Best Uni for Japanese(language)? (1 Viewer)

pires_w

HSC
My friend's a current year 12 student whos sitting for HSC 2008. he wanna do japanese in uni, can anyone tell me which uni is the best for japanese in Australia?

Thank you=]

X

xeuyrawp

There's really no best or worst uni for anything - something which is in the top ranks, has heaps of students, has a massive UAI cutoff (=high demand and/or low supply), etc may not be the best uni for you or your friend.

When I was looking at doing Japanese, I was personally looking to go to ANU and get involved in their year away program. Their degrees are really comprehensive, and the staff are great. Outside of ANU, most unis in Sydney have Japanese and are essentially as good as each other - you need to look at exchange/international options, and how they're funded.

Anyway, prepare yourself for students to come in and say "x uni is the best", simply because they go there.

HSC
I think they're all at the same level in Australia. I personally chose to do it at UTS because it's only offered as a combined degree as a Arts in International Studies (as i wanted to do sci degree anyway) and also it doesn't require as much political stuff.. It seems more language based only. You do ONE unit of Foundations of International Studies and that's it I think the rest are language classes.

Then in 4th year you're required to go overseas for a year. Even though UTS doesn't cover accomadation or anything, they'll pay for your plane ticket + uni tuition (but that's paid by you anyway through uni fees lol)

Hope that helped

HSC
I moved to Armidale (University of New England) to do Languages.

They have a very good Languages department and are well worth looking in to.

They teach eight languages I believe - German, French, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Indonesian, Latin and Greek.

Don't just over look UNE because of its location!

Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)