best subject eva (1 Viewer)

cat empire

HSC
just wondering who else thought ext 2 glish was their fav subject? mine certainly was. doing poetry was the best choice i eva made too. i know it sounds so corny and cliche, but i learnt so much about myself writing my major work. i definately recomend doin it to ppl

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
cool :)

so do you have any advice to give to those doing poetry for ext 2 this year?

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Write your poems consistently throughout the year, and absolutely anything you write stick in your reflection journal. I wrote some drafts at the beginning of the year which I discounted but ended up using in my final product. Just enjoy it:D 4u is a great course

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
hey thanks heaps :)

what did you put into your journal throughout the year?

mine's kinda empty at the moment except for drafts of some poems :S

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
well I wrote in it when I thought of an idea, your entries can be as long or short as you want them to be. I went to the art gallery to get some inspiration so I bought a few postcards and stuck them in and talked about the ideas I got from them. You can always write a few entries about how you have severe writers block too ;) just basically write anything thats relevant, chances are they wont read it anywya though

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
yeah i see :)

What theme/concept did you explore?

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Well I looked at the themes/issues explored in the poetry of T.S. Eliot and tried to translate them in the context of the 21st century, seeing which themes were still relevant. So I ended up with poems in four sections - Women, Youth, Religion and Social Decay

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
super katie said:
well I wrote in it when I thought of an idea, your entries can be as long or short as you want them to be. I went to the art gallery to get some inspiration so I bought a few postcards and stuck them in and talked about the ideas I got from them. You can always write a few entries about how you have severe writers block too ;) just basically write anything thats relevant, chances are they wont read it anywya though
I agree. Put anything that gives you inspiation and if you mindmap ur ideas - do that in your ee2J as well.

My poems were based on the themes and events of Alice in Wonderland/Through the looking Glass - and how the Protagonist (in my Anthrology) uses the story to relate her experiences from childhood to Adulthood/innocence to experience.

I stuck in things like songs, pictures, photographs and samples of other poets work that inspired me. It is also a good idea to document EVERY change of idea or direction - just so everything is very straight forward and you can trace your progress for use in the RS.

It's also a good idea, if your going to go to writing semilars or something like that - to mention that in ur Journal and maybe give a bit of reflection on how it's helped your writing...

well, i hope that helped - the only thing i have to add is - pace yourself - write consistantly i.e don't leave everything to the last minute - think of a theme/plot that you can sustain passion for and commit to it! Don't change your mind 50 million times like i did! :p

oh...yeah...and have fun....hahaha
ok - GOOD LUCK 05ers
Peace out

*Hydra steps off soap box and dances gleefully - still revelling in the fact that she has finished her HSC.........*

Last edited:

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Im doin short stories but any medium really is worthwhile. the entire course is worth venturing into if only for the fact that it is entirely an independant creative work. Really I'm suprised how more people dont do it, I think ext 1 english scares them off or they think that ext 2 maths is relative to ext 2 english. It could be that and the work load scared them off. If your thinking about doing it, do it, I mean it's a bit late for us 2005 HSC students but for any prelims about to start consider ext 1 and ext 2 english.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
super katie said:
Well I looked at the themes/issues explored in the poetry of T.S. Eliot and tried to translate them in the context of the 21st century, seeing which themes were still relevant. So I ended up with poems in four sections - Women, Youth, Religion and Social Decay
my poems so far are based on women and religion (lol) how coincidental, not much to do with social decay or youth, but i was wondering, were could i find ur work? anywhere on the internet? Im still not sure upon what i should base my major work on, but all of my poems are related to the two topics quoted earlier.

And by the way, to all the students who have completed their EE2 major works for 2004, or any other year, i'd like to ask, was ur proposal what u ended up sticking to for ur major work?

thanx

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I havent actually got my work on the internet because i'm incredibly paranoid about plagiarism etc, if I actually make it into the showcase I might post it or you can read it there. Sorry! My end product was essentially the same idea as stated in my proposal but I changed the structure significantly, I think most people will end up with an end work different to what they set out to do. It might actually better as it also gives you more to write about in your reflection statement because you're meant to talk about how your Major Work evolved throughout the year, and if you end up somewhere different to where you started then its easier to write about.

physician

HSC
thanks a heap. I hope it does make the showcase, and yeh, i dont blame u for being paranoid. Looking forward to reading it as soon as it comes out, and hopefully ur work gets what it deserves.

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
physician said:
my poems so far are based on women and religion (lol) how coincidental, not much to do with social decay or youth, but i was wondering, were could i find ur work? anywhere on the internet? Im still not sure upon what i should base my major work on, but all of my poems are related to the two topics quoted earlier.

And by the way, to all the students who have completed their EE2 major works for 2004, or any other year, i'd like to ask, was ur proposal what u ended up sticking to for ur major work?

thanx
Hhahahahaahhaahaha...
well - since it's all over....i can now admitt to ppl - (with proof in my journal) that i changed my concept no less than seven times!!! - so....ah.............no is the answer.....hahahaha

peace out + GOOD LUCk 05ers!!

physician

HSC
please i need some direction. What should i include in my Reflection statement, most of my poems arent based on resreach or anything, i just feel inspired or feel the urge to write about an aspect that i'm unable to express verbally....

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
hey guys, just upon reading this i'm starting to feel a little bit of concern because i feel as though my work doesnt exactly have the great substance that everyone else's might, i havent got any concepts pertaining to any universal elements like sexism or racism, is there an expectation to have a clever concept like social decay or T.S Eliot's poetry? My concept involved the study of musicians and their contributions and relation to the poetic form (Noel Gallagher, Brandon Boyd, Kurt Cobain etc.). i havent come across anyone who is investigating a similar concept to me, so im starting to feel anxious as to whether my work would be well received

physician

HSC
black_man said:
hey guys, just upon reading this i'm starting to feel a little bit of concern because i feel as though my work doesnt exactly have the great substance that everyone else's might, i havent got any concepts pertaining to any universal elements like sexism or racism, is there an expectation to have a clever concept like social decay or T.S Eliot's poetry? My concept involved the study of musicians and their contributions and relation to the poetic form (Noel Gallagher, Brandon Boyd, Kurt Cobain etc.). i havent come across anyone who is investigating a similar concept to me, so im starting to feel anxious as to whether my work would be well received

wow i think that's an awesome idea... (don';t worry i'm not going to steel it)..

and no u don't have to write about such issues... infact ur idea is great because that's the type of uniquness i think the markers would be looking for... so infact u should be happy and not be worried... and that's quite interesting how ur relating musical contribution to the development of poetic form...

U havn't come across anyone who's investigating a similar concept because it's ur own liking... ur own choice, ur artistry and ur talent.. usualy people choose concepts to develop that are goverend by their interests.. for instance someone may have a passion for politics and therefore may wish to navigate and investigate the authenticity of our leaders in relation to their speeches(fake promises and stuf)... yeh

I think ur idea is great.. u have nothing to worry about...... actually i love ur idea so much ... I can't wait to read it...

Good luck

Last edited:

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Exactly physician. I used Eliot primarily because he is my favourite poet in the ENTIRE world. His work just brings me out in goose bumps. It shouldnt really matter if you're using popular culture as your basis, its just as valid as 'deeper' concepts. Explain it really well in your reflection statement and you'll be sweet

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
wow, thanks a lot guys, that is very very helpful, hopefully we'll all be able to read each others works and be inspired by them, thankyou so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)