Band 6 Chem??? (1 Viewer)

viennamotley

HSC
HOW.
I just make notes from textbooks in my chem class, and my teacher doesn't really prep us for HSC questions or assessments, so I don't know what to do.
Any tips on how to actually do well?
(Also, I was thinking of getting one of those Excel books, are they worth it?)

Thanks.

thush@decode

HSC
N/A
HOW.
I just make notes from textbooks in my chem class, and my teacher doesn't really prep us for HSC questions or assessments, so I don't know what to do.
Any tips on how to actually do well?
(Also, I was thinking of getting one of those Excel books, are they worth it?)

Thanks.
Hey viennamotley -

Study guides would be your friend here - these contain exam-style questions where you can basically learn to apply the knowledge you have learnt in class and from the textbook.

For a conceptual subject like Chemistry, exposing yourself to lots of problems is your best bet, even more so than writing reams of notes.

There are a number of study guides out there, including Excel, Checkpoints and ATAR Notes, as well as (forgive me for tooting my own horn here!) Decode, which I actually personally wrote! Details are in my signature, and I have attached a sample below. Admittedly, I don't know too much about Excel, but I'm sure other BoSers would be able to provide some reviews on what the Excel books are like.

(Again tooting my own horn) - but you seem like you're looking for a resource that will help you learn to develop the skills to tackle exam-style questions and move beyond mere recall of information from the textbook - the Decode Chemistry book (in combination with something like Checkpoints) would actually suit your needs very well because of its highly detailed solutions teaching you how to approach the problem and providing valuable revision of subject content!

Failing the above, a private tutor may be highly valuable in helping with exam-focused learning.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)