Best Undergraduate Course for Medicine Via GAMSAT (1 Viewer)

kthara

HSC
Hi,

I am currently selecting courses to study in university next year and I was wondering if you could advise me on some questions I have.

During my undergraduate degree, I would like to take the GAMSAT and then do medicine so I am looking at a few pathway courses.

I am currently trying to choose between 1) Health Science 2) Biomedical Science 3) Nursing and 4) Pharmacy.

I am aware that if I do a nursing or pharmacy (one year longer) degree, I will have professional qualifications by the end of my course. But I also wanted to know if there are any advantages of doing one of the four courses over the rest in terms of the biology, chemistry and physics required for GAMSAT.

If you have any experience or knowledge about this, please let me know.

Thank you very much

aoc

HSC
A friend who did the GAMSAT in his 2nd year of uni (and got 97 percentile) told me that the sciences section is easy to learn by yourself so dont pick a course based on whether youll learn enough science from it (He also did that gamsat prep degree from UOW and said it was useless for the test). Pick a course based on something youll be willing to do if you decide not to pursue med anymore. That being said nursing/pharmacy is pretty good since a med lecturer @unsw told me health science jobs are hard to find due to lack of funding etc.

Also have you considered resitting the UMAT during uni instead of waiting for penult to do GAMSAT?

MSPTeam

HSC
N/A
Do something you will enjoy and apply yourself! Aim at maintaining a GPA of 7 or as close to (>80 as a mark in each and every subject).

On top of that:
1) Do UMAT every year and try and gain admission to undergrad schools.
2) Study for GAMSAT after your first year of University
3) From now - plan on how you will fill in your portfolio for schools like UOW and ND - these things will also add weight when you interview somewhere and have things to discuss about life and your experiences.
4) Apply to JCU every year - no GAMSAT or UMAT required but youll need to be able to fill in their application form with quality responses.

iStudent

HSC
Of the 4 you mentioned, nursing has the best employment prospects. I heard it's becoming really congested for the other 3 courses your mentioned.

Also, it is probably easiest to score high GPAs in nursing considering most nursing students are there to become nurses (which only needs a pass grade). On the other hand, health science/bio med science students are typically there as a stepping stone for medicine - which means it will be more competitive to attain HDs. This is because the uni more or less decides % of students in each course who receives HDs (I think it's around 5-10%?)

So in that sense, nursing will probably be the safest and easiest route to post grad medicine + it's a viable career path.

Edit: I did a quick google search. Are you sure nursing isn't a 3 year degree?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)