Beginners French at Open HS - everything you need to know (1 Viewer)

mads21

HSC
Beginners French at Open HS - everything you need to know?

My name is Madison and one of my subjects I choose for yr 11 is Open High School Beginners french. I did french for all of year 8, but couldn't get a class in 9/10 and was wondering what open high school is all about, what do you do, what type of assessments do you have to do etc. Also would it be easy to pick up as I have some experience or is it still difficult? and what do you think about OHS.

Last edited:

esu_chan

HSC
Re: Beginners French at Open HS - everything you need to know?

Salut Madison, I'm currently doing Year 11 Continuers French.

I did Years 9 and 10 French, but in Year 9 I was of a much higher level than the rest of the kids in my class and in Year 10 I shared with a class full of Year 9s, which didn't get me much speaking experience.

Anyways, on the subject of OHS, it's pretty simple. You get assigned a teacher, who you will contact as often as necessary. You will be sent a book of work, which generally consists of 4 weeks of work. Each week, you go through the work, and send in the exercises marked with an icon that reads "Envoyez SVP" to your teacher. These will also be sent with a cover page. I don't know about Beginners, but for Continuers, you need to do 25 cover pages and 6 books. Each book comes with a CD containing listening exercises.

Upon recieving your work, you will be expected to ring your teacher and discuss a time to have phone lessons. You will recieve a book of questions in your first ever package, which your teacher will ask you each week. If possible your teacher (like mine) will ask you to call once a fortnight.

You also will have face-to-face lessons once a term, where you will meet your teacher and fellow classmates, as well as other classes taking your course. You will have to go into the OHS campus for these, and they consist of practising the 4 elements of French study: reading, writing, listening and speaking. You may also have an excursion some time in the year; for my class, they had an excursion to a French restaurant (but I didn't end up going as it clashed with something else)

You don't get assignments, and the exams are non-assessable. However, you need to be an independant worker and have a strong commitment to your work. If you're worried about experience, you will be able to pick it up; your teacher will use your speaking and written work as an indication of your abilities and help you with your problems.

Hope this helps!!! :D

Last edited:

mads21

HSC

Thankyou so much! Has helped heaps :) I can't wait till next year, am so excited :D

esu_chan

HSC

Le plaisir est pour moi! As an added note, I'm actually not too sure about the whole marking aspect of the exams, apparently you do get marked, however I'm not sure if it goes towards Year 12. In the exam you get marked for the four disciplines: reading, writing, speaking and listening; reading, writing and listening are part of the written test and the speaking is seperate.

Exam blah aside, I wish you the best of luck with French next year. Bonne chance!!! XD

mads21

HSC

Ok, I will have to wait and see :)
Merci, I am looking forward to it!

sm_moon

HSC
I'm not too sure about this but is there a trial exam for beginners french speaking? so far i've had mixed responses from my peers saying we do or we don't.... so do we have trial or do we jump straight into the actual exam??? help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)