Breadth Subjects (1 Viewer)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I've just been having a look on the website at the breadth subjects available when you do one of the Melbourne Model courses. Has anyone else thought about them at all?

I have a few that I'm interested in -
Introduction to Cinema Studies
Calculus 2
French Beginners Language and Culture
Myth, Art and Empire: Greece and Rome
From Graffiti to Terrorism

I'll probably go with French and the Greece and Rome one. Have to wait and see if I get in, I guess. Although I think when you enrol you have to have your subject choices ready so I figured I might as well try and work it out.

E

ellasrules

OMG OMG i dont understand these breadth subjects!! so ur gona do that greece and rome thing as a whole subject?? i thought it was ONE compnent of like a broader subject, i didnt no u culd do such specific subjects!

so if i wanted 2 do business law...id hav 2 choose a subject within business law, or is that an actual BREADTH SUBJECT??

im gona do french beginners as well but since im doin an arts degree, isnt that part of arts already?

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
If you go here and select Bachelor of Arts (you're doing arts, right?) and then All Subjects, it will give you a list of all the breadth subjects that you are allowed to do for your course.

Here is information on the structure of your course, including how many breadth subjects you need to do.

As you can see, generally you do one breadth subject each semester (if you look at the sample course plans), so all you need to do is choose two subjects from the list for your first year.

Hope this helps!

kenny.

HSC
I thought you could pretty much do any subjects for your breadth subjects?

And also fish sauce (soz i dunno ur name lol) you're gonna do archi as well aren't you?
If you look here at the "Possible Course Structure", I dunno why there are 2 "electives" in Year 1 instead of 2 breadths :S

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Actually yeah that's a good point, I don't know what that means. I haven't seen anything about electives so I don't know what they are. Crap. There go my breadth choices :(

EDIT

It says here though that in the first year you choose two breadth subjects, so I'm not sure why it says electives rather than breadth. It specifies special subjects for geomatics and civil engineering, but nothing for Architecture. Weird.

Last edited:
E

ellasrules

hey thanks heaps fish sauce (lmao u shuld change ur name haha), but yeh thanku...i still think its weird..maybe it'll all be explained on academic advice day??

I rang melb uni 2day...we have to do 6 breadth subjects over the 3 yr course right...anyway thats 2 each year, one each semester i suppose....and u pick a discipline area..(eg. French beginners, ancient world studies, etc) and you choose a cubject within that area correct??

Thats my basic understanding, its prob wrong but i dunoo...and on top of that i dont even get like majors/minors lol....im like the thickest person at melb uni lmao...im sure ill figure it out by the time the course is over lol...

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
lol, it's a long process to change my username so I can't be bothered. There is a semi-decent reason why I use it though, haha.

Yeah that's what the day seems to be for, there's a whole session just explaining how they work. I'm not sure if they make a minor or not, but they at least let you do something that interests you (like the ones I'm going to choose if I can, French and the history one). Anyway it'll all work out, uni takes a bit of getting used to. I'm still a bit confused. Looking forward to it though!

kenny.

HSC
Hey you know how it has 3 different groups of Breadth subjects info sessions we can go to (from the advice day booklet).
I don't get it, does it mean they only talk about the subjects in that group? Coz they're like specific subjects with really weird names...

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'm not bothering with them because I'm not interested in any of those subjects. If you look at the list that I linked to in my other post you'll find the weird named subjects, a lot of the breadth subjects are like that.

EDIT

Sorry, to get to the list you need to select Bachelor of Environments, All Subjects and then click search. They're all the breadth subjects we are allowed to do.

kenny.

HSC
Thanks for that! Won't be able to make any of those breadth subject ones anyway coz our Environments session is 9-11am.

btw do you think it's a typo lol? it says both Surnames (A-L) and (M-Z) are 9 - 11am in the same theatre. So it goes for 2 hours?!? whereas all the others go for 1 hour...

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
kenny. said:
Thanks for that! Won't be able to make any of those breadth subject ones anyway coz our Environments session is 9-11am.

btw do you think it's a typo lol? it says both Surnames (A-L) and (M-Z) are 9 - 11am in the same theatre. So it goes for 2 hours?!? whereas all the others go for 1 hour...
Yeah I wondered about that too, plus the other ones with everyone in the same session say "All". I hope we're all together cause I only know two people and I narrowly miss being in one of their sessions and widely miss the other one by alphabet, lol.

kenny.

HSC
Hmm I might give them a call tomorrow since I've got nothing better to do lol, hope they're around on saturdays though!
dw coz most people will be the same! I doubt there'll be groups of more than 10-15 ppl from a certain school since there were only something like 350 year12 round 1 offers. Think about how many high schools there are in Victoria!! also there're some from interstate as well.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's true, my reasons are mainly to catch up though cause I haven't seen them in a while and it's a convenient place cause we all have to be there, lol.

E

ellasrules

guys i was reading thru that booklet thing and those weird breadth studies are university breadth studies or some shit...like r they more general?? even thought theyre so specific!!, the ones like french that we wana do are under certain faculties..like i wana do all the Law breadth studies..so law has like 3 you can choose from...i think thats it....but yeh im not interested in any of those other ones either...i hope the session regarding our degree, like im doin arts, mentions all that stuff and explains like minors and majors!!
Good luck guys!!

kenny.

HSC
I think all the breadth subjects we can do are 1st year subjects that people do in their degree.
For example, Intro to Micro/macro something is a 1st year Commerce subject.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
We can do any subject on that list that you get through the search, not just the ones under University Breadth. Those are just more broad subjects I think, not specific to a faculty. Don't worry, you can do the ones listed as being under other faculties as well, as long as they're on that list.

99% sure on this one, you can check tomorrow I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)