Best tutors at Zhang HSC (chem/phys) (1 Viewer)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
i remember seeing a post by @Eagle Mum about a tutor charging 285/hr 😭
ain't no way someones charging nearly $300/h for tutoring WHAT
To clarify - we engaged a 4th year maths honours student at Cambridge Uni who had been a member of the British Maths Olympiad team to help our son prepare for the AMO. Our son is the only student in the 40 year history of his public local school to ever be invited to the maths olympiad program, so there was no one local who could give him any advice, particularly after the AMT Selection School, to which he had been invited, was cancelled due to COVID. This tutor charged in British sterling pounds and the conversion rate to Aus dollars worked out to be $AU285 per lesson, which were 1 - 1.5 hrs, once a week. We thought it was well worth our money but he ended up getting a full time salaried job, so unfortunately, the arrangement only lasted a year. We’ve never used any other tutor or tutoring service.

Last edited:

edwxnsamuel

HSC
To clarify - we engaged a 4th year maths honours student at Cambridge Uni who had been a member of the British Maths Olympiad team to help our son prepare for the AMO. Our son is the only student in the 40 year history of his public local school to ever be invited to the maths olympiad program, so there was no one local who could give him any advice, particularly after the AMT Selection School, to which he had been invited, was cancelled due to COVID. This tutor charged in British sterling pounds and the conversion rate to Aus dollars worked out to be $AU285 per lesson, which were 1 - 1.5 hrs, once a week. We thought it was well worth our money but he ended up getting a full time salaried job, so unfortunately, the arrangement only lasted a year. We’ve never used any other tutor or tutoring service.
Ahh, context is key - seems valid given the circumstances, finding someone with the knowledge and experience is hard; supply and demand lmfao.

contro3ler

HSC
yo @edwxnsamuel what makes you say that ace is 'not in the convo' with other tutoring places? i'm doing the 2 week trial at ace and it seems aight as far as I can tell- both my tutors are unsw med students (you know the type, really helpful etc). could you please give reasons as to why zhangs/sigma might be better (for physics), aside from the class size (my phys class is currently 5 ppl lol) and classtime?
i've heard good things about sigma, but as far as i can tell rn, the only difference between ace/sigma for phys is question/resource quality.

kkk579

HSC
yo @edwxnsamuel what makes you say that ace is 'not in the convo' with other tutoring places? i'm doing the 2 week trial at ace and it seems aight as far as I can tell- both my tutors are unsw med students (you know the type, really helpful etc). could you please give reasons as to why zhangs/sigma might be better (for physics), aside from the class size (my phys class is currently 5 ppl lol) and classtime?
i've heard good things about sigma, but as far as i can tell rn, the only difference between ace/sigma for phys is question/resource quality.
which teacher do u have?

edwxnsamuel

HSC
Yeah so I've deleted those posts for the sake of how I articulated it. ACE still provides quality tutoring and I still recommend students to go there, however, I meant it in the sense that I preferred the other 4 from personal experience having actually gone there and seen the various styles of teaching; definitely worded it way too aggressively and bluntly. In the end, all tutoring centres still have success for students at the centre of their teaching model!

However, from personal experience, I can vouch for Sigma (having come here for Physics and also teaching here myself), PEAK (having gone here for Chemistry) and Zhangs (from the multiple tutors that I know work there and their teaching styles) for Physics and Chemistry. I find their teaching models and strategies were the most effective for me personally in achieving high marks in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)