Buying new iMac... (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
I'm planning to a buy a new iMac just before uni starts, since I've decided I need a new PC, and want to take a learning curve and get a mac.

I was surprised that they didn't announce updates to/new iMacs at Macworld 09. Does anyone expect them to update the iMac very soon, or release new ones? If so, when should we expect new iMacs for purchase?
When would be the best time to buy?

Also, does the 24" screen really have better quality than the 20", as I've heard?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
doubtful they'll bring a new one out in the immediate future... but you can never really future proof. If you'd be willing to wait a year or something then obviously computer's will probably be cheaper (financial crisis LOL) and you'll get better gear...

But like, if you want a nice computer now... Go for the Imac. To save a bit of money make sure you upgrade your own ram.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Enteebee said:
doubtful they'll bring a new one out in the immediate future... but you can never really future proof. If you'd be willing to wait a year or something then obviously computer's will probably be cheaper (financial crisis LOL) and you'll get better gear...

But like, if you want a nice computer now... Go for the Imac. To save a bit of money make sure you upgrade your own ram.
It's likely they'll refresh iMacs before the middle of the year because they've been around for quite a while already...

danz90

HSC
Enteebee said:
To save a bit of money make sure you upgrade your own ram.
Yeah, that's true. They charge like $240 for 2gb to 4gb RAM upgrade, LOL

Although, they ship the computer with 2x1gb sticks.. and I think that there is only like 2 DDR2 slots in the iMac, correct me if I'm wrong. They kinda get u there..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, that's true. They charge like $240 for 2gb to 4gb RAM upgrade, LOL

Although, they ship the computer with 2x1gb sticks.. and I think that there is only like 2 DDR2 slots in the iMac, correct me if I'm wrong. They kinda get u there..
Not really, you can get 4gb of better quality ram for much cheaper.

dolbinau

HSC
I ended up buying a 20" Refurb iMac for $1229 which although still inflated was pretty good in comparison to the current iMac prices.

They haven't been updated since April of 2008 IIRC, It will be ridiculous if they don't update them ASAP.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Personally I would wait till a new imac is released, then when they are clearing out old stock, snatch up a bargain... not sure if it works this way in all stores, i know someone at work though that got one of the old macbooks, heaps cheap when the new ones came out

Sayangliss

HSC
Eh if you're going to start Uni soon, wait till you get your uni student card. Then you get 10%? or something discount if you purchase your iMac from an approved retail store (check the apple site for details) or over the phone or online. I'm pretty certain this deal is still available..

Why not get a new Macbook pro? They did release new advances for that one. Doubt a normal Macbook is going to get updated.
As for new iMacs.. dernoe, if anyone's seen the news lately, Apple seems pretty busy in trying to fend of any investors that want to sue over Steve Job's private health issues. So there probably won't be any major upgrades.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Eh if you're going to start Uni soon, wait till you get your uni student card. Then you get 10%? or something discount if you purchase your iMac from an approved retail store (check the apple site for details) or over the phone or online. I'm pretty certain this deal is still available..

Why not get a new Macbook pro? They did release new advances for that one. Doubt a normal Macbook is going to get updated.
As for new iMacs.. dernoe, if anyone's seen the news lately, Apple seems pretty busy in trying to fend of any investors that want to sue over Steve Job's private health issues. So there probably won't be any major upgrades.
The macbook was upgraded, as was the pro (they now have the same shell design).

I'd say hang out for a few months if you can, and definitely wait for your student card so you can get the discount at least.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Buy a refurb. They cost 20-40% less than a brand new one, with no discernable difference. Essentially, Apple has paid the first years depreciation for you even though the iMac will not be a year old.

Re: Jobs health etc, i don't think that is a reason why the iMac won't be updated in the near future. I think they are just putting a fair bit of their resources into Snow Leopard. The only major updates are when Intel releases a new chip anyway.

5233andy

HSC
If you're in Uni or studying at TAFE, you're entitled to what may seem as a free iPod when bundled with your Mac. The iPod is only free if you're eligible for the $179 rebate.

Well... 'free' isn't the best word to use, perhaps 'discounted' would better suit it.

danz90

HSC
If you're in Uni or studying at TAFE, you're entitled to what may seem as a free iPod when bundled with your Mac. The iPod is only free if you're eligible for the $179 rebate.

Well... 'free' isn't the best word to use, perhaps 'discounted' would better suit it.
Yeah I got an email with this offer. I'll buy my iMac from the Apple Education Store anyway, which saves me around $200 in itself.

dolbinau

HSC
Rumor mill says iMacs could be delayed further for quad-core - It's embarrassing how outdated all three of Apple's desktops are ATM.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
yeah i know hey, and i actually raised a good point in there too.

sunny

meh.
HSC
ohai :wave: *waves modstick* some young'n tool wants to start a flame war, meh. Don't feed the trolls.

danz90

HSC
Apple is now trying to get rid of the current/old inventory, ahead of introducing the new iMacs.
Hopefully should see new iMacs in Feb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)