best textbooks for prelim subjects? (1 Viewer)

bob II

HSC
Hi there,
I'm currently in year 10, and I was looking to buy some y11 textbooks for physics, chemistry and economics, just to get a headstart. I looked through some of my friend's textbooks, and many seem quite simplistic - I was wondering which brands you would recommend for each of these subjects? - preferably ones that will give me a more comprehensive understanding :)

Thanks in advance!!

idkkdi

HSC
Hi there,
I'm currently in year 10, and I was looking to buy some y11 textbooks for physics, chemistry and economics, just to get a headstart. I looked through some of my friend's textbooks, and many seem quite simplistic - I was wondering which brands you would recommend for each of these subjects? - preferably ones that will give me a more comprehensive understanding :)

Thanks in advance!!
Pearson chem

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!!
For Chemistry I'd suggest Pearson Chemistry, and maybe Chemistry in Focus (only for anything qualitative as they stuffed up answers for calculations).
For Physics I'd go Pearson Physics all the way, DO NOT use Physics in Focus for exercises and worked examples it's horrible

idkkdi

HSC
For Chemistry I'd suggest Pearson Chemistry, and maybe Chemistry in Focus (only for anything qualitative as they stuffed up answers for calculations).
For Physics I'd go Pearson Physics all the way, DO NOT use Physics in Focus for exercises and worked examples it's horrible
Jac phys better than Pearson imo. Surfing phys is pretty good if U don’t care about wrong calculation answers.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Jac phys better than Pearson imo. Surfing phys is pretty good if U don’t care about wrong calculation answers.
Yes much agreed was stuck on a question in surfing phys before and found out it had the wrong answer the whole time

AKONS

HSC
For economics, use the Dixon textbook book primarily but supplement with the Riley one. Dixon sometimes may be oversimplified and lack required detail while Riley has just way too much unnecessary detail. If you were to get just one textbook though, you'll still do well if you chose Dixon.

tito981

HSC
jac phys is a very good textbook, that covers more than pure calc questions.

turtle67

HSC
For economics, use the Dixon textbook book primarily but supplement with the Riley one. Dixon sometimes may be oversimplified and lack required detail while Riley has just way too much unnecessary detail. If you were to get just one textbook though, you'll still do well if you chose Dixon.
Are you going to use both for year 12 as well?

turtle67

HSC
I'll be using both the Dixon and Riley textbooks for year 12. I believe they're the best ones.
Yeah we get Strategic Economics with school, which would be better to supplement with? Or would it be best to supplement with both?

AKONS

HSC
Yeah we get Strategic Economics with school, which would be better to supplement with? Or would it be best to supplement with both?
I'm not really familiar with strategic economics but as far as I have researched into economics I heard the best textbook mix was Dixon supplemented by Riley. However, different mixes could work with different people I assume.

turtle67

HSC
I'm not really familiar with strategic economics but as far as I have researched into economics I heard the best textbook mix was Dixon supplemented by Riley. However, different mixes could work with different people I assume.
Yeah fair enough, I'll probably get at least one of those ones

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Year 11 Economics Dixon.

In years 12 and 11, get both Riley and Dixon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)