Band 3/4/5/6 cut offs (1 Viewer)

Demise

HSC
For a friend of mine, he thinks he got 50-55 in the exam and wants to know how that'll be when scaled/aligned - he's curious.

Caboufram

HSC
N/A
Id say the band 6 cut off may be somewhere closer to 85-86ish this year. Relatively easy core, pretty sure last year it was 82.

RishBonjour

HSC
Id say the band 6 cut off may be somewhere closer to 85-86ish this year. Relatively easy core, pretty sure last year it was 82.
yep. it will be higher. are you sure last year was 82? I think last year was 79 (some guy uploaded on BOS)
This year might be around 83/4

HKspec009

HSC
Low 80's since it was easy but a lot of people stuffed up on the Q's that had high marks. I was so lucky i looked at burnet the previous night. I went to town with his clonal selection theory.
Ended up writing about 6 pages for that questions

RishBonjour

HSC
Low 80's since it was easy but a lot of people stuffed up on the Q's that had high marks. I was so lucky i looked at burnet the previous night. I went to town with his clonal selection theory.
wtf? you can use extra booklets for those questions? I DIDNT KNOOOOOOOOOOOW. i wrote on the side of my page..

eXanimo

HSC
I think you may have shot yourself in the foot a bit. The key to biology is not knowledge-dumping, but the precise communication of relevant information. 6 pages is going to leave a bad impression on the marker, and gives you 6 times the chances of making what is called a "contradiction". In biology marking, if you make a statement which does not fit previous statements (even once) you cannot gain a mark for the point you had made, even if you only contradicted yourself slightly one time.

You would have been far better off doing, say, 2 pages - which gives the marker a good impression of your ability and knowledge, but doesn't carry the risk of contradiction and looking like you're just brain-dumping. It's a legitimate possibility that you could lose a mark or two.

HKspec009

HSC
Yeh i know, my teacher has warned me of the contradiction thing but luckily i never have done it. The reason it took up 6 pages was not because of the information but trying to answer the question in the best possible way. Explaining how (Cause& Effect) the increased understanding, how its nature also lead to prevention. I'm pretty sure i didn't contradict myself since its not the first time my response has well exceeded the amount of pages most people have done. In a way its more safer for me so i cover every possible angle the marker might try to take a mark off from me.
P.s: if it wasn't an explain, it would not have taken that many pages, but i see where you are coming from.
As the saying goes, this wasn't my first time round

Dedication_

HSC
Yeh i know, my teacher has warned me of the contradiction thing but luckily i never have done it. The reason it took up 6 pages was not because of the information but trying to answer the question in the best possible way. Explaining how (Cause& Effect) the increased understanding, how its nature also lead to prevention. I'm pretty sure i didn't contradict myself since its not the first time my response has well exceeded the amount of pages most people have done. In a way its more safer for me so i cover every possible angle the marker might try to take a mark off from me.
P.s: if it wasn't an explain, it would not have taken that many pages, but i see where you are coming from.
There's more to life than marks on a page :)

eXanimo

HSC
Markers go about marking through a specific mechanism - Positive marking. They do not take marks off, they give marks. The idea is that a band-6 student should be able to synthesise enough information to fit onto the space they give you. Going over by 6 pages will just put them in a bad mood. Putting down 2-3 points per scientist and connecting them would have been more then enough for 8 marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)