Books or binders? (1 Viewer)

bangtansonyeondan

HSC
I'm going into year 11 next year and I was wondering if books or binders are more useful. :rolleyes:

doggossigh

HSC
I'm going into year 11 too, but I pretty much use my laptop for everything (except maths) because I'm a fast typer and it's much more organized (since I have messy handwriting lol). I'm just going to use my laptop for writing notes and stuff but I'll keep handouts and sheets in binders. That's just what I'm doing lol, but if I weren't using a laptop, I would probably just stick to using a book and gluing in sheets.

Best of luck for next year :)

bangtansonyeondan

HSC
Oh ok thanks!!! I'll probably just use books then for next year since I normally don't bring my laptop to school. :D

Frostguard

HSC
I'm going into year 11 too, but I pretty much use my laptop for everything (except maths) because I'm a fast typer and it's much more organized (since I have messy handwriting lol). I'm just going to use my laptop for writing notes and stuff but I'll keep handouts and sheets in binders. That's just what I'm doing lol, but if I weren't using a laptop, I would probably just stick to using a book and gluing in sheets.

Best of luck for next year :)
I don't mean to be rude or anything but shouldn't you be using books just because you have bad handwriting? My teachers are constantly telling us to handwrite our writing tasks because everybody's handwriting is terrible and they don't want to deduct marks simply because they cannot read the writing...
They're always like ' until the HSC examinations become typing-based, focus on the legibility of your handwriting so the markers can actually read your writing'
I'd probably type out my notes like you during class but ky laptop so heavy I'm literally better off just bringing my books instead lol

unsweetened68

HSC
I personally prefer separate books and folders for each subject because I find binders bulky and heavy. I also prefer keeping my school materials inside my school bag rather than having to carry it around, but there isn't really a better way. It all depends on the individual.
If you like intimidating juniors, go for the binder ;)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I was in a similar boat when commencing yr 11, so I'll give you some tips that I learnt along the way.

Staying physically organised -
At school -
I carried a single folder (2-Ring), and I used coloured tabs to differentiate between my different subjects.

At home -
- I had a separate folder for each subject at home (Arch-Lever) for each subject, and typically bought more for subjects like maths.
- I would do all my notes on a single day, normally Saturday morning but I shifted to Friday night later on as I preferred starting my weekend with homework and study rather than note taking. Side note; I made/make my notes on google docs as I find it easier and faster than hand writing, which I save later as a study method.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:

DontCallMeYoshiko

HSC
I prefer to use a binder at school for all my books but maths as it doesn't have any binder holes.
My school discourages the use of laptops in class and encourages us to hand write notes but doesn't mind us typing up homework and assessment tasks.
Also a tip if you choose to carry a binder. If you laminate your timetable and hole punch binder holes into the timetable it can be quite handy for quick checks.
Hope I could have been of assistance!

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hey,

I realised that what worked for me while I didn't take my laptop to school was to make class & textbook notes on paper (usually random A4 or loose paper that I'd find) and then have a sleeve for each subject. Then I'd write actual syllabus notes & subject summaries (both based on what what I had already written and any extra resources I had) on my computer. This way, not only was I able to have neat, easier to understand notes by the time I got to my exams, but I also learnt the content twice, which helped me retain it all more easily.
For maths, I didn't write notes per se (just wrote down anything that seemed important in class), but just found them online, did heaps of past papers, and went back to the textbook if I REALLY didn't understand something.

All the best for next year!!!

HSC
I'm going to be in year 11 this year too and I'm going to take binders since I don't want a heavy bag... I'm also really lazy and hate going to my locker. lmao

Milo_

HSC
My subjects are:
- Maths Adv.
- English Adv.
- SOR II
- Physics
- Business Studies
- Multimedia

I have binders for each subject at home (except Multimedia as majority of the work is Computer-based. Theory work is typed up for me). Either way, each binder has dividers to seperate topics in accordance to their subject and each will have a folder/sleeves to hold sheets.

At school, I am bringing perforated exercise books; these are essentially books that contain binder holes, that can rip 'easily'. So; at the end of each topic, I just rip them from my book and place them to their desired binder. I also have loose leaf papers for note taking at home.

For Maths:
- Grid Book (or any exercise book, I had some lying around) for theory work and homework.
- Looseleaf papers to re-write theory (and to put them into a binder later)
- Blank Paper to do exercises for study.

Hope this helps out; shoutout to people such as BLIT and supR for providing me with ideas and assistance, appreciate it! :)

Last edited:

DJYeetz

HSC
For the other subjects besides maths what would u talk notes on at home. Plus would it be wise to make flash cards for every new concept you learn and then revise them a the end of each week while continuously adding to them and eventually have like a 100 for yearly practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)