BUSS1020 / MATH1905 Help (1 Viewer)

MLG Wood

HSC
I'm a 1st year enrolled in Bcomm/Bsci at USYD. I just wondering cause there is a discrepancy between the 2 units, BUSS1020 & MATH1905, I can only do one of these. It says for Bcomm and combined degress I must do BUSS1020 but I intend on a financial math & Stats major which requires MATH1905. So can anyone clarify how I overcome this problem.

Also as a side question how similar is econometrics to the financial math and stats major? I did 4U math and want to also major in math, so is econometrics a simpler or dumbed down version of stats. i.e. there is no point in doing the econometrics major if I do Financial math and statistics. So I should work to another major like accounting, computer sci, economics.

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont think you need to do BUSS1020. Just stick to MATH1905. However if you enrol in BUSS1020, don't fret if you can't do MATH1905. Just apply for special permission to do something else like MATH1004 Discrete Mathematics.

MLG Wood

HSC
Thanks, cause when I was enrolling I put BUSS1020. I then tried to enter MATH1905 but then a message came up and said I can't do it cause of BUSS1020. At the moment I have MATH1905, cause it seems more mathematical, as one of my 2nd Semester units but should I just ask the uni in 0-week.

pHyRe

HSC
Commerce/Science students actually have to do BUSS1030 over MATH1005/1905. The fine print is here: http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/business_school/b_commerce_science/b_com_science_structure.shtml

But still contact the Business School and see if they can make an exception.
it does say it, but its just bs. i reckon to get some more money cuz 6cp > 3cp.

imo do math1005 or 1905. 1905 is quite tricky from what i heard (a few poor-avg marks) and also killed a lot of ppl's desire to do stats. it gets a lot better in 2nd/3rd year though

i did buss1020 and regreted it because it wasted an elective.

edit: p.s. i know many people who did math1005/1905 within comm/science so unless theyve changed it you dont need an exception or anything

Last edited:

MLG Wood

HSC
That does help a lot, I think it is bs. Is it because both units have similar content?

Anyway that at least answers the first question. Do any of you guys know anyone who can answer my side question on the similarities of econometrics to the Financial math and stats major? i.e. should I bother with econometrics if I'm already doing quite a bit of stats.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yes, they pretty much teach the same things. If they let you enrol in MATH1905 fair enough, you'll probably get more out of that than BUSS1020 anyway, just keep in mind you may want to apply for credit for BUSS1020 through Sydney Student, because it would still be listed as a subject you need to do. I'm getting towards the end of my degree now and I've created all sorts of administrative havoc for myself because I did 15 credit points of junior maths instead of 12. It just goes to show that you can do things that violate your degree requirements that may come back to effect you later on, so be careful.

As for econometrics, I would think that it would be a very good complementary major to statistics. Statistics goes more into the theory, and also touches on examples from across all sciences, meanwhile econometrics is more pragmatic in its approach, and refines the skills that you learn in a specific business/economics context.

MLG Wood

HSC
Yes, they pretty much teach the same things. If they let you enrol in MATH1905 fair enough, you'll probably get more out of that than BUSS1020 anyway, just keep in mind you may want to apply for credit for BUSS1020 through Sydney Student, because it would still be listed as a subject you need to do. I'm getting towards the end of my degree now and I've created all sorts of administrative havoc for myself because I did 15 credit points of junior maths instead of 12. It just goes to show that you can do things that violate your degree requirements that may come back to effect you later on, so be careful.

As for econometrics, I would think that it would be a very good complementary major to statistics. Statistics goes more into the theory, and also touches on examples from across all sciences, meanwhile econometrics is more pragmatic in its approach, and refines the skills that you learn in a specific business/economics context.

Thanks that clarifies most of my questions. Well then that settles that econometrics sounds good to me, I was just worried thinking there was way too much overlap for both majors. So much so that it would be kinda pointless and time would best be spent in other areas.

pHyRe

HSC
That does help a lot, I think it is bs. Is it because both units have similar content?

Anyway that at least answers the first question. Do any of you guys know anyone who can answer my side question on the similarities of econometrics to the Financial math and stats major? i.e. should I bother with econometrics if I'm already doing quite a bit of stats.
had the same question as you, I'm doing FMAS.

i would say, FMAS (or stats) + econ is far better than an econometrics major. econmetrics is basically stats applied to economics.

depends on your interests, ecmt1020 which is part of the econ major will give you a good idea of econemtrics.

pm me if you have any more questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)