buttons on keyboard and winamp (1 Viewer)

spleen

ok...i got one of those fancy keyboards with the play/next/previous/stop etc button on the top...and the keys work fine with windows media player but winamp seems to ignore them...anyone know how i can make winamp my bitch and force it to obey me?

Huy

HSC
N/A
When you purchased your keyboard, did it come with any software installation CDs?

For example, Honeywell, iTouch (for Logitech), or Microsoft IntelliType?

Windows may recognise such 'special' buttons as their default buttons (for example, Play will play, etc).

But if you've got the software that comes with it (drivers, application software running in the background, launchers, etc), then install that and give it a whirl.

Otherwise, what's wrong with using Z, X, C, V, B or the Winamp shortcut keys, (using the number pad). ;)

My favs:
Number 3 on the numpad,
. (the period button on the numpad) to find songs,
you can also use 7,8,9
4,5,6 etc.

And "0" is useful as well.

If all else fails, then visit the support website of the keyboard manufacturer, they'll have something there for you to read/download. :)

Can you tell me the keyboard model, manufacturer, etc spleen?

Last edited:

spleen

microsoft multimedia kayboard 1.0A...theres also a product code but thats too long to type out. i'm gonna go try to find the cd.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spleen
microsoft multimedia kayboard 1.0A
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/keyboard/download.asp

If you're using Windows XP:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...2-4f09-9540-f2d830b50930/ITP2_22EngALLMsi.exe

That'll give you IntelliType Pro,
for other versions, see the abovementioned URL.

I don't own a Microsoft Keyboard (only Honeywell and Logitech ones), but hopefully that will let you customise/configure things, having a look at the options.

Here you go spleen, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/keyboard/supported.asp

Microsoft keyboard Hot Keys work with programs that use the WM_APPCOMMAND API, which is a standardized way for programs to receive Hot Key commands on Windows operating system. Many newer programs are already using the WM_APPCOMMAND API, and more are in development. IntelliType Pro keyboard software does emulate this functionality for certain popular programs that do not use the WM_APPCOMMAND API so that these programs will respond to Hot Key presses.

Supported programs that use the WM_APPCOMMAND API may behave slightly differently than programs for which IntelliType emulates this functionality. For example, the media commands may only work when an WM_APPCOMMAND API program is the active window.

Both the programs that use WM_APPCOMMAND API and those that IntelliType Pro software emulates this functionality for are listed above. This list will be updated as new programs migrate to the WM_APPCOMMAND API.

Supported media players
Apple QuickTime version 4.1
ATI Multimedia Center (native support in versions 7.0 and later)
Creative PlayCenter version 1.51.23 (OEM version)
Microsoft CD Player (Windows 98 and later versions)
Microsoft Deluxe CD Player (Windows 98 and later versions)
Microsoft Windows Media Player (native support in versions 7.0 and later)
Musicmatch Jukebox (native support in versions 5.10.0149 and later)
Nullsoft Winamp version 2.6x
Ravisent CineMaster DVD 98/99 and 2000
Real Networks RealJukebox version 2.0
Real Networks RealPlayer version 8.0
Sonique Player version 1.30.4
Voyetra AudioStation 32 version 1.03.09

Good news for Winamp users :)

And if that weren't enough,
Here's a download that is available from Nullsoft/Winamp themselves:

Before you download it, this is for Winamp 3.x (2.6x and above will not require this plugin/download, so make sure you're using 3.x, which will require this download to use the buttons on MS keyboards)

WM_AppCommand Media Key Component
http://www.winamp.com/components3/detail.jhtml?componentId=125680

Featured Component, January 9, 2003.
Winamp3 keyboard media key support. This tiny Winamp3 component will allow you to use the media keys on your Microsoft Keyboard, or any similar input device, that generates WM_APPCOMMAND messages. Just install and the buttons should work (no config needed), readme is displayed on the first page of installer. --- Requires Windows 2000 or later. --- FIXED: multiple messages. No more skipping multiple tracks with one press, and no more rapid pause/play problems. --- NOTE: Not needed for Winamp2. For more sophisticated control options try RM-X.

:)

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
although the buttons are pre-setted to respond to Microsoft's media player, the keys can be possibly edited via a registry tweak, i'm not too sure, as i'm not a winamp user, more so a WMP 9 user, but i'd higly advise you to head your way to the forums at Neowin

http://www.neowin.net

they can surely help you

Just ask Huy, he knows it ;-)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Thank you both ;) :D
lol MSKB freak! :p

so ur the freak who writes the MSKB lol

no wonder it doesnt make sense lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)