway into Med/Dent. (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,
Recently I spoke to a family friend who studied B. Health Science in New Zealand and transferred into Medicine at Notre Dame. He told me to consider B. Health Science as my pre-med course and told me to keep away from b. Medical Science/Science Adv due to the competitive nature of the course. So what are ppl's thoughts on B. Health Science at Usyd? Is it a waste of my atar (91 with bonus) as it only requires 80.60. I heard that the course is extremely easy, hence maintaing a good gpa should be relatively easy as opposed to medical science/ facing the maths -.-
I like the degree as maths is not a major unit and its optional, hence I can get a higher gpa as opposed to doing maths 1st year in med science/other degrees.
Do you think I should consider this course as my path for future med/dent?
Also, What are the job prospects like for ppl graduating from a Health Science degree?

Last edited:

jarrodoliver1

HSC
I'm not 100% sure on anything medical related so don't take my word for this. If you aren't doing the math required for med, wouldn't you then struggle in the medicine course after youur B health science?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Um.. yes and no! My aim is to try and maximise my gpa, hence if I study a course that has maths and get a pass average in that unit, then it might halt my tranfer into med. The thing abt medicine is that once you get in, all you have to do is Pass and it won't matter if you dnt get any Hd's or D's. Also your passion and drive to do well in the med course also kicks in. m nt saying that I can't do maths, but i think I'll be increasing my chances if I don't study it upfront in my pre-med degree!

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
And for your information, med school's dnt care wht degrees you come from. You could do a B. arts and still get in or even courses out of the health field. M planning on choosing health science as some units in the 1st sem are similar/same as units in medicine. This means that I won't have to study them again if I get into med!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Don't forget you need a solid understanding of Maths for the GAMSAT. There is no point achieving a high GPA with low GAMSAT scores.

Are you interested in Health Science? I would suggest look into the B Health Science course structure/subject list and see whether those topics appeal to you. Is there Maths subjects you need to do? If you do decide to go for this option and there is no maths/chem/physics in the degree, you will need to prepare on your own.

fatboi

HSC
N/A
w0t

no you don't

as long as you aren't a totally shite at maths to the point of not being able to do basic physical chem and physics questions, then you'll be fine

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
w0t

no you don't

as long as you aren't a totally shite at maths to the point of not being able to do basic physical chem and physics questions, then you'll be fine
Hm... Is this regarding health science or the maths in gamsat?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't forget you need a solid understanding of Maths for the GAMSAT. There is no point achieving a high GPA with low GAMSAT scores.

Are you interested in Health Science? I would suggest look into the B Health Science course structure/subject list and see whether those topics appeal to you. Is there Maths subjects you need to do? If you do decide to go for this option and there is no maths/chem/physics in the degree, you will need to prepare on your own.
Hey,
I'm interested in health science! I would like to do the "anatomy and physiology" major for 2nd year. As far as maths is concerned, I do not need to do any for the degree. But my only concern is that if all fails, m just stuck with a health science degree, hence no professional jobs apart from working in hospitals, clinics etc..
I was also considering Medical Science/I.T, however mathematics is assumed and ext 1 is recommended. For HSC maths, with no study what so ever, I managed to get in the 60's. I didn't bother studying for it as I found it extremely boring and pointless for the "real world" and had 12 units for HSC -.- But I have a strong background in chemistry, biology and computing subjects. Managed to get >82 for all (high 80's respectively). I can see that you completed a phd in medical science, so what are your thoughts on the maths side of the degree? Do you think I could cope with a bit of study and dedication? Is it really hard as it looks? Also what are my other options, can I choose to do an easier maths unit, i.e foundation of maths? Or any other courses that I should consider?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hey,
I can see that you completed a phd in medical science, so what are your thoughts on the maths side of the degree? Do you think I could cope with a bit of study and dedication? Is it really hard as it looks? Also what are my other options, can I choose to do an easier maths unit, i.e foundation of maths? Or any other courses that I should consider?
First year Maths is definitely do-able for someone who is not that strong in maths. I don't think I'm great in Maths so I was dreading it but I did pretty well at the end. Just pick the easiest option if you have a choice and you will be fine. THe one that I did had HSC 2U Maths as a pre-req.

Dylanamali

HSC
If you want Med/Dent,
I wouldn't recommend health science..
I'd recommend doing either Adv Sci / Med Sci (Adv) @ UWS
OR
Med Sci @ UNSW.
Both of these courses have lateral entry pathways designed for their students.. so your increasing your chances at gaining entry into their undergraduate programs.

In the end, if your really, really only wanted Med/Dent.. UWS would be the best place to go to.
1 - their lateral entry program is easy the best in terms of the advantages Adv Sci students have in terms of gaining entry into the UWS Med program.
2 - it's quite easy to achieve a high GPA -> easy course, no bell curve grading (therefore virtually no competition)

Therefore, you maximise your chances at gaining entry into both undergrad and postgrad schools.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
First year Maths is definitely do-able for someone who is not that strong in maths. I don't think I'm great in Maths so I was dreading it but I did pretty well at the end. Just pick the easiest option if you have a choice and you will be fine. THe one that I did had HSC 2U Maths as a pre-req.
Ohk.. Thanks M8 :)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want Med/Dent,
I wouldn't recommend health science..
I'd recommend doing either Adv Sci / Med Sci (Adv) @ UWS
OR
Med Sci @ UNSW.
Both of these courses have lateral entry pathways designed for their students.. so your increasing your chances at gaining entry into their undergraduate programs.

