calculation for the number of photons?! (1 Viewer)

Gillywilly

HSC
yeah.. so anyone remember what/how they got an answer for that question??
it kinda threw me off :D

THANKS

Joshrerts

HSC
i got something to the power of 18 i think.

i just found out the energy of one photon and then divided the needed energy by the energy i calculated and done! :D

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
The answer is 2.26x10^15 photons. You find the photon energy from the given wavelength, then divide the total energy by photon energy.

I think the wavelength was 450nm and the given total energy was 1x10^-3 J.

Gillywilly

HSC
The answer is 2.26x10^15 photons. You find the photon energy from the given wavelength, then divide the total energy by photon energy.

I think the wavelength was 450nm and the given total energy was 1x10^-3 J.

oh really?! i thught you had to multiply that answer by 1.602 x 10^-19 to get the number of photons.. SIGH!!
went a step too far..

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
I did something dodgy mid calculation...got some huge retarded number. Hopefully my method resembled something like that so I get at least 1-2 marks for it :S.

packwolf

HSC
Argh, How many marks can i get for forgetting to convert nm to meters?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I went through pretty much this EXACT question with my class, except it was a 1mW laser with wavelength 700nm.

Most of them remembered :) YAYYYY

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
I went through pretty much this EXACT question with my class, except it was a 1mW laser with wavelength 700nm.

Most of them remembered :) YAYYYY
What would you have written for the question where they asked you to compare/contrast(?) the difference between the 1MW red and blue laser?

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
never encountered this type of question before, it had me stumped

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
What would you have written for the question where they asked you to compare/contrast(?) the difference between the 1MW red and blue laser?
We did this exact question too, haha. It's from a past paper.

It was contrast, so differences only.

I would talk about the differences in individual energies of the photons of red/blue light and then the fact that there must be more photons in the red light as the power is the same, but photons of red light have a lower energy.

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
We did this exact question too, haha. It's from a past paper.

It was contrast, so differences only.

I would talk about the differences in individual energies of the photons of red/blue light and then the fact that there must be more photons in the red light as the power is the same, but photons of red light have a lower energy.
HELL YEAH! I talked about the the difference in energies and then how the red light must have a greater intensity relative to the blue light since they have the same power.

SnowTau

HSC
no way!

I had NO idea what I was doing. I decided to use E = hf and ended up with E = hc/lambda (obviously), and got a number. From there I was just like... uhh wat. I wasn't even sure what that number was telling me to be honest, kinda missed this stuff. Then, in the question there was an energy value greater than the one I had so I was like meh, lets divide and bam got that answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)