Best Uni to study med (1 Viewer)

lizajane91

HSC
just out of curiousity!! (and as a thread starter as we all wait anxiously for UMAT results when we should be worried about the HSC):haha:

-which uni is the most competitive/hardest to get into? (rural and general entry)
-where do u want to go? and why?
-are most people applying to basically every uni possible (like me)?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
there really isnt a 'best' uni to study med. they all have different emphasises.
in terms of competition, ur looking at either monash or UNSW. monash being the only undergard med school in Victoria is bound to be very competitive.
but these differences are only marginal bearing in mind that many ppl want to do med and would go anywhere to do it.
it doesnt make a difference where you go, a doctor is a doctor. ur skills are dependant on ur own ability/hardwork.

therubixcomplex

HSC
I agree with FreshOffTheBoat. Furthermore, all of them are competitive to get into (however UNSW, Monash and UWA are notorious for it). For example, Newcastle medical school set's their UAI and UMAT cutt-offs comparatively lower and entrance is based primary off the interview once you are over those cutt-offs. The trade-off is that you have to interview brilliantly.

I'm studying medicine at newy, and I chose it mainly because of the shorter program (5 years- however you can extend it to 6 and do a year of research after Year 3) and its' emphaisis on clinical exposure and self-directedness in the curriculum.
Most people apply anywhere and everywhere, and apply to specific universities for weird and wacky reasons. I have a classmate who decided to come here based on a flip of a coin.
So apply everywhere. A medical degree is a medical degree is a medical degree, and once you graduate where you got it from appears to fade into irrelevance.
Good Luck!

Tim035

HSC
If you're Asian or Indian, go to UNSW, if you're not, seriously consider going to Newcastle.

- UNSW is probably the most competitive as it sucks in all the 99+ UAIers from all of Sydney's private schools
- I want to get out of this country as I do not like the direction the medical system is inevitably traveling in
- Everyone who considers themselves 'serious at getting in to med' tends to apply to every uni in Australia that offers med.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
UTAS only has a high UMAT cutoff. once u achieve this, a 96 ATAR is sufficient. but its only competitive cuz they that about 10 intersate students. USyd is competitive also 99.95 ATAR compulsory (only (20-30 places). but these shouldnt really count as any med school would have those requirements if they only had 20 places.

UNSW is pretty much azn/curry central because of the selection criteria they have in place (1/3, 1/3 1/3 for each of the 3 components). if you can score high on the UMAT and ATAR, then a fairly average interview will do. and who are the ones who get high ATAR and UMAT scores? yep u guessed it. so if you dont like being around azns/curries, the best place to study med would not be UNSW. if ur azn/curry and only hang out with ppl of the same ethnicity, go to UNSW. its a big generalisation, but pretty true.

places like uncle/adel/monash are pretty balanced because they have a much stronger emphasis on the interview. (uncle=100% interview)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
UNSW is pretty much azn/curry
I do conceed that Asian (females) are the proportionately dominant demographic and Caucasian (males = me) are least common, but it nonetheless feels relatively balanced. Do note that ~ 20% of the UNSW intake is rural, the majority of which I would judge to be Anglo-Celtic/European. If anything we have so many Asians on account of our massive international student intake (probably~ 25% of the cohort, primarily drawing on South-East Asia). The UNSW cohort is much more 'balanced' than you make it out to be.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
lol, but when i went to the interview, 90% of the canditates were curry/azn. i guess they use that as a means of balancing it out? haha
a friend showed me the pics she took at the UNSW med camp and i struggled to see ppl of anglo saxon origin. i guess they all got drunk and passed out...

sladehk

le random
HSC
clearly you guys are mistaken
obviously UWS > all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)