Bio: Science Ollympiad (1 Viewer)

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
is anyone from yr 11 doing the Olympiad, i dont really want to cuz i thought it was for yr 12s but my teacher put me in without asking so... anyone else?

Guernica

HSC
Hmmm no... I didn't know about it. What is it? I think I did an olympiad of some sort in like... year 6...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
omigodwhenover said:
is anyone from yr 11 doing the Olympiad, i dont really want to cuz i thought it was for yr 12s but my teacher put me in without asking so... anyone else?
I got nominated for Chemistry. Details here:
http://www.aso.edu.au/www/index.cfm
Basically, every school nominates has teahcers nominate around 4 students to represent the school in the Science Olympiad in Chemistry, Physics and Biology. You compete with the entire nation, in a national qualifying exam. If you qualify in the top ranks in the nation, then you go on to the international competition, where you go overseas to compete.
I'd say go for it. If you're particularly interested in science, then this would make you stand out on your resume and job opportunities. You get a certificate, even if you don't make it past the qualifying rounds.

HSC
im doing all three sci olymps....apparently this is the final year you can do it if ure in year 11

milton

HSC
yes for all olympiads the latest yr u can do it is yr11 if u want to be selected for the training schools
you can do the olympiad in yr12 but you cant get selected since the international olympiad will be next yr and you'l be in uni by that time

if you do well enough you get invited to a couple of training schools where they select a team of 4-6 students to represent aus overseas.

i'm doing informatics, which is basiicaly computer programming :)

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
oh ok thanx guys im just worried i wont know enough stuff cuz i looked at some of the past papers and there is definetly some year 12 stuff there

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
-neurosurgeon- said:
im doing all three sci olymps....apparently this is the final year you can do it if ure in year 11
WTF! I thought you could only get nominated for ONE science subject.

P

pLuvia

man im so jealous of you guys being so smart at sciences.. :p :)
what is this thing anyways i dont see my teachers electing anyone.. :(

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
to get into it you have to be nominated by your science teacher and you can do it for more than one; they usually pick the top 4 people in the half-yearly exams i think, at least thats what my teacher did but have you guys looked at the past papers? definetly hard!!!

let.me.die

HSC
i got nominated too... and went to that website.. those past papers seem really really hard.. kinda having second thoughts... on a side note.. one of those girls in the bio team is from the saddle club tv show

ishq

brown?
HSC
Did that last year...
Complete waste of time...

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
Oh my goodness it's HER from Saddle Club. Gosh she must be talented.

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
velox said:
you havent made it yet remember. Being nominated is nothing special
I disagree, being nominated means you are the top in your school so even that is a good thing

HSC
You can do as many of the NQEs (National Qualifying Exams) as you want, and then they invite the top 25 (20?) to a 2 week or so camp in January, and there and during the next term they pick the team from those people to represent Australia at the international olympiad. The camps for each science are on at basically the same time, and so even though you can do more than one NQE, you can only go to one camp. (This is only for Physics, Chemistry and Biology, the selections for Maths and Informatics are different)

You may as well do them, it's just an exam, and it's a very nice thing to have in your CV.

The papers are supposed to be hard. In school exams, students get close to full marks all the time. In olympiad exams, passing is an acheivement. For example, in the IMO this year, I got 21/42, exactly half marks. This was almost a silver (23 cutoff).

I'm doing the Physics and Chemistry NQEs this year, but only for fun really.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
My Chem teacher put me in...but I highly doubt I'm going to get anywhere. It seems like an excellent way to pass the time since I won't be doing my AMus **glares northwards** and the exam is like September 7th, which would be the time I'd be piano-ing my heart out.

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
My Chem teacher put me in...but I highly doubt I'm going to get anywhere. It seems like an excellent way to pass the time since I won't be doing my AMus **glares northwards** and the exam is like September 7th, which would be the time I'd be piano-ing my heart out.
the bio exam is the 31st of aug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)