BE/BSc (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

I wanted to know more about this - it's currently my first preference but during the mini-lectures, I was told that the BE is a generic degree - what exactly happens to the BE when you're doing BSc?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Uhm I'm not sure about usyd but at unsw you just choose the units for your stream of engineering

engineering

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I wanted to know more about this - it's currently my first preference but during the mini-lectures, I was told that the BE is a generic degree - what exactly happens to the BE when you're doing BSc?
On enrolment day, you need to tell the uni which stream of engineering (eg Civil, Mechanical etc) you are taking with your combined degree. note you must get both the required ATAR for the general BE/BSc and the ATAR for the relevant stream of engineering (eg if you want to do BE(Aeronautical (Space))/BSc you need the 99+ ATAR for the BE side.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

you go in on enrolment day and pick a stream there. (well, you should've already picked one but I didn't.)

You can pick from most of the streams.
(That is assuming you have the correct ATAR for the main round offers (you can check this on the UAC website) without the use of bonus points)

Source: http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/

(these ones)

And then you go to the line for that stream.
Get the advisor to sign your forms.
Then go to the computer room and get them to put in all your units and your stream.
Then I think you need to go to another computer room to register your MyUni account or something.
Then you need to go get you picture taken for your ID card and then sign a form for your travel concession.
I'm pretty sure you can change units and engg stream up until the first census date.

Yay!

Source: I do BE/BMedSc and this is what happened with me. Ask me anymore Q's if you need more halp. :spin:

EDIT: More on the entry into stream: If you got an ATAR of 97.05 in 2011 then in 2012 you could've done all the listed engineering streams except:
Mechatronic (Space) - 99.80
Aeronautical (Space) - 99.35
Mechanical (Space) - 98.95
Electrical (Bioelectronics) - 97.40

Whereas, if you got 90.15 and just scraped into BE/BSc you could do all listed except:
Mechatronic (Space) - 99.80
Aeronautical (Space) - 99.35
Mechanical (Space) - 98.95
Electrical (Bioelectronics) - 97.40
Biomedical/Mechanical (Biomedical) - 93.10
Software - 91.80
Mechatronic - 90.70
Aeronautical - 90.35

So, getting in you're not really restricted that much, getting over 95 you're pretty sweet, and getting 99 you can probs do Mechanical (Space) and then swap into the other two really easily if you want.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Alright, it sounds simple enough!

Cheers guys (especially Riproot for the extremely detailed response).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)