Band 6 - Advanced English (1 Viewer)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Hi!

I was just wondering - all those 04's who got a band 6 or close to it in the HSC - what were your raw marks like in school exams/the trials? Do you think that these would have changed remarkably for your HSC?

That is, did your essay format/structure/content completely change or did you use about the same material so you had a fair idea of the kind of marks you were expecting?

Any 05's with any knowledge - from school/teachers/mark predicts?

Thanks!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ummm, couldnt tell u exactly what my school marks were (or actual HSC marks i only remember bands...) but they were fairly high. it would have been 99% for school but my teacher and i had a small *cough* argument about a speech (which she so marked unfairly!! *resentful rant*) which took me down to bout 95-97% i think. for school component. no, i didnt make any changes to my style of writing for the HSC exam, i didnt see the need or point -- the tasks set by your school through tyhe year should have been in the same style as the HSC anyway

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
My school submitted a scaled down mark of 89 for me.. (boys school)
Got 93 for my HSC mark

Nope, didn't change style... used the same material.

You're better off improving on the one you had than start over (so long as it is decent), since you probably won't have time to edit it to "perfection" in time for the HSC.

As silvermoon has pointed out, your school assessments would have been marked in HSC style anyway.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Eagles said:
My school submitted a scaled down mark of 89 for me.. (boys school)
Got 93 for my HSC mark

Nope, didn't change style... used the same material.

You're better off improving on the one you had than start over (so long as it is decent), since you probably won't have time to edit it to "perfection" in time for the HSC.

As silvermoon has pointed out, your school assessments would have been marked in HSC style anyway.
I know that school teachers are supposed to mark in the HSC style - but I keep thinking that my teacher gives me extra marks or "special attention" that I don't deserve. Not because I'm doing exceptionally well, but because of differences in marks when the same answer was marked by two teachers. Of course the difference wasnt great - one/two marks, but still...

Also, Eagles - was 93 the mark you got overall? And how did you know that your scaled score from school was 89?

HSC
N/A
I used pretty much the same content (wasn't confident enough in my ability to use something new for the HSC). The only thing that would have changed between this time last year and my HSC last year was my essay style - from lots of practice, it became more fluid.

I got some pretty scary marks last year - I even got a 6/15! haha. That being said, my final (internal) marks ended up being scaled up about 15 marks - roughly the same place where my HSC (external) marks were. Not bad, not bad.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
ishq said:
I know that school teachers are supposed to mark in the HSC style - but I keep thinking that my teacher gives me extra marks or "special attention" that I don't deserve. Not because I'm doing exceptionally well, but because of differences in marks when the same answer was marked by two teachers. Of course the difference wasnt great - one/two marks, but still...

Also, Eagles - was 93 the mark you got overall? And how did you know that your scaled score from school was 89?
Ishq, im pretty sure he meant his assesment mark was 89 and his HSC mark was 93.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
I was 8/115..

my school assessments, I calculated with their stated weightings was 91.

93 was my overall mark, you know when the real BOS send you the letter asking if you wanna remark ;)

HSC
N/A
i am really confused. for some reason our school marks especially hard. its not to motivate us to do better or anything (beacuse its seriously not working) but its to do with scaling.

I heard from last years students that the average raw marks sent in are like 40 something, but it gets lifted up to a decent band 5.

i am so confused

tempco

HSC
depends on how your school does in the actual hsc exam. obviously, the hsc exam average won't be 40, so your assessment marks will be pulled up to around your hsc exam average. or something like that.

ishq

brown?
HSC
sikeveo said:
So you're marks were 89 96 -->93 overall?
That's exactly what I was thinking! How did Eagles come to know about the 89? I thought that the assessment marks which go to BoS are confidential?

Eagles,
If you were 8/115 (115 Advanced students! We have around 30) you must have been excellent. Do you know (remember :) ) what you got in your trials? I know I'm acting a "tad" paranoid ...

silvermoon,
thanks so much for the motivation! Your marks are absolutely awesome too! What did you get in Advanced in the HSC? Thanks again! :D

tempco = nekkid? :p

tempco

HSC
zOMG psychic? :p

um derek, 89 = assessment mark? if so, BOS gives you 3 marks per subject - assessment, exam and hsc mark. i'm guessing the 91 he stated was the raw assessment mark handed in by his teachers to the BOS.

wow, you must've hammered the eng adv hsc exam.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
tempco said:
um derek, 89 = assessment mark? if so, BOS gives you 3 marks per subject - assessment, exam and hsc mark.
Yup. You remember the letter I'm talking about.

ishq: My trials were ok.. around 87% (got owned by da silly king lear question) I *think*. My overall got pulled up cus I had a few 20/20 assessments. We had 115 doin advanced cus our school didn't offer standard. :cool:

You can calculate your school assessment marks.. well, at my school, they put out weightings.. i.e. 15% for 1 assessment, 20% half yearly, etc and from my marks, I calculated that I should have 91.

My school just submitted it lower as 'school assessment: 89', in case we don't get the same marks at the HSC exam. 'Cus usually boys dont do as well.. and if they did submit 91, and we DID flunk out on the exam, the school will be seen as one of those which just marks easy' - check the scaling effect in selective schools.

Which is why my careers advisor said at the end: 'you would have done better if you went to hornsby' :rolleyes:

Btw, nekkid, how'd you change names?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
ishq said:
That's exactly what I was thinking! How did Eagles come to know about the 89? I thought that the assessment marks which go to BoS are confidential?

Eagles,
If you were 8/115 (115 Advanced students! We have around 30) you must have been excellent. Do you know (remember :) ) what you got in your trials? I know I'm acting a "tad" paranoid ...

silvermoon,
thanks so much for the motivation! Your marks are absolutely awesome too! What did you get in Advanced in the HSC? Thanks again! :D

tempco = nekkid? :p
thanx doll, you've just made my day :D i live for compliments
- i got...uh, something around 94-5ish for adv eng i think, can't really remember to be honest, only paid attention to the bands. I ended up with a ranking 4/164 - which was so stupid coz i was coming first but then there was this one stupid assessment...gah! pissed me right off. meh. doesn't matter now.
- the marks that go to BOS are confidential in the sense of they're not published. However a) you can work out how you went from your own assessment
b) it's actually your responsibility to ask your teacher to see them and check that the
marks being sent away are correct
c) when you get your results from the HSC it shows you school mark, exam mark and final scaled mark

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
Eagles said:
My school just submitted it lower as 'school assessment: 89', in case we don't get the same marks at the HSC exam. 'Cus usually boys dont do as well.. and if they did submit 91, and we DID flunk out on the exam, the school will be seen as one of those which just marks easy' - check the scaling effect in selective schools.
uhuh. i hear you. selective school scaling is a complete bitch. never mind. it's over.

ishq

brown?
HSC
silvermoon said:
uhuh. i hear you. selective school scaling is a complete bitch. never mind. it's over.
Lol! Finally I've found a good thing about leaving selective behind! :D:D

Thanks for clearing that up guys! I'm going to calculate my assessment mark...:D...my teacher told me that they wern't going to play with it...so i should be right with that.

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)