budgeting for uni (1 Viewer)

theycallmebob

HSC
trying to figure out budgeting for next year

how do you pay for living expenses and all while going to uni? I will most definitely not be receiving financial support from parents and I will be living away from home (going to sydney, currently in newcastle)

will I need to save up beforehand?
will I need to start looking for a job early?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Definitely see if you qualify for youth allowance. There's also: living away from home allowance, abstudy, rental assistance that you should aim to get.

Otherwise, you probably want to be making at least $200 a week. Rent will take up a large amount of that, and ideally, you'd want more if you can get it.

izzy88

HSC
Youth allowance can be quite difficult to get, however definitely look into it.

Rent in sydney is expensive - especially around the uni's. It depends which uni you go to, and how close to uni you want to be - but if you want to live in the inner city (glebe/newtown etc for sydney uni), then you are looking at generally upwards of $170 per week in rent (for your own room). I pay about $195 a week and that is low compared to most of my friends (who pay about $220 a week or so).

Most uni's provide information regarding accommodation in the area - and there may be special university places that operate around the uni with cheap rent. Eg. at USYD there is STUCCO which is student co-op housing - very difficult to get into, but the rent is about $70 a week!

You will also need extra for bills, internet, food, textbooks etc. If you can save up some money before hand that is probably good as it gives you a bit of breathing space to get into sydney, look for a job etc. Uni's in sydney don't generally start until beginning of March so there can be time to earn some money after school finishes - although remember to have a break! Universities can also offer financial bursaries, and you can get emergency financial help (loans) from the Student representative council etc.

Last edited:

theycallmebob

HSC
already have youth allowance. is it hard to get shared rentals with other students?

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
already have youth allowance. is it hard to get shared rentals with other students?
Well that's good! Personally, I realised with my expenses I couldn't live off youth allowance alone - rent/food/bills etc would be more than what I get out of youth allowance, so I have a job where most of my income comes from to pay everything.

Shared rentals with students are quite common - you could either look to set something up yourself, or move into an already existing student house. Since I assume you will be coming down to sydney before you start uni, you may not know many people, so it may be better to look for an already established student house. Either that or look into getting a place with any school friends who are also coming down to sydney perhaps.

At USYD, there is an accommodation database where people can advertise places/rooms to rent. I think you have to be enrolled to get access to it, but that can be useful to find places to move into. I also know of people who advertise using gumtree etc. Just be careful not to get tricked by scams, or places where there are 10 people to a flat!

http://sydney.edu.au/current_students/accommodation/first_year.shtml - this site can be useful for general information, avoiding scams, what you should look for etc. Most uni's probably have a similar kind of site, however the general information is applicable anywhere :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Common sense/basic things

-Don't spend money on unnecessary shit (e.g. going out and buying a phone cover for $50)
-Always divide earnt money into expenses and always leave aside more money than you think that are needed for certain things (e.g. food)
-Remember, you're coming for study not partying all night
-Get to know some people who are doing the same thing, this can ease the pressure and make a smoother move (a problem shared is a problem halved)
-Start looking into possible jobs and job applications now, so after the HSC your not saying wtf is going on.

Basically, just live within your means.

Adiós :)

Examine

same
HSC
Common sense/basic things

-Don't spend money on unnecessary shit (e.g. going out and buying a phone cover for $50)
-Always divide earnt money into expenses and always leave aside more money than you think that are needed for certain things (e.g. food)
-Remember, you're coming for study not partying all night
-Get to know some people who are doing the same thing, this can ease the pressure and make a smoother move (a problem shared is a problem halved)
-Start looking into possible jobs and job applications now, so after the HSC your not saying wtf is going on.

Basically, just live within your means.

Adiós :)
You're not even in uni yet lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)