Big Words in English (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Is it necessary to use these to achieve high marks? My teacher keeps telling us to use simple language because most of the time we won't be able to control our language if we use sophisticated words.

bored of sc

HSC
Is it necessary to use these to achieve high marks? My teacher keeps telling us to use simple language because most of the time we won't be able to control our language if we use sophisticated words.
Unless you're an HSC marker it's really hard to say. As you know, it would be much better to write a sustained, eloquent piece with relatively simple language rather than a verbose, disjointed essay with relatively sophisticated language.

A great teacher of mine once told me to do both. Keep it simple in terms of sentence structure and phrasing, but then add a few sophisticated words to your writing (but don't force them into your writing, make sure the piece flows).

Use simple language, yes! But where possible add sophisticated language to enhance your work. For example, rather than using the phrase 'makes clear' use the word 'illuminates'. Instead of 'stands for' use 'symbolises'. Instead of 'makes reference to' use 'alludes to'. It's a small and seemingly insignificant change of a word/phrase here or there that can be the difference between a band 5 and band 6. It's this kind of attention of detail that benefits your writing.

Hope that helps.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
no it's not necessary, but it can impress the marker.... at times
other times sophisticated and verbose syntax will act as a hindrance to getting your point across

aim to use words that most teachers will understand

all in all though, short sentences and moderately sophisticated essays are the way to go

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Maybe it's just my school but I've read band 6 exemplar essays that have very simple sentence structure ie. she uses "this shows that..." for every explaination of her quotes and the longest word of the essay was 'Skryznecki'.

I think unless you're super at english, overusing long words makes the essay look forced and means you can't fit as much ideas in.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe it's just my school but I've read band 6 exemplar essays that have very simple sentence structure ie. she uses "this shows that..." for every explaination of her quotes and the longest word of the essay was 'Skryznecki'.

I think unless you're super at english, overusing long words makes the essay look forced and means you can't fit as much ideas in.
my english tutor has told me that such phrases are fine.. but also try to stray away from using words such as "explicates", "expounds" or "substantiates" etc

instead: "demonstrates", "conveys", "depicts", "shows", "portrays", "symbolises", "typify" etc make you seem less try-hard and, most importantly, makes things flow easier.. the flow~~~

js992

HSC
It can be good, but if you're already bad at english and hoping to improve using big words, chances are it won't work. People tend to overdo the big words and like someone said above, it just makes your essay hard to read and probably score you down.

If you can use them well and eloquently, they can make your essay much more sophisticated as opposed to saying "This shows this, and that shows this". What i find best is, get as much teacher feedback as possible cause they will be able to tell you(hopefully) if you are overdoing it, or if you've written a sophisticated essay.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
I'd imagine that stylistic flow as opposed to 'big words' would be more effective in getting better marks.
I think above post illustrated this well though :)

MetroMattums

HSC
As long as you provide sufficient explanation, analysis and quotation you should be fine regardless of your diction.

babysnow

i like munchies
HSC
As long as you provide sufficient explanation, analysis and quotation you should be fine regardless of your diction.
this.

what's more important is making sure you follow your points through to its final conclusion. 'big words' are more likely to clog up your essay like the people above have said. you also don't want to fall into the trap of taking the big words out of context and using them inappropriately.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's not necessary at all, especially if you don't know how to use the words in the right context.

Just make sure your sentences flow and you'll be alright. Of course if you know some "big words", throw them in every now and again but avoid using too much jargon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)