In the end, if your really, really only wanted Med/Dent.. UWS would be the best place to go to.
1 - their lateral entry program is easy the best in terms of the advantages Adv Sci students have in terms of gaining entry into the UWS Med program.
2 - it's quite easy to achieve a high GPA -> easy course, no bell curve grading (therefore virtually no competition)

Therefore, you maximise your chances at gaining entry into both undergrad and postgrad schools.
Firstly congrats for getting into med :)
Whats funny is that I changed everything during the last dying second and I surprisingly introduced Science Adv/ Med Sci Adv (UWS) into my course preferences ( 2nd and 3rd preferences).
My 1st preference is Medical Science/I.T at Usyd- atar needed is like 95+ so I might nt get in. Its most probable that I will end up with either Med Sci/Sci Adv at UWS.
tbh I want med/dent really really badly, so I hope choosing these options at uws pays off at the end (if I get in though).
But m nt sure abt the maths component of the sci adv course, the ppl at info day told me that the course is genuinely designed for ext 1 students -.- and that I might struggle with the maths :(
But some ppl that I've spoke to are saying that maths is optional and I could do a 'non-mathematical' major. I kind of dnt know who to believe!!
Thanks again :)

Dylanamali

HSC
Firstly congrats for getting into med :)
Whats funny is that I changed everything during the last dying second and I surprisingly introduced Science Adv/ Med Sci Adv (UWS) into my course preferences ( 2nd and 3rd preferences).
My 1st preference is Medical Science/I.T at Usyd- atar needed is like 95+ so I might nt get in. Its most probable that I will end up with either Med Sci/Sci Adv at UWS.
tbh I want med/dent really really badly, so I hope choosing these options at uws pays off at the end (if I get in though).
But m nt sure abt the maths component of the sci adv course, the ppl at info day told me that the course is genuinely designed for ext 1 students -.- and that I might struggle with the maths :(
But some ppl that I've spoke to are saying that maths is optional and I could do a 'non-mathematical' major. I kind of dnt know who to believe!!
Thanks again :)
Thanks! :)
aha nice! honestly.. for all med hopefuls, I truly believe UWS is the best option.
If I had been more 'proud' and chosen UNSW Med Sci or anything other than UWS, I wouldn't have a MBBS place right now.

Here's the thing regarding Maths:
If your doing Med Sci (Adv), Maths1A is compulsory and is done in 2nd sem.
If your doing Adv Sci, Maths1A is optional.
But regardless of that, honestly.. the Maths really isn't overwhelmingly hard.
It's set up so there's about 4 or so fortnight quizzes each worth 10-15% and then the final worth 50%.
However, before each quiz, a "sample" test/final exam is given and this is virtually identical to the "real" test, bar a change of values and such (same methodology).

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks! :)
aha nice! honestly.. for all med hopefuls, I truly believe UWS is the best option.
If I had been more 'proud' and chosen UNSW Med Sci or anything other than UWS, I wouldn't have a MBBS place right now.

Here's the thing regarding Maths:
If your doing Med Sci (Adv), Maths1A is compulsory and is done in 2nd sem.
If your doing Adv Sci, Maths1A is optional.
But regardless of that, honestly.. the Maths really isn't overwhelmingly hard.
It's set up so there's about 4 or so fortnight quizzes each worth 10-15% and then the final worth 50%.
However, before each quiz, a "sample" test/final exam is given and this is virtually identical to the "real" test, bar a change of values and such (same methodology).
Thanks very much :)
I hope I get into adv science at uws, I was dumb enough to reject their early offer though -.-
There are currently no vacancies, but lets hope that some ppl withdraw and open up places for ppl like me!
Thanks once again!

sinsolja

HSC
Depending on your ATAR, you could explore other options.
For example me and a few friends had decent ATARS however to make them more competitve we entered TAFE and repeated just one or two HSC subjects focusing on studying for the UMAT, and being more competitive.
Because you only do a few HSC subjects your ATAR should improve and you should have a decent amount of Work experience.
All of us either got Med/Dent mostly because the universities ( especially those who have a written application) saw the sincere passion for the course.

Just keep your mind open, we chose this pathway as it was much easier then trying to get a High GPA, while others done science at JCU for example ( very easy course) and transferred into medicine,We went through that because it gave us an extra option, we deferred our courses and if we got in this year great, if we didn't we have another shot in the first year of our degrees, and the fact that most universities accept more school-leavers rather then non-standard makes it a very good idea.

Just keep your mind open, not about if you get in, its about when :)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm, so you literally did some of your HSC subjects again at tafe just to maximise your atar?
btw congrats on getting into Dental Science at JCU :D
idk whether I should consider this option, its risky.
I heard that if you do your hsc again, you cannot get 95+ as an atar as BOS know that you have an extra edge over the others due to seeing the content twice!
btw wht was your original atar and by how much did you improve it at tafe?

sinsolja

HSC
hmm, so you literally did some of your HSC subjects again at tafe just to maximise your atar?
btw congrats on getting into Dental Science at JCU :D
idk whether I should consider this option, its risky.
I heard that if you do your hsc again, you cannot get 95+ as an atar as BOS know that you have an extra edge over the others due to seeing the content twice!
btw wht was your original atar and by how much did you improve it at tafe?
This isn't true, you simply get the latest mark you receive.
My atar was around 96 it went up to around 98, but i only repeated two subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)