Big diff between Exam and Asess marks? (1 Viewer)

S

Shuter

What's some of the biggest gaps you know/other people got?

For Ext1 Maths I got Exam of 73 and an assessment of 57! That's 16 points difference!

Someone else I know got an examination of 32 for EX2 English but her assessment was 47! That's 15 (or 30 if out of 100) points difference.

I guess my question is how can the schools get it so wrong?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Maybe its not necessarily the schools getting wrong, but the student studying hard post-trials or not, or also unfurling under the pressure of the exam situation. And btw, Ext2 English is extremely dodgy, all the time, with everyone. Your friend is no exception.

Afurotsu

HSC
N/A
For Physics, I have a thirteen point difference between my assessment and exam mark, with assessment coming out higher. Damn that bloody weird exam... I mean, I didn't expect Michael Jordan to be in it! :mad:

The rest of my results had a one to two point difference between the two marks.

julia_jules

HSC
N/A
me too - my exam mark for Legal Studies was 13 marks lower than my assessment. i'm not sure what happened.

Scanorama

HSC
My assessment mark for Chemistry is 10 marks higher than my exam mark. Geez that exam was very weird.

stoydgen

Shiftius Curry
HSC
yeah my maths assessment mark went from a 56 RAW to a 71 scaled :S Weird how that works...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
My exam marks are exACTly the same as my assesment...does that sound like a cock up?

Scanorama

HSC
stoydgen said:
yeah my maths assessment mark went from a 56 RAW to a 71 scaled :S Weird how that works...
How did you find out your raw mark in the first place?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Shuter said:

For Ext1 Maths I got Exam of 73 and an assessment of 57! That's 16 points difference!

Someone else I know got an examination of 32 for EX2 English but her assessment was 47! That's 15 (or 30 if out of 100) points difference.

who says the school got it wrong? maybe there was a shit marker or something. i also think that school assessment invloves more than the major work itself but also viva voces or what ever aswell

and for your mark in math, that assessment mark corresponds to the mark someone at your school got in the exams in the rank you had at school. ie your school results were plain not as good as your exam result

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
got an 8 pint difference for buisness studies, 8 points for dance, 8 points for chem and 5 for eng ext......damn it, and all my assessments were better....and i studied hard too!!!!! but i kno somebody that had a 17 point difference between exam and assessment.....very weird

whitey1

HSC
Doesn't a difference between your exam mark and assesment mark just mean you have changed position relative to the students from your school. The assessment marks are awarded to have the same statistical properties as the exam marks from your school, so will have the same mean, standard deviation etc. I dropped 10 points in Chemistry and English Advanced, but I'd been doing really well in the early assessments in both those subjects, and could easily believe people I was beating in the assessment had beaten me in the exam. In Extension 1 maths, I gained 5 points, but I had done really badly in the last few assessments, and my ranking had dropped a number of spots. I'm pretty confident I could have beaten people in the exam who were ahead of me in the assessments.

nomz

my biggest difference was for chem- i got an assessment mark of 87 and and examination mark of 75... i was not amused!

malkin86

HSC
My biggest difference was - 13 for French Continuers and + 7 for Geography. I've heard you can appeal it if it was 15 marks or more.

HSC
N/A
English Extension 2 - school mark, 46, Exam mark, 35. 11 points difference... perhaps not as big as some others, but still big enough to make my eyes goggle out :O Plus, my school has a reputation for doing well in english... I just assume the markers hated my major work :p :)

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I got an assessment of 82 and a exam mark of 91 for business studies in 2002, not that bigger difference I supposed but I was still pissed.

cameron0110

HSC
Last year I did economics accelerated and I got an exam mark of 97 and an assessment of 87, didn't end up counting... but at the time I wasn't too happy about my assessment dragging me down.

tensai

HSC
For me it's all good. I love my school, my school assessment marks are all either higher or equal to my hsc exam mark (proly melted under exam pressure and lack of sleep)

But i know a 4unit maths dude from our school whose school mark is 98. But his Hsc mark is only 93, soooooooo his exam mark must be 88.....so he died pretty bad

helper

HSC
N/A
Shuter said:

The Assessment is not an estimate and isn't suppose to reflect your HSC mark. It is there to reflect your effort and understanding over the year.
What the difference tells everyone is you did not achieve as well relative to the rest of your group (class) during the year. You then performed better in the final exam. So instead of blaming the school, look at how you could have achieved better earlier.

Schools are told not to try and estimate the exam.

jellybeenz

HSC
I got 84 as my Assessment mark for Ancient History and 94 as my Exam Mark-- I blame the school. I blame the teacher bias that lead to me getting a low assessment mark.

Our teacher had never taught Ancient History before, had no idea what to do when marking. She gave top marks to the same people all the time. When I went to ask why the others work was better than mine, she had no answer. Mostly my work was equal to what they did yet I still could not achieve the marks I wanted. This has left me with a low Assessment mark, I knew if I wrote the same way in the exam as I did in the assessments it would be proven that I am just as good as the other students and it did, however I was robbed of my Band 6 because of the low assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)