Burger theorys (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Burger theorys: An analogy to writing english.

made this thread since I've explained most of it in: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?p=1314596

This is my basic hamburger theory that should get above average. Meatburgers is better except it takes so much longer to prepare.

Using telling the truth as an example (apply to all other english stuff):

Intro: (topping/teaser)

Discuss what your interpretation of The truth is often distorted by the powerful for their own purposes means. Then, state the episodes of Frontline which illustrate this. From memory, you can use Smaller fish to Fry as an example.

Body: (meat)

show examples in your text which illustrate this point, and EXPAND to other areas.. such as the creation of half truths and what happens as a result of these false information.
About 3 examples from each text or 2 detailed ones from each (I prefer the 2 detailed ones which expands rather than 3 totally different cases.)

End: (bread, something for them to chew at)
Conclude what your final judgment of the subject is and try to engage the audience to leave a lasting impression.

now, the hamburger will get you the content marks.
The meatburger.. will take much longer.. as said above.. it will need to LINK with everything! like totally flows on, i.e. Don't start a new example without leading into it etc...
It needs to have the textual intergrety as you've studied in MOD B.

heres two of the "editing" paragraphs I prepared for my HSC...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDITING:
In the interview with both the Gunman in ‘The Siege’, and Homer in ‘Homer Badman’, ‘truth’ is silenced when their subjects attempts to affirm their innocence. While Moore diverts the attention to the safety of the children, a dramatic element within the story which also positions his audience to see him as caring, the pivotal incident in ‘Homer Badman’ is the way the interview is edited and transformed into a damning indictment of an unrepentant, “overweight pervert”. The use of editing in the media is ridiculed with an obvious paused shot of Homer, and the clock hand oscillating between the words “sweet” and “can” (edited from “candy”). And in the case of Godfrey Jones, he feigns an attack by homer to demonstrate the lengths he would go to in search for truth and justice. Thus, in both Moore and Jones’ televised interview, the ‘pure’ truth is never shown and both presenters represent themselves as heroic and caring while solely being concerned with ego and prestige.

Likewise, ‘Add Sex and Stir’ satirizes the unethical practices that occurs ‘behind the scene’ after an interview. This is seen through the post-interview ‘editing’ done by Brooke, who changes the question asked during the interview to completely alter the meaning of one of the interviewee’s replies. Although the show attains good ratings, Brooke’s antics ‘backfire’ on her at the end of the episode, in which she is confronted by the captain of the women’s sports team, reproving her morally corrupt journalism and for the lack of substance in her story as she only ‘reported half the story, and beat up the rest’. Brooke, ultimately amoral, does not let the situation change her attitude or behavior.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See how it all links together (or seem to when you read it fast)?
Issues with each text is linked with the other, it also introduces your new texts to the examiner.

Credits where credit's due. Now, I don't pretend to be an expert; I owe most of this theory to my nice tutor, Jerry, who is now a good friend of mine.

Last edited:

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
I'm glad you do :D

If you're able to produce a meatburger for the examiner in the test, with all the juices staying in their mouth from the first bite to the last, you're almost gurranteed a band 6.

Just give them what the customer wants! i.e. Answer the question.

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Eagles said:
I'm glad you do :D

If you're able to produce a meatburger for the examiner in the test, with all the juices staying in their mouth from the first bite to the last, you're almost gurranteed a band 6.

Just give them what the customer wants! i.e. Answer the question.
Grrr - the mETAphor is in my brain now. Thanks a lot, pal.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
hmmm, hamburgers huh. we were always told to use...*evil music*...ESSAY MAN. but then, our teacher was a little wierd...

not sure a hamburger metaphor gives the right sense of structural unity though does it?

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
"ESSAY MAN"? is that another technique?

Well, it worked out quite nicely for me thank-you-very-much ;) I think the markers apparently liked the taste :D

It's much much easier/and more fun to remember than a basic (boring) structure.

And no. Its NOT a metaphor! its an analogy! :p

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
lol

An essay/speech IS not a hamburger!

Saying something IS another thing IS a metaphor. Am I not right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)