Calculating GPA (1 Viewer)

hk31

HSC
hey all!

i have my WAM for first semester....now....how do i calculate my GPA?!

thanks

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
firstly translate your grade into value points HD = 7, D = 6, C = 5, P = 4, F = ?

GPA is an average of all your grade points:

GPA = (subject A credit value multiply by grade value point + subject B credit value multiply by grade value point + subject C credit value multiply by grade value point etc...) divided by total number of credit points.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yup thats right. F = 0. Or in the case of UTS, that would be a Z not a F.

So if you had 2 HDs and 2 Ds, then thats:

(7 + 7 + 6 + 6) / 4 = 6.5 GPA

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Oh sorry the above way is the *simple* way of doing it, assuming all your subjects are 6 credit points. If not, then do it Frigid's way, which turns out the same answer in my example.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
shit - there is indeed a large difference between a mark of 49 and a mark of 50 (a 4 grade-point difference). :(

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well a 49 is a fail, so it shouldn't be counted towards ure GPA unfortunately since you don't get credited for a failed subject, so it makes sense not to count it towards your GPA.

However, a 49 could get you a conceeded pass, which I'm not sure is a 4 or could be a 3 or 2, not too sure about that one.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Jase, F is the catch-all for UTS' various fail codes (Z for outright fail, X for final-exam fail, others for other fails).

A fail DOES count towards your GPA, because it indicates failure to reach a certain level of competency over a given time. Fails totally demolish what may have been a perfect GPA (reducing the coveted perfect HD streak 7.0 to a mere Credit average). Avoid failing at all costs, even if it means begging for a CP - at least then you have a few points for the subject, you don't have to repeat it, and you don't have to pay again.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised I didn't even explain why fails count. You see, since you fail a subject you don't do well enough in that subject to receive any recognition - you have not earned the award. However, the subject still appears on your academic transcript (since you still studied the subject and attempted the exam). The GPA is a calculation of your average performance across all subjects appearing in your academic transcript (except in specifically defined cases - check with your faculty). Thus your performance in four subjects is the average of your GPA ranks in the four - including any fails.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Sorry I guess what I meant to say if that why its counted as a 0 is that it bears no credit towards the progression of your degree, however yes it does count towards your GPA obviously. I didn't quite mean to type what I did in the first line.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Hey does anyone know if when UAC takes half of your UAI and half of your University grades when recalculating your entrance rank, do they take your WAM or GPA? So do they classify a Distinction average as 6.0 GPA or 75 WAM:confused:? Thanks:).

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
I think they calculate it based on GPA and it is then turned into an equivalent UAI.

hk31

HSC
evilc said:
I think they calculate it based on GPA and it is then turned into an equivalent UAI.
hmm..so does anyone know what a GPA of 6 is equivalent to for UAI?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)